• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,337 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

Buckerfields is *****ing about recycling again:

https://www.saanichn...t-be-addressed/

The purpose of the submission is to publicly state two of the most serious reasons why in my opinion a Judicial Public Inquiry into the administration of Blue Box recycling in British Columbia is required.

We cannot stand idly by while the government uses it regulatory authority to force us to sign contracts, thereby encroaching on, and diminishing our ‘freedom to contract’.

If we allow the government to do this to ‘corporate citizens’, we invite the government to do this to ‘private citizens’. Freedom to contract and the admonition not to interfere with it lightly, applies equally.

Second, we cannot stand idly by while the government uses its regulatory authority to raise money to pay for public sector programs outside the BC Legislature. Legislative control over taxation and the results of government expenditures has been fundamental to our democracy since the days when we took the power of arbitrary and preferential taxation away from kings. We must not allow the return of such arbitrary and totalitarian practices in our province.

Third, we are entitled to be provided with complete, valid and accurate performance measurement information about every public-sector program that we pay for. If the information we are provided is incorrect from a public policy standpoint, we need to demand and receive the correct information so we can assess the merits and the shortcomings not only of the program themselves, but of the governments that administer them.

[Warning: Long]

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,567 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Our property manager has informed us that all garbage/recycling contractors are no longer accepting glass in their recycling and have advised us to throw out all glass in the garbage bin...

I seem to recall my strata was told the same thing, although as of last night there was still a bin labelled "glass only" along side our other recycling bins.

I should have updated this sooner, but a few weeks ago the "glass only" bin was removed from the recycling station at my building and we have been directed to put all our glass into the garbage dumpster.

#63 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,091 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:41 AM

Haven't heard of anything yet for our building :/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#64 todd

todd
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

Maybe this is why I've been having problems with bottle kids lately luckily chased them down provided them with brooms and bucket to restore the problem :whyme: . https://www.youtube....bed/bbXNW1TvCJ4

#65 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:16 PM

I finally remembered to take my phone with me when I took out the trash in my building, considering our glass bin was removed back in August.  Waste Management has had this poster up for weeks attributing the removal of glass recycling on "new recycling legislation in BC".

Attached Images

• photo.JPG

#66 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,000 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

Well, the CRD still says to just separate it: https://www.crd.bc.c...on-refundable- 

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,091 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

I'm not sure it's a "legislation" thing per that sign, but rather commodity values have tanked now that China won't take our waste and it's no longer worth capturing these items separately. 

Our contractor hasn't given us any direction yet.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,567 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:35 PM

On the plus side, my recycling bin is getting lighter, even as my garbage bags are getting heavier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users