Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#2821 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:30 AM

"...nowhere did the reporter mention the well-known merits of covenants in conserving natural assets like green spaces and trees, despite the clear mention of this to her in our interview and in the authoritative report from the B.C. Law Institute we supplied her on this subject. It was bizarre to exclude this well-founded perspective given that so many folks supporting the legal defence of the covenant cite the loss of big trees as a main concern."

I find this so interesting that they are doubling down on the tree preservation angle while at the same time are trying to enforce a private covenant that would allow four single family homes to be built which could cut down more trees than the townhouse project. The private covenant has nothing to do with trees, it has to do with preserving the area for expensive homes.

Rich people problems

#2822 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

Washington 8, a new development of 8 single family houses on Washington Ave, is going to council on Thursday April 22.  City Staff are recommending in favour of this project being approved. 

More information:  https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00735

#2823 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:25 PM

i could not find a corazon thread.  does it pre-date this forum?

$774,500

102 732 Cormorant St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

Rare Live/Work 2 level townhome right in heart of downtown Victoria, steps to City Hall & all Victoria has to offer. Very secure concrete & steel building in excellent condition with multi use: Live / work, commercial, investment & residential use. Spacious living area, street level terrace, high 10ft ceilings on main & 9ft ceilings on upper floor, with large windows bringing in lots of light from South facing exposure. Granite counters throughout, new laminate & luxury vinyl flooring with slate flooring in kitchen, bathrooms & entrance. Ground level has top of line tract lights & ceiling fans with professional decor package & gallery art hanging tract. 2 bed rooms up including Primary with deck. Secure preferential parking, 2 bike racks, 3x5x9ft storage locker & large mailbox conveniently located steps away on same level. No pet or age restrictions, short & long term rentals allowed.

873235_5.jpg

this says 2005:

https://bccondos.net/732-cormorant-st

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 April 2021 - 06:30 PM.

#2824 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:40 PM

That car rental thing on Burdett is nearing completion. Pic from this afternoon:

Attached Images

• 9B7321EE-A5E4-4F7E-B0D1-6507CC8A2E30.jpeg

• Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

#2825 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:53 AM

Washington 8, a new development of 8 single family houses on Washington Ave, is going to council on Thursday April 22. City Staff are recommending in favour of this project being approved.

More information: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00735

Man, if you were to ditch the drive aisle/parking, this could be a killer courtyard housing form as a model for every corner of the city. A balance could be clustered with limited, shared central parking. Super livable way to add density to very very sensitive areas.

#2826 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:54 AM

Washington 8 doesn’t sound like a very clever or innovative name.

#2827 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:57 AM

Washington 8 doesn’t sound like a very clever or innovative name.

It's better than Chicago 7.

#2828 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:01 AM

true. but not as good as S Club 7.
  • Rob Randall, Nparker and Matt R. like this

#2829 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:03 AM

Definitely should have called it 7 Up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2830 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:14 AM

I think Eight is Enough.

Matt.

#2831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:17 AM

What about After Eight?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2832 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:19 AM

Definitely should have called it 7 Up.

I'm sorry sir, but we only have Sprite.  Is that OK?

What about After Eight?

Some concerned resident will surely write to council expressing sincere worry that this name allows for further expansion of the development. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2833 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:57 AM

Here's a look at the cool new 4-storey rental building Aryze is planning for the Catherine/Langford corner in Vic West (31 units);

This Aryze proposal for 31 rental units (plus 2 commercial spaces) has now been submitted to the city in the form of an application for rezoning & DP.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 19 May 2021 - 11:57 AM.

#2834 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:19 AM

From South Jubilee Neighbourhood Association:

LUC received a letter from a developer stating that they have identified the 1600 and 1700 blocks of the west side of Foul Bay Ave as potential sites for an apartment complex. No details or plans were supplied but it appears they are looking at a larger complex with underground parking, interior hallways etc. We will keep you informed.

Does anyone know which developer acquired the land for this upcoming development proposal...?

#2835 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:33 AM

...it appears they are looking at a larger complex with underground parking, interior hallways etc.

Interior hallways. What a luxury project this is going to be.  ;)

• Mike K., zoomer and lanforod like this

#2836 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:26 AM

Interior hallways. What a luxury project this is going to be.  ;)

Even the high-end Shutters Spa & Residences (in Vic West) lacks this amenity...

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#2837 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:27 AM

Even the high-end Shutters Spa & Residences (in Vic West) lacks this amenity...

I mean, who is going to be the one to make noise in the hallway while turning around to complain about noise in the building? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2838 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 01:45 PM

From South Jubilee Neighbourhood Association:

LUC received a letter from a developer stating that they have identified the 1600 and 1700 blocks of the west side of Foul Bay Ave as potential sites for an apartment complex. No details or plans were supplied but it appears they are looking at a larger complex with underground parking, interior hallways etc. We will keep you informed.

Does anyone know which developer acquired the land for this upcoming development proposal...?

I live in the 1600 block of Amphion and I haven't heard anything. This sounds doubtful, both in terms of the single-lot (~120-130ft) depth of the fronting lots there and no evidence of a lot consolidation from the real estate activity. I would have heard about it if they were acquiring Amphion lots. There is the townhouse proposal behind OBB south towards the OB/FB intersection, not sure if that's getting mixed in with the rumours. There are some houses along there that could potentially be suitable for redevelopment but 'larger' complex? I think describing something as larger would imply more than a single lot depth development over 3-4 lots. I think the CoV is requiring 'transitional' parking requirement in urban villages which would, I think, necessitate UG parking. It's tough to make parking work in that tight of a space.

I think this is likely to be a mistake.

Edited by punk cannonballer, 01 June 2021 - 01:46 PM.

#2839 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:04 PM

I live in the 1600 block of Amphion and I haven't heard anything. This sounds doubtful, both in terms of the single-lot (~120-130ft) depth of the fronting lots there and no evidence of a lot consolidation from the real estate activity. I would have heard about it if they were acquiring Amphion lots. There is the townhouse proposal behind OBB south towards the OB/FB intersection, not sure if that's getting mixed in with the rumours. There are some houses along there that could potentially be suitable for redevelopment but 'larger' complex? I think describing something as larger would imply more than a single lot depth development over 3-4 lots. I think the CoV is requiring 'transitional' parking requirement in urban villages which would, I think, necessitate UG parking. It's tough to make parking work in that tight of a space.

Hi Punk- the info I posted came from the official newsletter here: https://www.southjub...ers/2021-06.pdf

#2840 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:12 PM

It's very doable. Abstract has a couple six storey proposals on Shelbourne where lot depth is only 100 ft.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users