Photo

[Fairfield] Essencia Verde condo (formerly Castana) | 4- & 3-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

#41 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

to me the parking looks like it is residential and commercial(food country)

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

Actually there's seperate underground parking underneath the residential part of the development. The all the surface parking is either for retail and maybe vistors to the res.
Now that I think about it, I bet the reason it's divided like that is to distribute the outflow/inflow traffic evenly to Sutlej and Oliphant. Still it is a shame because it underutilizes the Sutlej alley, as its pedestrian friendliness is reduced significantly.

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

Wait a minute--what about the Cook St. wine trailer?

They've been sitting in the parking lot for a year now, patiently waiting for their expanded location in a retail strip.
Now, Food Country's staying??!! Has room even been set aside for them?

If the wine shop ever entertained the thought of expanding into selling high-end food, they can consider that idea sabotaged.

I talked to employees at both operations--they're both convinced THEY will
be moving into the renovated space.

What the hell is going on?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Don't forget that the Bohemia building has retail in it. They've probably claimed a spot there already. Plus, we don't know for sure if that extension over the surface parking at Oliphant and Cook is expanded Food Country or separate retail all together. They could have laid claim there.

#45 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

...Plus, we don't know for sure if that extension over the surface parking at Oliphant and Cook is expanded Food Country or separate retail all together. They could have laid claim there.

The last floorplan showing the Food Country clearly states (in really tiny type) "Existing Exterior Wall To Remain" so the "New Addition" to the south of the current building is separate from the food store. The floorplan shows several doors so it can be divided into smaller retail spaces as demand requires. I think it's resonable to think the wine store would be moving into one of these spaces.

#46 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

Meanwhile, across the street...

--------

Market marks 20 years as Cook Street mainstay

Don Descoteau/Victoria News
John Dejong sells flowers and produce from
his modest market in the Cook Street Village.

By Andrea Lavigne
Victoria News
Oct 13 2006

For the last two decades, John Dejong and his wife, June, have been driving from their home in Cedar Hill to 333 Cook St. seven days a week, 363 days a year.

The owners of Cook Street Marketplace celebrated 20 years in business this October. In those two decades, they've opened their doors come sun, rain and even snow.

"We survived that blizzard of '96," John recalled in a recent interview. "We couldn't even see the bank building there was so much snow... I opened up but only a few people could get down. They made a little trail across the front here with one of those snowplows and the snow was piled up five feet high on each side. People still got out though, so that was kind of neat."

Tucked away among antique stores and coffee shops, the fruit market is a modest but colourful addition to Cook Street Village. It provides local, organic produce and plants, as well as free-range eggs to the community.

The Dejongs have become a fixture in the area and throwbacks to a time when the local grocer knew everyone's name.

"We just lost another one of our regulars yesterday," John said. "The old feller was 96. He'd come down everyday. He was quite a character... So people like that you kind of miss them when they go. But then new ones come in. You see a lot of people come and go."

John worked as produce manager for Shop Easy (where Food Country is today) until it closed in the mid-1980s. In '86 he set up shop across the street, bringing a lot of his former customers with him.

Over the years, the Dejongs have witnessed royalty drive-bys, nude bicyclists and increasing market competition in the area.

John, now 65, doesn't plan on retiring soon, but can foresee getting pushed out of the area.

"At least we survived the 20 years. Maybe another 10 years down the road there will be even more shops. God only knows. They're going to overbuild, I can see that. There's going to be way too much of everything. Every time there's a new store they take people away from other people."

But they'll get by, he said.

"We just hope to keep going and carry on."

mailto:alavigne@vicnews.com
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

So I guess that would be termed a feel bad story?

I fail to see how bringing more customers to a neighbourhood would make business go down.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#48 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

He's a really nice man, but try and quickly grap a couple items and get out of there. It's impossible. He'll talk your ear off about anything.
His prices are the best though. Most of his stuff is local and organic and yet he seems to charge as if they were "regular" produce.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

G-Man--he reminds me of the comment about a restaurant often attributed to Yogi Berra: "It's so crowded nobody goes there anymore".

