gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

Today:

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

I think this one needed to be a bit glassier. So are they going to paint that railing or what?

#43 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

^I think the railing will stay as-is. It doesn't look too bad in person.
I like this one a lot. I wouldn't want to live here and I don't like it's suburban, non-street level interaction, but I really think this one's gorgeous.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

I appreciate the style they were going for and I give them points for it. If you ask me, this place and Shoal Point (and maybe also Aria -- we'll see) represent a very distinctive form of Victorian condominium architecture. They have weight to them, which makes for an interesting counterpoint to the glassy Vancouver-style stuff that has really characterized the recent wave of condominium construction around North America. And yet they're still attractive buildings, because they're detailed and also a bit eccentric. Some people look at these buildings and wonder why they're so solid; what's with all the bricks and the columns and stuff? When I hear those sorts of remarks, I really feel like something unique is happening. It wasn't a mistake that these buildings aren't 100% glass; it's the style they were going for, to differentiate them.

That said, I feel like this one missed the desired effect by a little bit. It's a bit too institutional looking, especially around back (the only part that I've actually seen in person up close). But there's definitely a lot to like about it.

#45 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

I know what you mean about it looking institutional. It reminds me of a west coast, modernized version of the schools and hospitals I grew up surrounded by in Ontario.
I guess that's partly why I have a fondness for it.

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

I suppose I could also throw Sussex Place in there as well. Maybe it's the building that started it all.

#47 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

I took a spin by this weekend, and I *really* like this building. It is a style that seems classic and solid, that will age very gracefully. It is too bad they didn't front it with some townhouses along the street... but that's a minor quibble. Victoria needs more buildings of this calibre and appeal to tempt a new and different type of market into a higher density lifestyle....not just those who can longer afford a house.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

Weren't there plans for townhouses along the street?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

I think aastra put his finger on it. There is something appropriately Victoria about this building, and I appreciate the distinction between this style and the more glassy look - which has its own beauty, but this does seem more signature. If I were to cluster this one with other new buildings, I'd look to Humbolt Valley. Rayne_K's observation that this will age well also struck a chord. I wish we could say that of every new development.

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

Crane is down on this one.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

Crap, you're right. I thought that thing would never come down.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 DDrake

DDrake
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

The stairwell at Swallows Landing was built specifically to not disturb the wildflowers in the garry oak meadow. That's why the height and the lack of contact with the land. The slope that hosts the stairwell was donated to the Habitat Acquisition Trust (HAT) by the developer.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

Here's an angle we don't see very often:

Picture by sobergeorge at Flickr.com
http://www.flickr.co...254696/sizes/l/

#54 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

Swallows Landing - check out the penthouse

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Video from a unit in Swallows Landing:
http://www.vimeo.com/2958927

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Wow

#57 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

Very nice, too bad you have to drive thru the doldrums of Victoria and Esquimalt to get there

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

Come on, man. It's the 21st century.

You can also walk or ride a bicycle.

#59 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Nicely staged.

Too bad it's already sold. ;)

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

What's the deal with this place? The landscaping hasn't even started and I still get the sense crews are touching up the interior.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users