Rifflandia Music Festival

• Please log in to reply
478 replies to this topic

#401 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:56 AM

Will the moaning go on longer than the concert did? 

Looks like it.

• Coast Modern likes this

#402 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 01:55 PM

Methinks its more to do with Redd's music taste than anything else...

Absolutely not.

#403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 06:59 AM

Cap Daily (newsletter):

Victoria’s Rifflandia music festival quietly preparing for September return

When Rifflandia wrapped up its four-day festival last September, it was with a triumphant tone of return. 

“After almost four years, that felt incredible,” said one post on Rifflandia’s social media account. “Let’s do it all again September 14-17, 2023!”

After being put on hiatus in 2019 at a time when unfavourable currency exchange rates made booking acts from the US difficult, the festival was further set back another couple of years due to the pandemic. 

Rifflandia first began in 2008 as a music festival focused on the local indie music scene. It has grown to attract some of the biggest names in music, like those seen in last year’s lineup: Lorde and Charlie XCX. 

A one-time $250,000 boost from a 2022 provincial recovery fund for the arts allowed Rifflandia founder Nick Blasko to hire back a core team and plan for the festival. 

This year, there’s no equivalent funding initiative from the BC Arts Council. Soaring costs and uncertain ticket sales are causing some music festivals in BC to hesitate about running this year, according to CTV News

Instead, Rifflandia successfully applied for $125,000 through a tourism events grant from BC’s Ministry of Tourism, Arts, Culture and Sport last November. 

The festival is currently hiring for a marketing director that will “play a key role in implementing and executing the strategic and creative vision of the festival,” according to a job post description.

On social media, the music festival is already beginning to recruit BC-based artists to potentially feature onstage this September.

By Michael John Lo

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 February 2023 - 07:00 AM.

• sebberry and pennymurphy2000 like this

#404 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 May 2023 - 02:41 PM

Two weekends this year. Headlining Paris Hilton? lol...

https://www.victoria...ers-this-year/ 

#405 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 03:07 PM

Suicidal and Iggy Pop on the same bill? Wow.

#406 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 03:32 PM

Paris Hilton is a decent DJ.

#407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 03:33 PM

Also DJing requires little talent. The software does it all.
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

#408 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 04:30 PM

Iggy Pop? IGGY POP?? He must be like 80 years old - do millennials even know who he is, lol? Talent-wise Herbie Hancock hands down is the creme of that lineup and it isn't close and he might be even older than "old" Iggy, lol.

At least Herbie sits at a keyboard or a piano. Iggy prances and prowls and gyrates around like a rooster on acid: are they push him around the stage in a wheelchair? And I'm not sure anyone wants to see a gentleman of his years up there with no shirt on. At least Anthony Kiedis works out and is in shape, not to mention 30+ years younger  :)

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 May 2023 - 04:30 PM.

#409 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 04:34 PM

No need to fret, it’ll all sell out.

People sure are complaining about the two weekends tho, and I guess it overlaps ribfest and beer fest? I’ll be at workfest more than likely so no matter, but I would *love* to see ST live.

#410 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 05:01 PM

People sure are complaining about the two weekends tho, and I guess it overlaps ribfest and beer fest? I’ll be at workfest more than likely so no matter, but I would *love* to see ST live.

Ooooo......riiiiiiiiibfest. I know where I will be that day! Forgot about that one. Sorry Iggy. I would actually have loved to see HH again however. Guy is a living musical legend.

And I must admit Salt N Pepa was one of those guilty pleasure bands from the 80's - "Push It" was a catchy freaky tune describing in no uncertain terms the act of - well, you know - and besides I was chasing a woman at the time who liked them and, well....all guys know how that turns out.

SnP does nevertheless put on a great show, or at least they did back then. One of the best reviews of any song I ever read pertained to Push It "....Salt-n-Pepa produce enough energy to put life back into a stuffed chimpanzee...."

#411 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:25 AM

I worry about Iggy exerting himself... heart took/takes a lot of self-administered abuse.

But the music bookmarks so many memories!

#412 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 12:00 PM

Iggy Pop is 76! Staying alive by doing what he loves. I’ll have to see if he plays the same day as ST. I’m not going for days on end!
  • Matt R. likes this

#413 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 02:31 PM

I assume they will be selling tickets by the day / weekend / event so people should be able to pick and choose what they want to see. Hopefully each day will have a theme as opposed to mixing Paris and Herbie on the same day.

#414 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 10:28 PM

Iggy Pop is 76! Staying alive by doing what he loves. I’ll have to see if he plays the same day as ST. I’m not going for days on end!

I am going to do my best to see ST. Sets at festivals are usually too short..

#415 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 12:55 PM

Tickets on sale now, prices $225 to $710 each. That is a big jump from $44 to $299 in 2018.

https://rifflandia.com/tickets

Edited by spanky123, 18 May 2023 - 12:56 PM.

#416 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 01:19 PM

Ouch
  • Matt R. likes this

#417 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 01:58 PM

Tickets on sale now, prices $225 to $710 each. That is a big jump from $44 to $299 in 2018.

The $44 included Single Day Passes which have yet to go on sale for this year.

For context, Single Night EA Passes were approx $90 last year.

Edited by kayla, 18 May 2023 - 02:01 PM.

#418 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:56 PM

We'll be in Alaska cruising on HA - for that price the two of us could almost stay an extra week.......

• Nparker likes this

#419 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 11:12 PM

The $44 included Single Day Passes which have yet to go on sale for this year.

For context, Single Night EA Passes were approx $90 last year.

Oh thanks for this. I’d make the trip to see ST but that’s probably it.

#420 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 05:15 AM

Will there even be single day passes sold if the event sells out with packages before the day passes are intended to go on sale?

Edited by Blair M., 19 May 2023 - 05:16 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users