#50 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

I've never shopped at John's, but I have heard him sing. Karen next door at Kay's Korner (how kute is that?) played me a recording he did in the 70s. He was a rock 'n rollin' blues dude, man. Had his own band and everything. His picture on the cover was quite recognizable, if a younger he. His wife was in the band, too, I think. Tried googling it/him, but couldn't find anything, and sorry, can't remember the name of the band, either. "Big John" or something like that was his (predictable?) moniker...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

The Dejongs have become a fixture in the area and throwbacks to a time when the local grocer knew everyone's name.

Yep, twenty years ago the local grocers in Cook Street village knew everyone's name. But the population of Fairfield has swelled so much since then, such a feat would be impossible today.

I mean, we're waxing nostalgic about...1986. Methinks this deserves an "Oh, brother!" award.

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

Back in 1986 there were only four or five "Mario" video games. Now there are all kinds of them. The world is more complicated.

By 1986, George Lucas had re-released Star Wars just four times.

"Every time there's a new store they take people away from other people."

This is the same argument people make whenever a new Starbucks opens. But the end result tends to be an improvement in business across the board, even in the existing coffee shops.

#53 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

Castana should have been 5 stories with larger condos and ground level town homes large enough to house some families with smaller units that owners could eventually rent to students or single people could purchase etc.

This project has been cut chopped so ridiculously. Units are ridiculously small, and at that the unit numers are low too.

A JOKE.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

Let's remember the unit size decrease is the work of the Fairfield Community Association.

The developer wanted to build a structure that was already in the neighbourhood: a four storey building. Nevermind what was already there, said the community assoc, as "this" project would single-handedly destroy the neighbourhood. So here we are today, with tiny units at exhorbitant prices -- with the community association now peeved that families can't afford them nor can they fit into them. Brilliant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:25 PM

Just cruising through this thread on my first day in the forums. The Village Wine shop will be moving into the Castana (or "Mañana" as I now call it) retail building and expand to include a deli. Cob's Bakery had also leased space in the same building ... at least this was the plan earlier this year ... this may have changed with all the delays.

The renovated Food Country building was supposed to be subdivided into 5 or 6 separate retailers (ie. Food Country would be gone). Maybe this is no longer the case although I suspect it's more an issue of buying out their lease.

Also, a residential/retail proposal for the Food Country building was presented to the FCA earlier this year but it got shot down pretty quick. The renovated building is a fallback position (ie. it didn't require rezoning).

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

A residential/retail proposal surfaced for Food Country? Why on earth would the FCA shoot it down?

Residential units along that strip are exactly the sort of development that will benefit Cook Street Village and its merchants.

Welcome, btw.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

Interesting. So when you say the Castana retail section, you're referring to the one at Cook and Sutlej?
[url=http://imageshack.us:3d097][/url:3d097]
It looks like Food Country is staying Number Six, so I wonder if Cobs and the deli portion of the Wine Shop still will happen. Could another deli and bakery succeed as well as an updated Food Country and other food amenities in the area?
Welcome to the forum!
And tell us everything you know about Castana!

#58 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

Yep ... the Castana retail section is the part of the building at the corner of Cook & Sutlej. The Wine shop and Cobs bakery were going to go in before redevelopment of the Food Country was ever discussed so I assume they'd still be interested. Whether there is enough business for everyone I'm not sure, although I'd be happy to see a Cobs in the village.

I don't know why the FCA panned the proposal but I must admit I wasn't surprised. Of course there is / was a lot of agro between the FCA and the developer. I went to a public meeting in the spring of 2005 and it was truly *ugly*!

I purchased in Castana so I've been tracking it for almost 2 years now. It has been frustrating to say the least. I was pretty damn happy to find a forum with a thread about the project ... it's cheaper than therapy!

Thanks for the welcome ... lots of interesting threads to read.

Cheers

#59 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

I feel for you!!!

Wow I couldn't imagine how you would feel being a purchaser!!!

This project has gone through way too much b.s.

Anyways....Good luck! I hope it all works out for you. I also won't charge you therapy fees either.... :lol:

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

Mañana-- :lol: Good one!

Wow, that's tough. I've witnessed some of the animosity between Amadon and some of the FCA and I have to say, it seemed as if there was so much bitterness and hatred between them they'd rather the project failed than risk giving in to the other side. Like [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction:1b995]Mutually Assured Destruction[/url:1b995] or something.

That is unfair to the Wine Shop and whatever other stores signed on long ago. They were assured they wouldn't have to compete with an upgraded supermarket.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users