Photo

Fishing

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#301 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:29 PM

Look below the boat and see the rest of the flagpole.

Also, that is not where you fly a flag on a boat.

• todd likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#302 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:01 PM

Correct, the courtesy flag - I doubt these morons even knew what that was - would normally be flown on the stern above the flag of the boat's home port/country while in foreign (Canadian) waters. Still don't see any other Canadian flag aside from the one at top of the flagpole but I'll take your word its there :)

• todd likes this

#303 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

Gotcha. I did think it was an odd spot and didn't see the lower part of the pole :).

Pricey trip for these fellas. How many others do this, especially offshore?

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

#304 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

Gotcha. I did think it was an odd spot and didn't see the lower part of the pole :).

Pricey trip for these fellas. How many others do this, especially offshore?

Sadly, a lot. I rag on DFO frequently but hat's off to them in this case. Canada and BC in general do a poor job IMO when it comes to enforcement matters be it national sovereignty, logging, or fishing....must be the genetic Canadian default setting of "be nice!". See Bonnie Henry as Example Number One....

Insofar as fishing goes DFO has been generally underfunded for ages which is Problem # 1. I think I've encountered them either offshore or in freshwater fishing environments something like all of twice in almost 30 years. Thirty years.

On the Cowichan or Campbell Rivers, two of the most famous fishing ecosystems in the country, and rivers I have fished extensively, I have never had an interaction with a DFO official. But you will occasionally encounter contracted resources out there performing informal roadside (or riverside) 'surveys' of what species fishermen are seeing/catching and where and under what conditions, or taking DNA or organ samples of dead fish that have spawned etc. But that's about it. 

Believe it or not there is actually a National Fisheries Intelligence Service which was started in 2012 and became fully operational in 2016. It works out of Marine Security Operations Centres in Victoria and Halifax and employs something like 50-60 intel agents and analysts. But like any bureaucracy it has been subject to various critiques and I suspect is not as efficient or effective as it could be.

Not long ago I read a UN-sponsored document that stated internationally illegal fishing is a serious problem critically undermining conservation efforts and accounting for an estimated 30of all fish caught globally. So the enforcement issue is crucial because harvesting any resource illegally at those levels is by definition unsustainable; and with huge consequences for all of us well beyond this small island.

#305 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:08 AM

$7,995,000

The Tofino Wilderness Resort presents a unique opportunity for an eco - tourism visionary and boutique resort investor to step into a fully turn - key operation seeking renewed stewardship. This stunning Resort offers an irreplaceable location and extensive infrastructure. Located in the heart of the United Nations designated Clayoquot Biosphere Reserve and only a 20 - minute boat ride from downtown Tofino or more direct via floatplane, the Resort is easily accessible yet worlds away. The offering includes 126 acres of deeded land, including two freshwater trout - filled lakes and a 6.79 - acre Crown water lease with frontage on Quait Bay. Primary buildings include - a floating Main Lodge with luxury guest accommodation, a casual but well - appointed gourmet restaurant, bar and lounge. Just down the Main Lodge's floating ramp is the spectacular cedar 'Long House' perfect for events or a place for guests to gather and relax. The Long House features a remarkable custom suspended copper fireplace and commercial kitchen. After an adventurous day in nature, the Resort's Spa contains treatment rooms, a sauna and a hot tub adjacent to an incredibly unique freshwater swimming grotto. The current owners have recently invested significantly in the Resort, including new staff accommodation, numerous ongoing upgrades, new boats and equipment. According to industry travel trend - watchers, eco - adventure holidays are on the ''Top 10 Bucket List' vacations world - wide. Travel consumers who seek socially conscientious Eco- escapes and low- impact are growing exponentially. The Tofino Wilderness resort offers a wide array of nature activities to suit a broad cross - section of people. Clayoquot Sound represents the epitome of British Columbia's wild west coast. With access to hundreds of miles of shoreline, secluded sandy beaches, spectacular wildlife viewing, the best fishing in the world and endless areas to explore, there is truly no place like it on earth. 

869098_1.jpg

https://www.realtor....y-tofino-tofino

#306 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 12:15 PM

Finally discovered why this year was a tough one in terms of catching fish....*

*J/k....I always catch fish on every trip, every single time. And remember....a fisherman_never lies....

Attached Images

• Mask.jpg

• todd and On the Level like this

#307 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:32 PM

Like just about everyone else I have not travelled extensively for two years, confining most of my activty to the island with the occasional trip to YVR. Finally next month a somewhat semi-return to normalcy at least in terms of getting truly outdoors.

The lads and I are heading out for four days fishing for winter Chinook up the coast. We're taking the Kuroshio, my buddy's commercial dive boat which accommodates and sleeps 4 comfortably. She sports a 12-cylinder Volvo Penta engine which outputs about 30kts going flat out, so we'll get to where we're going quickly.

Given the absence of "real" travel in over two years I'm looking forward to this almost as much as a proper vacation. Pic was taken a few years ago with me driving the boat while halibut fishing on Constance Bank. Fishing is the only activity where you'll see me wearing NY Yankees gear, the theory being if I lose it well.....its only the Yankees. :)

Attached Images

• Capn Rick.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker and SimonH like this

#308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:54 PM

Have a great time, ASE.

