Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3791 replies to this topic

#3221 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 06:17 AM

Westview is also selling a collection of townhomes, with quite amazing views.

Details: https://victoria.cit...stview-phase-3/

Then there is the Lookout condo on the north side of BM Blvd from Westview: https://victoria.cit...okout-langford/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3222 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 12:45 PM

Here's an updated rendition of the senior's housing planned for 50 Douglas Street by Amica.  The development is "Douglas House" and would expand the existing facility.

douglas house by amica.png

• Nparker likes this

#3223 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 12:16 PM

Starlight Investments is proposing a 90-unit, 6 storey apartment block to be built at 350/360 Douglas Streets.  The site is currently a surface parking lot for the 13-storey rental towers they own at the SE corner of the block; part of the surface parking would be removed and new parking would be placed underground.

Here are a few renderings:

douglasRentals2.png

douglasRentals.png

• Nparker likes this

#3224 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 01:02 PM

Vampire culture is alive and well.

#3225 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 01:11 PM

Ah Goodacre Towers - the last place I ever lived in as a rental; great location, It'll be interesting to see how this one flies as back in the day there was once a proposal at one time for I believe a ~ 16 floor building that went over like the proverbial lead balloon with the neighbors and never got out of the gate.

#3226 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 01:16 PM

Ah Goodacre Towers - the last place I ever lived in as a rental; great location, It'll be interesting to see how this one flies as back in the day there was once a proposal at one time for I believe a ~ 16 floor building that went over like the proverbial lead balloon with the neighbors and never got out of the gate.

Yeah, the tower proposal didn't go well, and then JBNA asked for townhouses but I doubt that these were economically feasible (recall that the land is worth a substantial amount of $; if they built much less density than allowed, Starlight would still be paying property taxes on the land value but wouldn't have as much rental revenue to offset the property taxes).  So this is the 3rd proposal I'm aware off.

I'm a bit wary of the JBNA, which also makes me wary of Marg Gardiner...

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#3227 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 01:19 PM

I too am concerned about Ms Gardner's potential effect on local development.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

#3228 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, the tower proposal didn't go well, and then JBNA asked for townhouses but I doubt that these were economically feasible (recall that the land is worth a substantial amount of $; if they built much less density than allowed, Starlight would still be paying property taxes on the land value but wouldn't have as much rental revenue to offset the property taxes).  So this is the 3rd proposal I'm aware off.

I'm a bit wary of the JBNA, which also makes me wary of Marg Gardiner...

Right: the townhouses were to be built where the covered parking stalls are at the rear of the parking lot, I remember now. Of course this was 20 years ago when little "quaint, special" Victoria still ruled :). From the exaggerated almost spasmodic response from the JBNA at the time you would have sworn 16 floors were in fact 116......

• Nparker likes this

#3229 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 02:13 PM

The presentation to the community can be found here:  https://tender.victo...815161947820790

#3230 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 02:35 PM

This proposal couldn't be more innocuous if it tried. 

350 Douglas proposal.jpg
The JBNA will probably massacre it. After all, it would be a tragedy for the community to lose this swath of heritage asphalt

350 Douglas.jpg

#3231 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 09:18 AM

The design is as bland and dull as they come, but it’s much better than an ashphalt wasteland.

#3232 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 07:15 AM

Those are terrible. They should be building something that stands out and is taller especially next to the park.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3233 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 07:16 AM

Also another commercial space for a restaurant by the park would be nice.

It has a whole new look!

#3234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 08:20 AM

It’s a mid-range rental complex in one of the most expensive places to build housing. It looks fine to me.

Look at those balconies, they’re huge. Those ground level townhouse-styled units look awesome.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3235 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 09:45 AM

Next to Beacon Hill Park should be high density and expensive IMO

• gstc84 likes this

It has a whole new look!

#3236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 09:56 AM

It is currently a liability to live next to Beacon Hill Park.

Let’s see what the election brings, then we can talk prices. :)
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#3237 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 10:46 AM

Over the long term it will be a massive perk. Plus I mean along a park is a perfect place for density as it has less neighbours to disturb. Plu the building that is already there is tall. They should be penalized for wasting density.

It has a whole new look!

#3238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 10:50 AM

It was a massive perk, certainly. Parks, going forward, are now areas for activism. So much of the angst we experienced over the last four-plus years revolved squarely around urban parks.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

#3239 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 02:28 PM

A blip in the history of cities.

It has a whole new look!

#3240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 02:44 PM

Dude, it ruined lives. People were assaulted and threatened, homes were broken into, properties were damaged, and the public lost a valuable green space to violent individuals who arrived from all over, all under the guise the park was a safe haven for homeless Victorians.

The events that took place there were a flash point in Victoria history. It is a big reason why five Victoria politicians, so far, are leaving politics.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users