Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3791 replies to this topic

#2861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:57 PM

Oops, I should have been more clear. They work out of offices in those respective cities, not that they choose to live there but have a formal job in Victoria.

Take the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. The ministry is formally in Victoria but it has a ton of offices (~24 office locations) throughout the province and depending on what you need from the ministry you could be dealing with someone outside of your immediate area. It's a bit of a misnomer that Victoria is the centre of provincial employment in BC.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2862 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:33 PM

Of course not all public service jobs are in the CRD, but a large chunk of them are.

Guesstimating from when Horgan announced new Langford offices, the province said 2,000 workers lived in the Westshore or 20% of the public servant population in the Victoria area. As the BC Government employs about 30,000 people, the city has around 33% of the province's public servants while making up just under 8% of the provincial population. 

And it's not just the BC public service. It's also UVic and CFB Esquimalt who are subsidized big-time employers other communities don't get to have. 

Nothing wrong with that in principle, obviously, but I brought it up in context of the city's anti-development streak. 

#2863 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:48 PM

10,000 jobs isn’t that much, is it, out of 5.5 million? I mean UVic has double that just in undergrads. I don’t think we can even build the pyramids with 10,000 people.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2864 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 15 June 2021 - 07:55 PM

That explains it - always wondered why we didn’t have a pyramid or two in Victoria.

Someone needs to think of a scheme to have giant one built at Ogden Point. Maybe a floating one..

#2865 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:17 PM

Been there; failed:

https://vibrantvicto...proved/?p=44823

#2866 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:26 PM

Good grief, a real pyramid scheme that I actually posted about. It appears my failing memory means I'm likely to fall victim to one of these.

#2867 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:58 PM

It'll be great when we all get dementia one day; every morning it'll be a brand new forum.

• zoomer likes this

#2868 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:30 PM

The application for 2440 and 2448 Richmond Rd, two 3-storey buildings with a total of 22 (11 per building) studio 'workforce housing' suites, will be considered by Victoria council on Thursday June 24. 

The most recent rendering: 

2440-2448.png  

• newbie_01 likes this

#2869 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

Wow, those snuck up. Thank you.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#2870 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:57 AM

I've heard rumblings in the 'hood that mid-block of the west side of Foul Bay Rd between OB Ave and Leighton have been approached with cash offers from a developer, as well as a house on Amphion for rear access. That would be a fight to get that I think. If I were the city looking at developing along corridors (not that FB is Cambie or anything) I'd nevertheless be taking a page from Vancouver and fronting on FB with higher and addressing the residential streets with townhouse. But I'd want to zone the whole block so there's no potential sterilization of lots. Interesting anyways. I've long thought that Foul Bay north of OB Ave was due for some redevelopment. The coming townhouses behind OB Bikes may have opened the door there.

#2871 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:59 AM

I've heard rumblings in the 'hood that mid-block of the west side of Foul Bay Rd between OB Ave and Leighton have been approached with cash offers from a developer, as well as a house on Amphion for rear access. That would be a fight to get that I think. If I were the city looking at developing along corridors (not that FB is Cambie or anything) I'd nevertheless be taking a page from Vancouver and fronting on FB with higher and addressing the residential streets with townhouse. But I'd want to zone the whole block so there's no potential sterilization of lots. Interesting anyways. I've long thought that Foul Bay north of OB Ave was due for some redevelopment. The coming townhouses behind OB Bikes may have opened the door there.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it appears that an apartment block is on its way to Foul Bay Road north of Oak Bay avenue... the developer has contacted the South Jubilee Neighbourhood Association about this.

#2872 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:07 AM

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it appears that an apartment block is on its way to Foul Bay Road north of Oak Bay avenue... the developer has contacted the South Jubilee Neighbourhood Association about this.

We do all know that the largest hurdle in the development process is giving the SJNA a heads up, yes.

#2873 intheknow

intheknow
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:00 PM

Anyone catch wind of this opinion piece in Capital Daily? Seems pretty spot on. 

https://www.capitald...ty-associations

#2874 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:36 PM

We've got a convo on that letter here  :wave:https://vibrantvicto...ciation-issues/

Know it all.

#2875 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

Reliance Properties wants to redevelop their rental property at 450 Dallas Road.  They would retain the 12 storey tower on the site but they would replace the 3-storey annex with a new 6 storey building (plus underground parking).  The new building would have 54 units (the existing 3-storey annex has just 16 units, so this would result in a net gain of 38 new units) as well as a rooftop amenity space for the residents of the property.

450dallas.png

450dallas2.png

• Nparker, grantpalin, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#2876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:31 PM

What an amazing place this would be to call home. That 12-storey tower is a real gem in our town, btw.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#2877 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:31 PM

Any reason why they're proposing only six floors? It's the kind of location I'd imagine they could get away with taller without much whining. 

• Mike K. likes this

#2878 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:34 PM

Any reason why they're proposing only six floors?...

6 floors is the limit of traditional wood frame construction.

• Mike K. and DavidSchell like this

#2879 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

1451-1457 Bay Street is a 20-unit rental apartment proposal with 19 parking stalls in a 3-storey building.  Here's a rendering:

1451-1457 bay.png

• newbie_01 likes this

#2880 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 03:04 PM

1451-1457 Bay Street is a 20-unit rental apartment proposal ...

This might be a bit of a tough sell with the mostly detached SFH neighbourhood, although the existing structure on the property appears to be a duplex.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users