Fishing

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#261 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:52 PM

What is the correlation between open water fish pens and the ones for the terrestrial animals above? None that I can see.

Atlantic salmon are a different species of fish from our BC salmon. Biologists for years, culminating in the Cohen Commission report in 2012, have strongly advocated for the removal of fish pens - particularly those raising Atlantic salmon. Those operations should be nowhere near wild Pacific salmon.

Salmon are a keystone species in BC and are under enough pressure from myriad other human activities without adding this completely unnecessary variable which among other things presents a high risk of introducing pathogens and parasites which native salmon have no defence against.

Humans ***k up the industry enough as it is with misguided forestry practices which devastate fish breeding ecosystems, over-fishing, permitting the use of gill nets on major fisheries like the Fraser River etc., without also adding to the huge problem posed by these completely unnecessary and destructive operations.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 17 December 2020 - 09:00 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#262 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:55 AM

not really "fishing" but i did not want to start a new thread on scuba diving.

did you know scuba divers roll backwards out of the boat because if they rolled forward they would just go into the boat?

• Matt R. likes this

#263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:05 AM

And risk getting their equipment caught or dinged as they do. It’s also easier to just roll back with all of that weight on your back.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#264 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:08 AM

^ you might have missed the joke.

#265 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:43 PM

^^I thought I saw you.
  • Matt R. likes this

#266 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:28 PM

Cat got your tongue? no it’s got my fish: https://youtu.be/qOMdxP_qAnA

#267 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 04:13 PM

Apparently I was a good boy this year as my stocking was overflowing with new lures. And while I love the outdoor survival guide adhering to SAS guidelines might be overkill: I'm a skilled and experienced fisherman - but I can't recall offhand the last time we had to overcome and defeat enemy Special Forces commando's on any of our camping-fishing trips.

Just as long as the MEALS section in the guide doesn't insist on cold dead raw rat meat like the real SAS does, I should be fine.....

Attached Images

• New Lures.jpg
  • SAS Guide.jpg

• todd and Mattjvd like this

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

That’s a great book!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#269 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:36 PM

It is - its an itty bitty pocket size too so it fits nicely into my waders or tackle boxes (phhhht....what am I thinking: who uses tackle boxes these days??).

But the booklet itself is awesome - no mention of raw rat meat but it does describe how to trap, prepare and eat among other things monkeys, termites, crocodiles, wasps, hornets and virtually every bird species - clearly these guys aren't fishing and hanging out with our group.....!

#270 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:10 PM

Does it have a section on how to cook a nice juicy rib-eye, that's as far afield as I'm going.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#271 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:13 PM

Does it have a section on how to cook a nice juicy rib-eye, that's as far afield as I'm going.

No rib eye recipes but it does have a lovely section describing in detail how to correctly trap or snare then kill your prey, skin, blood and quarter it as well as helpful suggestions about how to prepare the major organs to add variety to your deep woods diet, including these beauties:

HEART:  "....roast or use to "liven up a stew". Mmmmm......stewwwwww. Who doesn't like a little freshly blooded heart in their stew?

Sweetbreads (PANCREAS): "Boil or Roast". Something tells me you won't notice or care (much) if pancreas is boiled or roasted.

FEET: "Clean well then boil to make stew". Something also tells me I would probably not enjoy an SAS stew......

INTESTINES: "Ideal sausage skins; turn inside out and wash. Then boil well. Mix equal proportions of fat and meat, then stir in blood". Hm....suddenly that stew is starting to sound pretty good....

• Matt R. and todd like this

#272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:06 AM

Most important survival equipment: several lighters.

If you’ve got fire, you’re gonna make it. Forget weapons, you’ve got sticks and sharpe edged rocks all around you. And if you’re in the bush with a shotgun, you’re like 30 steps ahead with survival gear anyways.

Water? Just drink from a fast moving stream. No, you won’t die or get sick, but if you’re super worried make the effort to climb higher and closer to the source. And chances are if you look close enough, you’ll see water emerging from nearby soil. Drink that! Food? Don’t even worry about food. You’ll survive for weeks without anything to eat. Shelter? Get under a grove of large evergreens and you’re not likely to get wet even in heavy rains. Animals? Nothing in our woods will hurt you. Just be smart. Cougars don’t want to get injured by risking an attack on you. Black bears are timid in our woods, but don’t corner them. Wolves are out there but they won’t pose a problem.

Now build up that fire and get it roaring. Help is looking for you and they’d appreciate your cooperation. When you hear a chopper or plane above, throw down dozens of evergreen branches to make a smoke signal they’ll see from anywhere.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#273 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 05:18 PM

Great work by the Ditidaht FN, Parks Canada and others in going a long way to restoring a traditional sockeye salmon run - yet another in a very long list that was obliterated by the utterly crap logging practices permitted in this province. Maybe - one day - we'll learn, although I won't hold my breath.

But in the meantime here at least is one good news fish story and very encouraging development at least on this local level:

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24260147

• Mattjvd likes this

#274 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:06 PM

We did a recce trip yesterday with the intention of maybe dropping some lines in the Cowichan - no way Jose the banks were completely blown and overrun - so we kept going along the circle route to the San Juan River: I have never seen that river so swollen nor so high ever. The campground on FN land just across the bridge from Pt Renfrew was within 3-4 feet of flooding and the water was maybe two meters below the bridge.

If you know the area you know how much volume in the system would be required to raise the river that high.

Here is one pic I took in between torrential rain showers and as you can see the banks are completely washed out and submerged. Quite impressive...

Attached Images

• San Juan.jpg

Edited by AllseeingEye, 31 December 2020 - 02:06 PM.

• todd likes this

#275 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:26 PM

I got shot at in the Hemmingsen Road area on Tuesday, btw. Not fun.

Know it all.

#276 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

Seriously? Beebe gun...or something worse? 

#277 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

Rifles, 22 or 9mm caliber, or thereabouts, but it’s hard to gauge by sound alone when you’re driving by in a vehicle. Two people about 100 meters apart shooting at vehicles, I guess. Because I wasn’t struck I assume they were just having fun at passersby expense. RCMP say it’s not uncommon. An officer went out to investigate but it’s not like they can do much so long after the fact.

Know it all.

#278 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:45 PM

Lots of hunting back up in that area so firearms are not uncommon but yeah a 9mm would be no joke, not to mention its not a hunting weapon. Fortunately our biggest issue was finding a good safe spot to park and hike the river. Geez........

#279 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:48 PM

Popped into Island Outfitters with the intention of spending some of those Christmas gift cards Santa dropped into my stocking and still the major supply chain issues persist. Had $300 to play with and only spent $81 on lures. Aside from the latter I had three other items on the wish list - all standard garden-variety fishing gear anyone would have - and came up empty on all of them. And all back-ordered ages ago with "....absolutely no idea if or when they might show up...."

The guys both on the fishing and hunting side are clearly frustrated with the supply problems which equally clearly won't end anytime soon. The hunting side of the biz did have, I noted, lots of crates of Chinese-made ammunition. The sales guy rather wryly observed that he hoped it was "of higher quality" than Chinese paint, dog food, children's toys and steel, lol.....

• Sparky and Victoria Watcher like this

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

Chinese ammunition? As in they can’t get Winchester/etc ammo due to supply issues?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users