Photo

Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#61 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

new info coming up on C-FAX

#62 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

No. Nothing new. Marcia Koenders says some offers to take the compost. That's all.

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

She's on the air now. Her PR skills a re a bit rough, I'm sure this could have been worked out behind the scenes. Meanwhile, looks like Ellis recycling has stepped in to fix it for her, free of charge. They will provide a bin with free pickup for her waste as well as the lawn bowling clubs.

#64 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

A kid who can't find things to do in Victoria will fail miserably in ANY other city in Canada.

(Not to suggest that it isn't supremely stupid to shut down the petting zoo.)

Well as a parent, I can list a hundred things Vancouver has that Victoria doesn't and should have, for both parents and kids.
We have a great parenting community that create things for kids to do, but as far as the way this city has been designed so far, we are failing.

#65 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Crisis averted.

#66 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

Excellent.

#67 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

This is truly a major public relations screw up by the City...I understand the Mayor's Office has been inundated with emails and phone calls. Keep the pressure up!! Everyone should email, phone and write the Council and the Mayor (idiot though he is) and if this is not fixed quickly, and with an apology, we should do as previously suggested and place strategic mounds of goat manure at the front doors of those responsible.

#68 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

I like Baro's suggestions. Somehow, "I have a goat and I'm not afraid to use it" conjures a movie scene, but I can't quite place it.

No fun city it is. It seems that eviction is the word of the month at city, but let's just remember that "election" is going to be the word of the month come November...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#69 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Elise Recycling is donating a bin to the farm. They'll replace it when it's full. Take the waste to their yard and garden waste bin; which is mulched, and provided to the local horticultural community for free. The offer goes to the lawn bowling club as well.

No thanks to the city.
Thumbs up to Elise.
A big thumbs down to the people responsible for this joke. Up yours.

#70 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Well done for those who offered to help.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them kick up a fuss at Ellis Recycle's skips.

#71 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

Yes the friends will complain because it is advertising in the park. Good on them. The city will have to allow it or they will truly be seen as kid haters. :D

#72 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

Well done for those who offered to help.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them kick up a fuss at Ellis Recycle's skips.

correction. Ellice Recycle. A Ralmax company. Thanks Ian Maxwell.

#73 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

It's all better now. A private disposal company is going to look after it at no cost.

It was a liability issue with the zoo people entering the works yard not being employees.

Ya think they might have put a bin out for them or had all the zoo employees sign waivers.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#74 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

Recyclers come to rescue of petting zoo
Company offers to solve animal waste problem that threatened attraction
CAROLYN HEIMAN, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, April 19, 2008

#75 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hopefully the bin will be put in the compound or locked. Without that, I fear it will be quickly filled with dumped rubbish.

#76 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:07 AM

What an embarrassment for the city, if it wasn't for a private group coming to the rescue the zoo would be doomed. This is really pathetic. I'm happy the zoo is saved, but the city did NOTHING to fix the situation, the situation is fixed despite the city.

#77 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

I think the real embarrassment here is the passion and interest people have in solving this situation while stepping over or avoiding the homeless and mentally ill on the streets. Cute and cuddly trump the ugly and challenging every time.

#78 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

A little bit easier to load and unload a bin than solve poverty. They are two completely different sized problems. It is like saying you are either going to buy a new honda or restore a Model T Ford.

If one days complaining to the mayor's office would get something done I think it would have been done.

#79 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

Also, the blame against the city in this matter is so much more tangible than our homelessness problem. There are only indirect reasons why the city should be partly to blame for the homeless problem, whereas this little petting zoo thing - the blame goes directly to the city. Plus the outcry is really only a symptom of the public's overall and complete frustration with our local government as a whole.

#80 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Petting farm wins goat waste debate
City backs down on demand that attraction cart manure across town
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, June 07, 2008

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users