Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:04 AM

maybe we should build a multi hundred million dollar incineration plant
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#83 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:16 PM

Looks like the gvrd burns a lot of garbage.

http://www.metrovanc...es/default.aspx

Matt.

#84 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:30 PM

I thought burning garbage can be profitable?

#85 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,788 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

it probably only is if you don’t have to scrub the particulates. and/or if you have an immediate use for the heat. not sure burning it here to convert to grid electricity is effective.

#86 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 05:05 PM

it probably only is if you don’t have to scrub the particulates. and/or if you have an immediate use for the heat. not sure burning it here to convert to grid electricity is effective.

Gvrd sells $8,000,000 in garbage electricity every year and also sells the metals.

Matt.

#87 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

Vancouver-Landfill-Google-Maps.png

Isn't that very close to farm fields?

#88 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

Of bigger concern would be the wetland bog that borders it. Pretty much impossible to stop the leaching of metals and other toxins in that direction.

Vancouver-Landfill-Google-Maps.png

Isn't that very close to farm fields?

#89 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:45 AM

Of bigger concern would be the wetland bog that borders it. Pretty much impossible to stop the leaching of metals and other toxins in that direction.

Much of what you now perceive as "wetland bog" is actually reclaimed landfill from decades past.

All professionally managed, and completely under the control of a litany of municipal and provincial inspectors and engineers.

https://vancouver.ca...nual-report.pdf

#90 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

^ Was it originally a proper sanitary landfill?

#91 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:47 AM

A little leachate adds flavour?

#92 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:04 PM

Here we go...three years of crash...bang...boom in the Heals Valley.

You gotta love how the CRD slides this stuff out on a Friday afternoon with a VERY short notice of a mandatory site meeting 3 business days later. One would almost think that they have their short list of contractors at the ready. 

CAPITAL REGIONAL DISTRICT

HARTLAND LANDFILL
LANDFILL AIRSPACE/AGGREGATE PRODUCTION 2021, 2022 AND 2023

CONTRACT 30.21.04-01

INVITATION TO TENDER

Sealed Tenders, plainly marked on the envelope "Tender for Hartland Landfill - Landfill Airspace/Aggregate Production 2021, 2022 and 2023, Contract 30.21.04-01" will be received by the General Manager, Parks & Environmental Services of the Capital Regional District at their offices at 625 Fisgard Street, Victoria, British Columbia up to 2:00:00 p.m. local time on Wednesday, June, 16, 2021, at which time they will be opened in public.

The works to be constructed under this Contract generally include the following:

The work covered by these Specifications consists of the stripping, drilling, blasting, grading. breaking, crushing, screening, hauling, placing, and stockpiling, of rock materials at Hartland landfill.  Specifically, the work involves the provision of labour and materials to strip, drill, blast, and extract rock from some 445,000 m3 of in-situ rock and site preparation materials.

This work will be done in two (2) phases over three (3) calendar years. .Specifications, Drawings, Contract Documents, and Tender Form may be downloaded from www.crd.bc.ca/about/contracts-rfps/ and at www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca.

The lowest or any tender will not necessarily be accepted.

A mandatory pre-tender site meeting will be held at Hartland Landfill Learning Centre, #1 Hartland Avenue at 1:30:00 p.m., local time on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.

#93 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:30 PM

One would almost think that they have their short list of contractors at the ready. 

Have known people in purchasing over the years who have told me that every once in a while someone figures out that a contract should have gone out to tender that did not. They then run a process after the fact to cover their butts. Usually competitors that complain get another contract and/or they time or word the RFP in such a way that only the company that won bids anyways.

Not saying that is what is going on here as I don't know.

Read any AG report at any level of Government and they always point out issues with procurement.

Here are my favorites that I have seen over the years to drive a contract to a single vendor

- Timelines so tight that nobody can properly price and bid but of course the preferred vendor had the details ahead of time.

- Requirements that only one company can meet which were taken from the preferred vendors spec sheet.

- Made up certifications that the vendor must have that nobody can validate.

- Insurance or registration requirements that are impossible to get but are then waived for the preferred vendor after the contract is awarded

- Scopes of work that are far greater than what is needed but then scaled back to match what the preferred vendor has proposed

- Requirements that are not in the RFP but become decision points in selection.

Edited by spanky123, 14 May 2021 - 01:40 PM.

#94 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:40 AM

9A47158F-4276-4F71-9763-FA2D8E7E04BF.jpeg
  • Mike K. and Spy Black like this

#95 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:14 PM

octopus-flying.jpg

• Nparker, todd and Fox like this

#96 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:27 PM

I had the drone out yesterday.

Do you think they will have to rename the dump to Willis once the change the access point?

Hartland.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#97 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:33 PM

The Johnson Street Bridge kept its name after it was more directly aligned with Pandora Avenue.

JSB.png

#98 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:40 PM

Will I still be able to access Killarney lake from Hartland ave once it's changed?

#99 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:55 PM

I believe so. That was one of the excuses for moving the vehicle access.

#100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,788 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 04:25 AM

Landfill section nears capacity as CRD grants $11M for Hartland’s next phase

New landfilling rates set for Jan. 1 aim to incentivize salvaging and reusing materials

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users