Photo

Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#41 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

Well said, West.

#42 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

FRIENDS OF BEACON HILL PARK

A Guide to Children's Playtime and Revelry.

Step One:
Dress modestly. Dungarees and undershirts are the Devil's clothing.
Step Two: Carry yourself lightly across the landscape. Do not stomp the flora.
Step Three: Perform Godly acts like calisthenics and nature appreciation.
Avoid frivolous diversions such as "giant watering cans", which are Diabolical in nature.

FOBHP
Our motto: "Tonight we're going to party like it's 1882".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#43 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

:smt043
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#44 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

I thought there was a fire in the park today.
Turns out they the fire brigade were just watering the plants:

#45 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

The "No Fun" city strikes again.

Petting zoo could become history
Waste-disposal rules threaten beloved attraction
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, April 18, 2008

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Yeah I am writing a letter.

#47 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

I've never been so angry! Who the **** is running the park ? Who the **** is running this city?! Why are they trying to chase out and sterilize everything that makes the city fun or interesting. The petting zoo?? They're strong arming and ****ing with the petting zoo?! This isn't some big developer putting pressure on grandma to move so he can build a toxic waste dump, it's our own parks board attacking the only fun attraction in the park.

Is there some politics behind this? Is there an actual motive or is it just mindless bureaucracy out of control yet again?

I'm so angry right now! Who the hell is this "smith" interviewed in the article and who the hell does he think he is trying to shut down the zoo?

We should load up a slinger with goat **** and go spray his house down, then uh, I don't know, get some trained peafoul to peck him to death?

Seriously, if this situation doesn't get fixed, if the city doesn't do something about this I'm going to be driven to violence, and the city does not want an angry army of goats running amok! Imagine the LA riots but with people's coats getting chewed on and possibly more jumping up on things.

Although in actual seriousness, this is something I'd do anything to help resolve. I'd be quite up for an angry loud protest outside the park's board or this asshole's house.

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

One of the commenters to that article seems to think tall buildings are to blame.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

Count-down to massive retractions at City Hall.

Don't worry, someone spoke out of turn and without contacting the politicians, this thing will be fixed before the 5pm news, trust me.

#50 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

I certainly hope so.

Where did come from? Who's actually behind it? Parks board? Who makes these idiotic new rules?

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Like I say, someone wasn't thinking. $55/day is nothing to the City budget, it'll get fixed.

#52 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

You guys think the running of the bulls can get violent in spain?

The city streets will run red with blood if these homeless goats rampage through the city. We'd have to turn the falls water features on full blast just to wash douglas street.

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

Apparently, they're already in training.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Apparently, they're already in training.

Let me get this right:

Here is something you don't want to miss! Everyday at 10:10am and 4:10pm we have the running of the goats, otherwise known as the Goat Stampede. In the morning the goats run from their barns into the petting area, and at night they run from the petting area into their barns. Watch the babies as they race to their destination!

So in the morning, they are all anxious to get to the petting area, but at night they are dying to get home. Something tells me food waits at each end to motivate these little critters. They've been brainwashed, on my tax bill!

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:19 PM

One of the commenters to that article seems to think tall buildings are to blame.

I'd like to think you were joking but this is the sort of nonsense that makes Victorians look foolish in the eyes of many living elsewhere.

#56 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

I've been visiting the BHP zoo all my life. Turning parts of it into a petting zoo was a great idea. Thankfully Queenie never lived to see it threatened.

Many negative comments on TC's site.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

The city also wants to keep non-employees out of the work yard, citing safety regulations. As a result, children's farm staff won't be allowed in to dispose of organic waste. Three lawn bowling clubs have also been prohibited from dumping grass clippings.

That's pretty lame too. Why not stop the public from entering city Hall too, citing safety concerns.

But now I'm stumped, the opertor is quoted as saying it would cost $55 a "cubic tonne" to dispose. Wait a minute, since when did we measure weight by shape? How big is a spherical tonne?

#58 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

^^62 comments and counting. Not one sympathizing with the city.

I'm thinking my wife and I should take my daughter and move to Vancouver. At least there are actually things for kids to do there.

Seriously. Non wonder so many kids around here end up on drugs.

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

A kid who can't find things to do in Victoria will fail miserably in ANY other city in Canada.

(Not to suggest that it isn't supremely stupid to shut down the petting zoo.)

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

Maybe instead of animals they could install a huge relief map of BC then the kids could play on that. Is there one of those around anywhere?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users