Photo

Waste Management / Hartland Landfill

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 06:09 AM

More like new rates incentivize illegal dumping (and backyard burning of garbage…)

Seriously, shouldn’t we make it cheap and easy to do the right thing? I’ve never seen so much drywall on the side of logging roads as when they made it nearly impossible to dump drywall without getting it asbestos certified first. Great idea on paper… but counterproductive in reality.

#102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 06:12 AM

What’s wrong with drywall in the dump? Other than volume? It breaks down ok, no?

Is there a reasonable recycling path for drywall?

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 06:57 AM

Yes, illegal dumping is absolutely on the rise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 07:21 AM

Increased dumping rates: brought to you by the the same people who guaranteed that decriminalization of illicit drugs would reduce overdose deaths. 🙄

#105 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 07:27 AM

What’s wrong with drywall in the dump? Other than volume? It breaks down ok, no?

Asbestos in most drywall from pre 2000s iirc. Apparently unsafe for dump workers moreso than bad for the environment, I think that’s the idea.

#106 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:24 AM

But asbestos was safe and effective for decades! That’s right, everything the experts said up until today was a lie and caused great harm to us all. From today forward it’s nothing but the truth and what’s truly best for us!
  • Nparker likes this

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:27 AM

The trades tell me they don't care about asbestos exposure one bit.

Don't know who to believe on that one.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:29 AM

The experts won't tell you this, but drywall is actually very good for loosening clay soils, which we have a lot of in Victoria. Something about the gypsum in it.

Mike is gonna love this. When I did a reno a few years back, some of the drywall went into a corner of my backyard where it was tilled into the clay soil. Over 5 years tt's broken down so well there are no visible traces of the drywall. The soil does seem improved somewhat, but I'm not a soils expert. 

#109 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:32 AM

The trades tell me they don't care about asbestos exposure one bit.

Don't know who to believe on that one.

Asbestos is the lazy tradie's best friend. Don't want to do the job? Found some asbestos. 

Companies and guys who want to work do the job regardless. For the most part if you don't disturb it, there's nothing to worry about. I'm actually estimating a job today with significant amount of asbestos to deal with. The owners can pay a fortune to get it remediated, or my guys can gently encapsulate it for a fraction of the cost. Same outcome, more or less.

#110 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:39 AM

Asbestos is the lazy tradie's best friend. Don't want to do the job? Found some asbestos. 

The owners can pay a fortune to get it remediated, or my guys can gently encapsulate it for a fraction of the cost. Same outcome, more or less.

Will they wear masks?  Like... all day? :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#111 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:41 AM

Will they wear masks? Like... all day? :)

A full hazmat suit. I would. I’m not an idiot.

#112 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:00 AM

Will they wear masks?  Like... all day? :)

only if the customer is recently vaccinated and likely to shed their mRNA cooties :D

#113 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:06 AM

only if the customer is recently vaccinated and likely to shed their mRNA cooties :D

Excellent.  Wouldn't want them struggling to breathe all day.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#114 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:43 AM

Thing is, you need to wear your hazmat suite when you go to the bathroom at the restaurant in order to protect them. Otherwise you are a bigot. It's like a seatbelt. 

• Nparker likes this

#115 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:43 AM

bring your cloth mask to a remediation job or my wood shop when im sanding, and you can find out just how well it works!
  • aastra likes this

#116 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2023 - 10:05 AM

bring your cloth mask to a remediation job or my wood shop when im sanding, and you can find out just how well it works!

This is why dust collection systems to control dust at the source exist... 

#117 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 10:35 AM

It's banned partially because it can be recycled which reduces the demand for new gypsum mines.  But mainly because it would take up a large amount of landfill air space and when it breaks down in the landfill it produces Hydrogen Sulfide gas. 

• dasmo and Victoria Watcher like this

#118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 10:48 AM

It's banned partially because it can be recycled which reduces the demand for new gypsum mines.  But mainly because it would take up a large amount of landfill air space and when it breaks down in the landfill it produces Hydrogen Sulfide gas. 

Ah, very good.

What are the local recycling options?  And how much does it cost or refund?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 November 2023 - 10:48 AM.

#119 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 10:58 AM

Ellice Recycling and H&L waste both take it locally.  It was about $260/Tonne last time I took some to them but that was a while back.  You need an Asbestos report unless it is recent off cuts (no mud or tape) with a date code on the back showing its post Asbestos era.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 11:04 AM

I assume one isn't paid $260/tonne to dispose of drywall "properly". It is understandable then with these sort of costs and regulations (e.g. asbestos reports), why people choose to just dump it in the woods.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users