#441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

Ok, stonk trader.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#442 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

What the actual ...that's bonkers. I had no idea you could do that.

Next VV Christmas party.......

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#443 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:47 PM

i sure picked the wrong year to open a new shadow puppet theatre here.  i was hoping to make $80,000 to $90,000 per year.  of course, those are just projected figures.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2021 - 05:48 PM.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#444 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:59 AM

Dammit VW, you got a chuckle out of me.

~ Jasmine ~

#445 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:21 AM

i sure picked the wrong year to open a new shadow puppet theatre here.  i was hoping to make $80,000 to $90,000 per year.  of course, those are just projected figures.

Is that $80-90K no strings attached? 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#446 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

Canadian acting legend, Christopher Plummer, passes away at 91.  :(

https://www.ctvnews....at-91-1.5297443

#447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:49 AM

Is that $80-90K no strings attached? 

Well, it's tethered to the cruise lines being able to anchor in Victoria, I'm sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#448 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,613 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:03 PM

Canadian acting legend, Christopher Plummer, passes away at 91.  :(

https://www.ctvnews....at-91-1.5297443

The man was a GIANT in the acting, theatrical and even music worlds for over seven decades (in addition to his brilliance on stage, in movies and television he was an accomplished concert pianist among other things), the likes of which we'll probably never see again. Grounded in the best Shakespearean tradition and influenced by such diverse authors as Chekov and George Bernard Shaw, Plummer was truly an extraordinary actor and a proud Canadian. It was gratifying to see that CBC did a nice segment on his brilliant career and the man behind it tonight. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#449 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 08:02 AM

I was sad to see his passing. The lights are fading on my generation of actors that I grew up with. It is a pressing reminder of how quickly all of our stories end.

#450 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

Hallmark is back filming on the island. "The Baker's Son" was filming in Chemainus last week, and is apparently in Brentwood Bay now. Next stop for filming is Oak Bay.

https://www.chemainu...neer-day-event/

• Mike K. likes this

#451 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:48 AM

Peter Dinklage in town filming American Dreamer: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13884444/ :

https://vancouverisl...oria-1.5375599 

#452 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:27 AM

Hollywood loves Victoria—but why is Victoria never itself on screen?

A film production with big names shoots here this week—with Victoria standing in for Boston.  As usual

https://www.capitald...-loves-victoria

#453 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:44 AM

Hollywood loves Victoria—but why is Victoria never itself on screen?

That's a weird story (even for Capital Daily) ... it's the screenwriter that determines where a story takes place, it has nothing to do with the Producers choice of where a movie is actually filmed?

Screenwriters generally don't pick small west coast, out of country towns (like Victoria) as a location for their tale, especially when 95% of their target market is located south of the border.

Equally, 95%+ of the shows filmed in Vancouver (one of the worlds truly major filming locations) ... don't actually sport a story which takes place in Vancouver.

Such is show business ... it's all an illusion ... fake news if you will.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#454 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:54 AM

That's a weird story (even for Capital Daily) ... it's the screenwriter that determines where a story takes place, it has nothing to do with the Producers choice of where a movie is actually filmed?

But the article mentions "Alienated". The director says he wanted it set in Vancouver. When CityTV got the Victoria license Alienated became part of the promise to create local content, hence Victoria as the new location.

#455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 04:02 AM

why can't we buy/rent individual movies and TV shows a la carte?

like if i want to see one move (nomadland - disney) or one TV series (curb your enthusiasm -hbo plus) why can't i just be offered whatever rate they want and i can watch it once on its own streaming system?

it seems  bit regressive.  in the 90's we could go to blockbuster and rent any film or tv series (when available, for TV) we wanted to.

now we have to subscribe to certain services and hope they have it.  i understand they do not want to offer it at $5.99 and potentially lose their subscription base but it seems silly we can not watch it for $30 if we want to.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 April 2021 - 04:03 AM.

#456 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

Fewer people tuned in to see "Nomadland" crowned best picture than any other Oscars ceremony to date. 

The show, which saw numerous celebrities take the stage to comment on or reference former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin’s murder conviction and police brutality in general, earned record-low ratings as the show adjusted its venue and schedule in order to accommodate safety concerns due to the coronavirus

According to Variety, citing early Nielsen numbers, an average of 9.85 million viewers watched the show Sunday evening, which is a 58.3%, 13.75 million viewer drop-off from last year. In addition, the show earned a mere 1.9 rating among the key demographic of adults age 18-49.

https://www.foxnews....ings-record-low

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 April 2021 - 10:49 AM.

#457 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

Did they talk about how LA's skid row was cleared of homeless people ahead of the event held at Union Station?

Know it all.

#458 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

Never heard of it.

Matt.

#459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:08 PM

i'm hearing the octopus teacher documentary is good.

#460 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:15 PM

i'm hearing the octopus teacher documentary is good.

Thank you.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users