Photo

Movie theatres & movie filming in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#461 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:16 PM

i'm hearing the octopus teacher documentary is good.

I look forward to hearing what todd has to say about that.

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#462 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:14 PM

I look forward to hearing what todd has to say about that.

I haven’t got past the trailer yet to be honest. Lately been streaming 3rd Rock From the Sun, it’s never on cable anymore had watched all the episodes about five times but haven’t watched it in at least 10 years. It’s a good show almost forgot about it.

Always remember standing on an outfall when out of a crack a good size tentacle appeared sticking straight in the air and then back in. I swear it happened. Near the Victoria Golf Club.

#463 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

why can't we buy/rent individual movies and TV shows a la carte?

like if i want to see one move (nomadland - disney) or one TV series (curb your enthusiasm -hbo plus) why can't i just be offered whatever rate they want and i can watch it once on its own streaming system?

it seems  bit regressive.  in the 90's we could go to blockbuster and rent any film or tv series (when available, for TV) we wanted to.

now we have to subscribe to certain services and hope they have it.  i understand they do not want to offer it at $5.99 and potentially lose their subscription base but it seems silly we can not watch it for $30 if we want to.

Makes no sense. Why complicate things. Just sign up for 1 month, and it'll be a lot cheaper than that $30.

#464 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:48 PM

the idea is I do not want to sign up to 11 different services.

#465 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:01 PM

You can rent or buy Curb on iTunes, and Nomadland is also on iTunes US so you would need a VPN. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it on Canadian iTunes soon.

Matt.

#466 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:03 PM

Remember when Netflix was mail order, then they got kiosks in Safeway?

My family got out of the video store biz just in time, lol.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#467 E2V

E2V
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:20 AM

Apparently, Netflix still does BluRay mail order disc rental in the US as a nod to their original customer base.

#468 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

You can rent or buy Curb on iTunes, and Nomadland is also on iTunes US so you would need a VPN. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it on Canadian iTunes soon.

Matt.

Never been a big Curb fan it's OK though.

• Matt R. likes this

#469 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:29 AM

I'm not generally a movie goer but went to West Side Story at Silver City IMAX.

At the advertised show time there were 19 commercials and three short movie previews. 20 minutes later the actual movie started. If I do ever go again I'll either arrive late or take a good book and noise cancelling headphones.
  • Nparker, phx and Barrrister like this

#470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:36 AM

I'm not generally a movie goer but went to West Side Story at Silver City IMAX.

At the advertised show time there were 19 commercials and three short movie previews. 20 minutes later the actual movie started. If I do ever go again I'll either arrive late or take a good book and noise cancelling headphones.

Then you had to sit through 2.45 hours.

#471 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 12:35 PM

Did you buy a $15 popcorn and coke?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#472 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 03:10 PM

Great opportunity for a Cineplex Odeon employee to move up to $110,000/year salary job at the museum theatre.

https://bcpublicserv...ting/view/90491

#473 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 03:17 PM

And just a month ago this position wasn't going to exist beyond September of this year.

#474 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:55 PM

Popular YouTubers Steve Wallis (left) from Edmonton, and his American friend ‘Mav,’ from Minnesota, met up on Vancouver Island recently to film their latest adventure featuring Sooke’s Prestige Hotel, where the duo boarded a boat and went fishing.

After several hours on the water, the two travel further inland for a night of camping.

https://youtu.be/1_dEtzxbjJQ

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#475 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:35 AM

Sidney star cinema grand reopening scheduled tonight Nov 4 in its new building.

http://starcinema.ca/

I walked by and snuck a picture through the window. Looks like a few odds and ends to finish before the open doors.

Looking forward to their popcorn again. Best in the CRD.

Attached Images

• 4D398371-DBDB-4D26-A133-7EC659FF77A6.jpeg

• Nparker likes this

#476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:39 AM

Nice!

Know it all.

#477 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 09:24 PM

Plans for a film studio on the campus of a Saanich post-secondary school continue to move forward.

Camosun College announced on Thursday (Feb. 23) that it had selected Visionary Education Technology Holdings Group Inc., a global education provider headquartered in Toronto, to help develop the studio that would include educational components.

Camosun issued a call last September for companies to step forward to be pre-qualified to design, build and fund a film studio and digital media education centre in exchange for a 99-year lease.

screenshot-www.vicnews.com-2023.02.24-00_25_42.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2023 - 09:26 PM.

#478 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 01:14 PM

The initial steps with Visionary Group was great news for South Island film commissioner Kathleen Gilbert, who’s been pushing for sound stages for a decade and has been part of a consulting team at Camosun. “I’ve said it so many times, but I’ll say it again — sound stages will be game changers for our local film industry.”

Sound stages are big soundproof buildings with high ceilings that allow movie makers to create sets inside. Victoria is well known — and quite popular — for its outdoor locations, but Gilbert said major productions want sound stages in their shooting locations for continuity and economic reasons. A film crew might be here to shoot outdoors and then have to go to Vancouver for sound-stage filming.

“We can always attract the $10-million productions here, but to get the $200-million shows here, you need sound stages,” said Gilbert.

The local film industry has relied on warehouses as sound stages for decades.

During production of the Netflix series Maid — a $30-million production and one of the largest ever for Greater Victoria — crews used the empty Home Outfitters store in Tillicum mall as a sound stage.

https://www.timescol...forward-6608005

#479 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 03:18 AM

Racers will be coming to Victoria on next week’s episode of the Amazing Race Canada.

Teaser clips at the end of last week’s episode showed flashes of popular locations around the city, including Craidarroch Castle, where host Jon Montgomery teased racers will experience “fright night in the middle of the day.”

Teams will also “fight their fears” at the Victoria Bug Zoo, according to the trailer.

The Malahat Skywalk also posted a photo of the famous red and yellow Amazing Race clue box on its Instagram, hinting it might be another featured location.

Other challenges hinted in the clips include physical boot camp and tent-building tasks while dressed in Canadian military fatigues, as well as a paddle boarding challenge.

The episode will premiere next Tuesday (July 25) at 9 p.m. PST on CTV.

In the show’s most recently aired episode, which premiered Tuesday night (July 18), teams raced through Vancouver, Whistler and Pemberton.

https://www.vancouve...canada-episode/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2023 - 03:19 AM.

#480 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 07:43 AM

For a true "fright night during the day", racers should be made to navigate the 900 block of Pandora Avenue.
  • LJ and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users