• 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

• Fable Cottage, Cordova Bay
  • Wooded Wonderland, Beaver Lake
  • Sealand of the Pacific, Oak Bay
  • JayCee Fair, Memorial Arena
  • Frontier Village, Langford
  • Fun City, Saanich
  • Land of the Little People, Belleville St.
  • Haunted Mansion, Belleville St.
  • Classic Car Museum, Douglas & Burdett
  • Cobra, Soviet submarine, Inner Harbour
  • BC Experience, Crystal Gardens
  • Fun Zone, View Royal
  • Royal London Wax Museum, Inner Harbour

If I may?

The Glass Castle

The Undersea Gardens

Rudy’s Pet Park

The Victoria Drive In

22-foot tall neon flame a top the Rockland Water Tower

The FREE Victoria Museum

The Original Tally Ho horse drawn rides - though they now bring it out at Christmas time, they used to be drawn by a team of 6 horses, then reduced to 4, but when it was reduced to 2 but the #'s of persons being pulled wasn't lowered, the Horses were being hurt.

#202 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,868 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

• Fable Cottage, Cordova Bay
  • Wooded Wonderland, Beaver Lake
  • Sealand of the Pacific, Oak Bay
  • JayCee Fair, Memorial Arena
  • Frontier Village, Langford
  • Fun City, Saanich
  • Land of the Little People, Belleville St.
  • Haunted Mansion, Belleville St.
  • Classic Car Museum, Douglas & Burdett
  • Cobra, Soviet submarine, Inner Harbour
  • BC Experience, Crystal Gardens
  • Fun Zone, View Royal
  • Royal London Wax Museum, Inner Harbour

If I may?

The Glass Castle

The Undersea Gardens

Rudy’s Pet Park

The Victoria Drive In

22-foot tall neon flame a top the Rockland Water Tower

The FREE Victoria Museum

The Original Tally Ho horse drawn rides - though they now bring it out at Christmas time, they used to be drawn by a team of 6 horses, then reduced to 4, but when it was reduced to 2 but the #'s of persons being pulled wasn't lowered, the Horses were being hurt.

An interesting convo that comes up from time to time on FB, usually by old-timer Victorians pining for the 'good old days'.

I am not at all intending at all to be dismissive here but as someone born, raised and educated here and who has lived here 47/56 years in Greater Victoria, I have a pretty good idea why at least some if not many of the "attractions" on this list are no longer with us.

You can quickly discern a pattern, and I suspect I am not alone re:

•Fable Cottage, Cordova Bay - Never visited it; never held any interest for me frankly...

•Wooded Wonderland, Beaver Lake - visited many times as a small child; this is the one attraction on the list I do have fond memories of....

•Sealand of the Pacific, Oak Bay - Visited once as a teen; never felt like I had to go back. In any event it compared very poorly to other similar aquatic facilities in the US & Hawaii. Did one last "tour" about a year before they shut down - it was really mickey mouse and run down by then and not remotely worth the price of admission. Good riddance especially to this one...

•JayCee Fair, Memorial Arena - Enjoyed it a few times as a teen, never attended as an adult. Don't miss it particularly.

•Frontier Village, Langford - Never visited it; I don't think I ever actually knew it existed

•Fun City, Saanich - Never visited it

•Land of the Little People, Belleville St. - Never visited it; no interest.

•Haunted Mansion, Belleville St. - Never visited it; no interest.

•Classic Car Museum, Douglas & Burdett - Never visited it.

•Cobra, Soviet submarine, Inner Harbour - Did the tour once, very interesting; no need however to re-visit after doing it the one time...

•BC Experience, Crystal Gardens - Never visited it, no interest.

•Fun Zone, View Royal - Never visited it, never heard of it...

•Royal London Wax Museum, Inner Harbour - Did the tour once, never bothered again. Like all imitations it compared very poorly with the original. Once you've seen the "real London" wax museum - in, you know, London - this was clearly the hick cousin version...

#203 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,709 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

I liked the JayCee Fair. In particular I remember going to an amazing carnie party in the early 1990s.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#204 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

Fable Cottage is on Work-Away.

https://www.workaway...8142795-en.html

Had the opportunity to have my first work away in Denman Island with Wes. During my time that I spent there , I was amazed with the variety of projects that he has on the go. From local organic small farming, to fixing water pumps around the property, his property has plenty of opportunities for those that are willing to learn new concepts and assist him on these projects. Wes was a great host with an open mind that is always looking to find practical ways to solving issues that arise from living in a semi off grid property. I would definitely recommend any one who is looking for a great learning experience.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 December 2017 - 03:21 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users