I know I speak for all of us that we look forward to your stories upon your return.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#309 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 06:07 AM

Outta here heading out on the hunt for steelhead have a good day y'all.

Here is one of the gear sets I use for steelies for those who might be interested in chasing one of these elusive "unicorns", which are the gold standard for any west coast fly or gear fisherman.

For this setup, run a slider or “slip” float like a Clear Drift (pictured). I generally run a 1/2- to 3/4-ounce model, depending on the size and flow of the river and how much lead I need to get down. Slinky sinkers work well for this technique as they are very snag resistant. Add a 4- to 6-inch worm and you are in business. For this rig, I ran the worm upside down or “half wacky” style to give it some extra action.

Attached Images

• Steelhead.jpg

• Mike K. and todd like this

#310 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:54 AM

Whatever you do ASE, don't take up "drone fishing".

https://www.youtube....h?v=iba7kCnkFos

#311 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 06:23 PM

Whatever you do ASE, don't take up "drone fishing".

https://www.youtube....h?v=iba7kCnkFos

LOL well that's a new one on me, thanks for that Sparky. I'd like to see our group explain_that to a passing fisheries officer. Bass are extremely aggressive so not terribly surprised it hit the lure, but from a drone is pretty damn cool. Might have to add that one to our repertoire :)

Personally I do like the Russian method of freshwater fishing - which of course naturally involves explosives:

https://www.youtube....h?v=mV-FQ-fSDbk

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 March 2022 - 06:31 PM.

• todd likes this

#312 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:52 PM

The short answer to the question in the T-C headline is an unequivocal YES. The scope and scale of sheer human stupidity and ineptitude unfortunately never fails to amaze me.

Herring is a keystone species on the west coast and their collapse due partially to incompetent (DFO) management and also to sheer greed by commercial interests, would ripple out and up the marine food chain with disastrous consequences.

One would hope that after humans essentially decimated the steelhead runs in this province - steelhead are the 'unicorn gold standard' for recreational fishing in BC and are fish renowned worldwide for their power, fight and beauty - and severely impacted other critical species like the Fraser River Chinook, and Sockeye salmon which are also in serious decline, that we would figure out one day how to get along with nature. Clearly that is a faint hope.

https://www.timescol...tic-cod-5179416

• Matt R. likes this

#313 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:30 AM

Pacific herring was removed by Oceanwise as “sustainable” this season, never seen that before.

Various salmon species over the last number of years have also come and gone from the list. Remember to look for the Oceanwise logo when shopping for seafood, and ask at your reputable fish monger.

Edited by Matt R., 23 March 2022 - 10:31 AM.

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#314 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:51 AM

Yup, very sad. It seems we just never learn.

In the last 30+ years since I really got back into fishing seriously - it lapsed after childhood probably due to the "university wilderness years" :), and too much time living and having fun in Vancouver - I have seen and been approached by DFO officers exactly twice, and only once on the vast west coast freshwater watersheds that I've primarily fished since the late 90's. Once. They are historically underfunded and undermanned, and the "science" upon which they rely so much is for the most part questionable at best.....

#315 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 05:15 PM

I may be hurting but that's not going stop us fishing; off to the Nitinat River early tomorrow to renew acquaintances with a few of our Ditidaht FN friends to find out their "secret" fishing hot spots. Going to take a stab at cutthroat trout for a change of pace.

We also finally stopped talking about it and actually booked a 5-day boys only, leave the wives at home fly fishing trip to Tunkwa Lake Resort outside of Merritt/Logan Lake, about 4 hours east of Vancouver. That'll be mid-late in August and something to really look forward to. I haven't fished the lake in almost 20 years but its a great facility and setup for serious fishing folk. MASSIVE Kamloops rainbow trout :)

https://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/

#316 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:12 PM

See you out there maybe! I’m heading up there as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#317 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:21 AM

Heading where - Nitinat or Tunkwa Mike? If the Nitinat we'll be significantly further back up the watershed as non-FN anglers can't legally fish further down where the river enters the salt chuck.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 04 June 2022 - 02:24 AM.

#318 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 06:59 AM

Oh yeah that makes sense. I’d be down in the area of the junction. Our last there, anyway.

Have fun! It’s going to get wet!
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#319 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:42 PM

Oh yeah that makes sense. I’d be down in the area of the junction. Our last there, anyway.

Have fun! It’s going to get wet!

We did, and most certainly did. Hit the water about 8:30, fished until after 4pm.

Long day, so much water coming into the system as a result of the rain that combined with having good tussles with some feisty cutthroat trout, I didn't notice the river level rose about 18 inches in just a few hours I was in up to the knees then hit some good fighting trout and when I finally took stock of what was what I was in well over my waist. The Nitinat is a great river, not heavily fished in our experience and provides comparatively easy access as island rivers go. That helps especially for us older guys with mobility issues.

#320 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 06:54 AM

Man, it was wet out there on Saturday night. Holy smokes.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users