2049 replies to this topic

#1561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:03 AM

It was your bag, wasn’t it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1562 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

Here's the one I saw whilst admiring the Welsh countryside, lol

https://www.google.c...56!9m2!1b1!2i26

#1563 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

It was your bag, wasn’t it?

Where did you see it last?

#1564 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

Most reusable bags are petroleum based if you really want to look and like you’re doing something you got to get hemp fibre.

#1565 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

Paper bags do take a lot of energy to produce. That's why the city has imposed a mandatory charge. Bring your own reusable bag!

I used to get my groceries bagged in plastic. Once home the bags would get put in a drawer and sit there until the drawer got full. Occasionally I would grab a bag for garbage or another use. But ultimately I ended up either tossing most of them or bringing them to be "recycled".

I'll take your (collective) word for it that paper takes more energy to produce than plastic, though I'm surprised by this.

As for plastic bags - every plastic bag we ever brought home soon saw a second life as a garbage bag; it was rare that they ever piled up at all.  Now - as we still need just as many garbage bags as before - we have to buy Glad bags instead.

• Nparker, todd, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#1566 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,961 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:22 AM

The Trudeau government will ban single-use plastics as early as 2021, CBC News has learned from a government source.

Plastic straws, cotton swabs, drink stirrers, plates, cutlery and balloon sticks are just some of the single-use plastics that will be banned in Canada, according to the source.

This is part of a larger strategy to tackle the plastic pollution problem that the government is expected to announce Monday.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-2021-1.5168386

#1567 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:32 AM

Every computer monitor we unpack at work for delivery to a customer has no less than 8 truly single-use plastic bags wrapping up all the bits in the box.  

The monitor is bagged, the stand and stand support are each bagged.  The quick setup manual is bagged.  The warranty card is bagged.  The power cord and display cables are bagged.  

Let's start with that before we go after people's straws and balloon sticks. 

• Midnightly likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1568 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

Every computer monitor we unpack at work for delivery to a customer has no less than 8 truly single-use plastic bags wrapping up all the bits in the box.  

The monitor is bagged, the stand and stand support are each bagged.  The quick setup manual is bagged.  The warranty card is bagged.  The power cord and display cables are bagged.  

Let's start with that before we go after people's straws and balloon sticks. 

But how does something that most of the general public doesnt see and that causes most of the waste translate into virtue signalling and votes? You have to figure out that component first

Edited by rjag, 10 June 2019 - 09:13 AM.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#1569 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:35 AM

But how does something that most of the general doesnt see and that causes most of the waste translate into virtue signalling and votes? You have to figure out that component first

I've ordered clothes online before where each article comes individually wrapped in plastic, so I completely believed the guy who phoned CFAX the other day claiming that every single piece of clothing that was unpacked for display at a local department store was also wrapped in plastic. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1570 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

100% - used to stock shelves at Zellers (RIP) - and everything right down to the individual pairs of panties came in their own plastic baggie. A mountain of waste the size of me was bagged and binned hourly. Between that and the cheap plastic hangers constantly snapping and needing replacement, price sales tags being swapped over, and signage that had to be replaced weekly - big box stores are the worst for single-use plastic waste.

• Nparker and rjag like this

~ Jasmine ~

#1571 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

100% - used to stock shelves at Zellers (RIP) - and everything right down to the individual pairs of panties came in their own plastic baggie. A mountain of waste the size of me was bagged and binned hourly. Between that and the cheap plastic hangers constantly snapping and needing replacement, price sales tags being swapped over, and signage that had to be replaced weekly - big box stores are the worst for single-use plastic waste.

i used to work in a clothing store, every clothing item arrived in a plastic bag individually wrapped many arrived on hangers in plastic and we would de-bag every item, remove the hangers and put every item on a store supplied hanger and all the bags and cheap hangers would be tossed during seasonal changeover it was many many bags full of wasteful plastic

#1572 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:59 PM

This is extremely funny...
https://youtu.be/Y7orwIHuabY
  • rjag likes this

#1573 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:09 PM

This is extremely funny...
https://youtu.be/Y7orwIHuabY

did i hear him correctly? paper water bottles?

#1574 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:31 PM

did i hear him correctly? paper water bottles?

To drink his water bottles from!
  • Nparker, Love the rock and Brantastic like this

#1575 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

The cutlery I buy for work comes individually bagged in a box. I get it, it’s so the cutlery doesn’t rub together and get scuffed before I get it, but what do they think happens once we start to use it?

Anyways, recently ordered a couple hundred pieces and each knife, fork and spoon had its own little plastic bag.

It goes on and on.

Matt.

#1576 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:40 PM

I received a plastic bag today when I was at Walmart. In the past I would have found a way to repurpose it, but since I am told these are single use products I stuffed into my larger single use trash bag when I got home.

#1577 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

@Matt Bio plastic packaging is what you want. For instance: https://goodnatured.ca/

#1578 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

The cutlery I buy for work comes individually bagged in a box. I get it, it’s so the cutlery doesn’t rub together and get scuffed before I get it, but what do they think happens once we start to use it?

Anyways, recently ordered a couple hundred pieces and each knife, fork and spoon had its own little plastic bag.

It goes on and on.

Matt.

I treated myself to a set of Henkles flatware at Christmas - each piece was wrapped in a plastic sleeve.  Talk about single-use!  It all went into my single-use grocery bag, re purposed as a garbage bag.

• Matt R. likes this

#1579 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

@Matt Bio plastic packaging is what you want. For instance: https://goodnatured.ca/

No man, the stainless steel stuff! Takeout stuff is (mostly) a no brainer. Just up the prices on your food.

Matt.

#1580 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

I don’t understand how the COV can’t say plastic bags are reusable when they issue reusable plastic bags for their recycling program. Oak Bay has had fliptop carts for paper recycling for about the last 20 years(also keeps pieces of paper from flying out the top). Grinds my gears.

6FC30420-7CAD-4F36-AA5F-23502153B324.jpeg

Edited by todd, 11 June 2019 - 11:42 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users