Photo

Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#81 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:25 AM

Terry Fox Run angers park supporters

Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist
Published: Thursday, September 11, 2008

The 28th annual Terry Fox Run starts this Sunday at a new location, Mile Zero, but a group of Beacon Hill Park supporters is not happy about the change.

The run will start and finish at the Terry Fox monument in the park, following Dallas Road east to a turnaround at St. Charles Street. Previously the run had been held at the University of Victoria.

The Friends of Beacon Hill Park object to the change because of the possible impact on the park, said spokeswoman Helen Oldershaw.

"Mile Zero is in Beacon Hill Park," said Oldershaw in a telephone interview yesterday. Having the run start and finish there will violate the group's aim of preserving the park for future generations, she added.

She's also worried about vehicle parking and increased foot traffic within the park.

"They'll be walking over Garry oak ecosystems to get to Mile Zero," she said.

Oldershaw added that she felt the Mile Zero monument should not have been put in the park, but when asked by a reporter for more details, she hung up.

In a letter to run organizers, Oldershaw said the run violates the Beacon Hill Park trust.

She also said the run will be a nuisance to neighbours and may attract a large protest by homeless people. It may also be used by candidates for city council "to score electoral points," she said in the letter.

There was also a threat of legal action, with the group hinting "the possibility that the run will be the object of a legal injunction."
The organization brought its concerns to Victoria council in June, said city spokeswoman Katie Josephson. Despite the concerns, council approved the run being held at Mile Zero.

Local run organizers Graham and Doug Lamb say the event won't take place on park property. "We're respecting what [the group is] saying," said Doug Lamb.
"No donations will be accepted on park property. People can do it on the street. That's where our tents will be set up."

Registration begins at 8 a.m. and the event starts at 9 a.m. Participants raise money for the Terry Fox Foundation, which accepts donations at www.terryfoxrun.org.

Annual Terry Fox Runs have raised than $400 million worldwide for cancer research. There is no entry fee and no prizes are awarded.

smcculloch@tc.canwest.com

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008
============

With "Friends" like these, who needs enemies? Welcome to "No Fun" city, and don't step on the grass.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#82 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

O... M... F... G...!

If today were April 1, I'd think you made that article up.

More like this, please.

If the "Friends" keep it up along these lines, they'll succeed in exposing themselves for the jerks they are, and maybe we'll finally get our public park back.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#83 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:05 AM

Who exactly are these people and how are they officially related to the park? Are they just a load of angry old people or do they actually have some official power in regard to the park? If so are they open to any member? Maybe enough of us should join so the organization isn't such a laughing stock (if it actually has any control over the park). otherwise, ignore the old coots.

#84 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:26 AM

Unbelievable. Get a life "Friends".

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:41 AM

This pi**ed me off so much this morning that I had to post a reply to the T-C online. These "friends" are undoubtedly part of the same James Bay crew that have virtually killed the Crystal Court deal (certainly the undoing of a free downtown art gallery space can be laid at their feet), and will very likely kill the Admirals Motel redevelopment proposal. Correct me if I am wrong but does Victoria have a larger per capita share of NIMBY's than the rest of Canada?

#86 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

I can say with absolute certanty that of all 7 Canadian cities I've lived (and built) in, Victoria is, by far, the most difficult city to get things past both council and neighborhood organizations.

And groups like the ones listed above don't fight to have things blocked, they fight for the rights to be able to hold events like this.

Victoria is a bit of a joke that way...

#87 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

This pi**ed me off so much this morning that I had to post a reply to the T-C online. These "friends" are undoubtedly part of the same James Bay crew that have virtually killed the Crystal Court deal (certainly the undoing of a free downtown art gallery space can be laid at their feet), and will very likely kill the Admirals Motel redevelopment proposal. Correct me if I am wrong but does Victoria have a larger per capita share of NIMBY's than the rest of Canada?

---------- NIMBY'S ...???????? --------

what about showing some BACK-BONE ...?

just because we don't lay on our backs,
and expose our belly's

every time you bark ,,,

doesn't mean we're NIMBY ......!!!!!!!!

It means we got back-bone & hackles ...

woof woof ....!

Ps, you seem to be urinating on your self ...!

-------- Bottom line ---------

make some decent offers

pat's on the head ,,,

and a 59-cent dog-biscuit doesn't cut it

--- please don't cry in your business suit

your intelligence is showing ...

" NOT " ...!!!!!!!!!

---- simply use your brain
and make better deals ...

we're like your coach ,

pushing you on to a higher level
of achievement...

;{-

don't you want to win the "Gold"...?

because "tinsel" sucks ...!

so buck up buddy ,
and return to the drawing board ...!!!!!!

