• Please log in to reply
478 replies to this topic

#441 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:50 AM

The sounds of Rifflandia @ RAP are starting to drift my way now. Hopefully it will quiet down by bedtime. 

fingers-crossed-emoji.png

I thought I was the grumpy one.  It was quiet by 10.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#442 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 10:14 AM

Fortunately, the Rifflandia din was long over by 11:00 each night.

*I understand "Rifflandia Din" was not offered a spot at this year's festival.

#443 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 02:09 PM

I didn't even know about the drone show...

• Nparker likes this

#444 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:12 PM

The upcoming edition of the Rifflandia festival will be held entirely on the Matullia Lands in Rock Bay, where a portion of the multi-day music festival was held in 2023.

The festival ran over two weekends on two separate sites for the first time ever last year, with programming split between the Matullia Lands at the corner of Pembroke and Government streets and Royal Athletic Park.

The music and culture mainstay — which is set for Sept. 13-15, 2024 — announced today it will return to the framework of its early editions with a single weekend of events, to be held exclusively on the site where its Electric Avenue night programming drew a record 8,000 fans on opening night in 2023.

https://www.timescol...in-2024-8335670

And thus the first ever use of the words "Matullia Lands".   Multi-year agreement, I guess nothing is happening with this land for a while.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2024 - 11:17 PM.

#445 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:31 PM

...Matullia Holdings LP, [was] formed in 2011 by the Esquimalt and Songhees nations to repurchase Indigenous land in Rock Bay...“I’m so pleased that transferring these lands to the Songhees and Esquimalt nations will provide their community members with the opportunity to once again practise culturally-important activities,”...

https://www.vancouve...c-hydro-7232376

I was not aware of the role alternative pop music plays in culturally important First Nations activities.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#446 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 02:33 PM

I think that this is a smart move for Nick. From what I have heard over the years, a bone of contention with any group leasing RAP is that the CoV keeps all of the concession revenue which can be quite significant. 

I would think that in with this new site they can operate later and with less regulation and dictate their own terms with service providers.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#447 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:24 PM

I was not aware of the role alternative pop music plays in culturally important First Nations activities.

Are you suggesting that that churches and other place for spiritual services should only be used for that one function? No child care or senior citizen programs. No leasing out space for community events?

#448 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:40 PM

I think that this is a smart move for Nick. From what I have heard over the years, a bone of contention with any group leasing RAP is that the CoV keeps all of the concession revenue which can be quite significant. 

I would think that in with this new site they can operate later and with less regulation and dictate their own terms with service providers.

Concession revenue?  The RAP concession stand wasn't open during Riff, all the attendees were served by food trucks.

I have to say, I hope to see a quick return to RAP.  The venue is an important component of the festival 'feel' and there's a big difference in the experience between RAP and the Matullia property.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#449 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:47 PM

Concrete jungle ain’t it. Sounds painful.

#450 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:36 PM

Concession revenue? The RAP concession stand wasn't open during Riff, all the attendees were served by food trucks.

I have to say, I hope to see a quick return to RAP. The venue is an important component of the festival 'feel' and there's a big difference in the experience between RAP and the Matullia property.

Was Rifflandia getting money from the food trucks at RAP?

#451 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:17 PM

Dear lord, I would hope so!

#452 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,057 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 01:47 AM

RAP is getting the football game this Labour Day. And presumably a very nice turf. No point trampling that right away.

#453 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:30 AM

RAP is getting the football game this Labour Day. And presumably a very nice turf. No point trampling that right away.

The news release hasn't been very clear - there's a multi-year deal in place for the Matullia lands, but does that exclude RAP for future years?  It's a lot of setup and teardown at each venue so maybe they want to keep it to one.  I dunno, the park has a unique feel to it for a variety of reasons.  It'd almost have made more sense to move it to JDF if they wanted a single large venue.  

• Ismo07 likes this

#454 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 11:57 AM

The news release hasn't been very clear - there's a multi-year deal in place for the Matullia lands, but does that exclude RAP for future years?  It's a lot of setup and teardown at each venue so maybe they want to keep it to one.  I dunno, the park has a unique feel to it for a variety of reasons.  It'd almost have made more sense to move it to JDF if they wanted a single large venue.  

It sounds like they will be bringing in some sort of turf so people can sit on the streets I guess.  I like RIFF back in the day when they took over multiple smaller venues..  That was cool...

#455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,057 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:50 AM

Rifflandia Festival organizers announced a wave of pertinent information Thursday, including a series of key upcoming dates and new ticket bundle options for the September festival.

Several price points are available to patrons this year, in addition to the newly-minted Friend Pack and Family Pack options, which net the purchaser free passes when they buy multiples. The full breakdown of ticket tiers can be found at Rifflandia.com.

An exclusive subscriber pre-sale is set for March 28. Tickets go on sale to the general public March 29, with further ticket information, including incremental price increases, to be rolled out as the festival approaches its first wave line-up announcement on April 18.

At present, single day tickets are $125, three-day Super Passes are $259, and Kids Passes are $30.

https://www.timescol...estival-8493099

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2024 - 12:50 AM.

#456 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:42 PM

Great price.

#457 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:54 PM

Way better pricing
  • Matt R. likes this

#458 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 05:54 PM

That $259 price for the weekend superpass is a typo. It's actually $295.

#459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 07:13 PM

Oops.

How much higher was it last year?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#460 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 08:23 PM

Oops.

How much higher was it last year?

The GA Superpass was $355. But last year was 2 weekends. 3 days at Electric Avenue and 3 days at Royal Athletic Park. This year is just 3 days on the Electric Avenue grounds. 

Electric Avenue weekend pass was $225

Royal Athletic Park weekend pass was $325

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users