Photo

Fishing

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#301 LJ

LJ
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:29 PM

Look below the boat and see the rest of the flagpole.

Also, that is not where you fly a flag on a boat.

• todd likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#302 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,953 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:01 PM

Correct, the courtesy flag - I doubt these morons even knew what that was - would normally be flown on the stern above the flag of the boat's home port/country while in foreign (Canadian) waters. Still don't see any other Canadian flag aside from the one at top of the flagpole but I'll take your word its there :)

• todd likes this

#303 lanforod

lanforod
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

Gotcha. I did think it was an odd spot and didn't see the lower part of the pole :).

Pricey trip for these fellas. How many others do this, especially offshore?

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

#304 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,953 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

Gotcha. I did think it was an odd spot and didn't see the lower part of the pole :).

Pricey trip for these fellas. How many others do this, especially offshore?

Sadly, a lot. I rag on DFO frequently but hat's off to them in this case. Canada and BC in general do a poor job IMO when it comes to enforcement matters be it national sovereignty, logging, or fishing....must be the genetic Canadian default setting of "be nice!". See Bonnie Henry as Example Number One....

Insofar as fishing goes DFO has been generally underfunded for ages which is Problem # 1. I think I've encountered them either offshore or in freshwater fishing environments something like all of twice in almost 30 years. Thirty years.

On the Cowichan or Campbell Rivers, two of the most famous fishing ecosystems in the country, and rivers I have fished extensively, I have never had an interaction with a DFO official. But you will occasionally encounter contracted resources out there performing informal roadside (or riverside) 'surveys' of what species fishermen are seeing/catching and where and under what conditions, or taking DNA or organ samples of dead fish that have spawned etc. But that's about it. 

Believe it or not there is actually a National Fisheries Intelligence Service which was started in 2012 and became fully operational in 2016. It works out of Marine Security Operations Centres in Victoria and Halifax and employs something like 50-60 intel agents and analysts. But like any bureaucracy it has been subject to various critiques and I suspect is not as efficient or effective as it could be.

Not long ago I read a UN-sponsored document that stated internationally illegal fishing is a serious problem critically undermining conservation efforts and accounting for an estimated 30of all fish caught globally. So the enforcement issue is crucial because harvesting any resource illegally at those levels is by definition unsustainable; and with huge consequences for all of us well beyond this small island.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users