#88 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

I heard this on the radio this morning and undoubtedly irked me to no end as well. If it was some commercial enterprise, I could perhaps entertain their arguments, BUT this is a bloody charity run in memory of an iconic Canadian, Terry Fox, who's gallant attempt to raise money for cancer has brought together so many people across the country to continue his cause, and as the article has said raised over 400 million over the years, how can these self-righteous self-entitled narrow minded individuals even attempt to make a protest to this and expect anyone to take their group seriously in the future! I also think the comparison to the largest number of NIMBY's would be pretty damn close to the mark, especially in that neighbourhood, the one with the tallest tower in Victoria (kinda ironic eh?) I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people in this group live in the various towers in James Bay, they just don't want their "views" impeded...ugh, its people like this that make people laugh at Victoria

#89 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

Little early to be hittin the sauce isn't it 3 dots?

#90 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

^Don't cry in your business suit, Zim.

#91 groundlevel

groundlevel
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

Interesting comments about old people appearing on this thread. Are we supposed to disrespect all people -- sorry, 'old coots', who haven't yet had the grace to die? So old school and 20th Century to diss girls and blacks and faggots -- three cheers now we can mock the old!

I think this is a trend. I was sitting in an earnest discussion group of "progressive visionaries" quizzing mayoral candidate DF two weeks ago when a young (is 34 young?)
businesswoman complained the municipal candidates were "old". I was stunned. Noone missed a beat, including the . . . um . . . age challenged. Apparently, whining that someone gets around in a wheelchair is off limits but describing wrinklies as obviously - what? - third rate, unimportant and handicapped by virtue of their living long is A OK.
Has anyone else noticed this?

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

^ good point groundlevel I agree. The NIMBY's and crazies ala the Friends of Beacon Hill and JBNA are of all ages and we should fight them equally.

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:23 AM

I have absolutely no idea what you were attempting to say Ted.

#94 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

We should start a new, progressive Beacon Hill body. One that is respectful of protecting the park's assets, but also embraces the fact that the park belongs to its citizens.

We shall be called: "The Beacon Hill Buddies".

First call to order: a little, self-serve cafe somewhere near the playground. There's that shack just east of the playground that's not being used. It would be perfect just for that purpose.

#95 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

Park Comrades
And sorry about the old person comment, it's not fair the stereotype of the old person who finds everything too loud or busy. My favorite councilor was often labeled as an "old lady" rather disparagingly and she was probably the most progressive and modern of the lot of them.

And ted, you have a very unique was of typing. To be better understood by those reading you may want to consider a more traditional form of writing and layout.

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

We should start a new, progressive Beacon Hill body...called: "The Beacon Hill Buddies" (edit: as opposed to the Beacon Hill Biddies).

How do I join?

#97 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

The City needs to change the use rules for the park to allow it to be used for the city as a whole for major events. In the past this park was the community focal point, but over the last 20 years the park has been usurped from the city as a whole for a small select neighbourhood.

The whole region needs one major park to serve us all. Vancouver has Stanley Park, Burnaby has Central Park, Kamloops has Riverside park, Toronto has Toronto Island, and we have nothing.

Either it is Beacon Hill, or we sell off 1/2 of the park and put a new one somewhere else in the city. You could buy land around Royal Athletic Park and make something there.

Most neighbourhoods in the City of Victoria are under parked because we have so many of our park acres in one basket. My own neighbourhood has almost no park land.

#98 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

How do I join?

Geez, I dunno. Isn't it enough that I thought of the name?;)

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

The "Friends of Beacon Hill Park" often come across as boneheaded in the media, but their basic concerns about commercialization of the park and restricting inappropriate uses are, I think, valid.

But when I read about the various controversies as documented here:
http://www.islandnet...beaconhillpark/

...I can't help but conclude that some people are confusing the park, Beacon Hill Park, with a nature reserve. Methinks this is precisely why such people regard an enormously wide range of events, pastimes, and activities in the park in such a negative light.

Suffice it to say, they seem to believe that a park is something that people should merely observe or admire (like a nature reserve or sanctuary), rather than something that people should actively experience and otherwise take advantage of in more tangible but indirect ways (like a park).

Want to stage a run in the park? That's bad because the runners won't be quietly respecting the roses or the Garry Oaks; they'll be running past them on their way to the finish line. In other words, even though the run will be in Beacon Hill Park, it won't be about Beacon Hill Park.

From this perspective, just about any activity or even any physical thing that someone might propose for the park would be undesirable. Petting zoo, lawn bowling, tennis courts, putting green, giant watering can, lantern festival, musical performances...they're all bad because they're not about the park.

To sum it up, I think the Friends of Beacon Hill Park regard the park as some sort of natural refuge, and one that should be revered in hushed tones -- if not in silence -- as people stroll through it without leaving so much as a footprint in their wake.

And that's the reason there are so many controversies. Because Beacon Hill Park isn't a refuge. It's a park. And parks are meant to be used.

#100 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

I grew up in that park! That is where all the imaginary friends from my childhood are - where I fell and fought and climbed and ran and hid in the grass like a tiger. I agree - to treat a downtown park as a place that no one can enjoy, where flowers are more important than children, and grass is more important than community makes no sense at all. Maybe we should all join the friends - assuming membership is open to us peons.

By the way Ted - many of the people you are talking to are more comfortable in hippy skirts, overalls, or leather jackets than they would be in business suits. Try not to assume.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users