Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#761 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

So remind me again, does the max 10-year-old bus restriction only apply to buses serving Ogden Point directly, or what, exactly? The nasty, diesel spewing monstrosities are out in full force already and they're bloody awful to get stuck behind or to walk upon. Just awful. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#762 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

Huh? 20,000?!    Those would be quite the ships if they each had 10,000 souls on board!!!

Not if they have migrants locked up down below. 

#763 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

Starting this Thursday there will be cruise ships in port every day for 10 consecutive days. Is that some kind of record?

Capture.JPG

#764 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

^ 42,560 passengers over 20 arrivals.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#765 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

That's gonna mean something like 60,000 additional buses* on the streets of James Bay.

* figure supplied by JBNA

• lanforod likes this

#766 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

Here are some pretty solid numbers on the cruise ship ground transportation into town.

http://www.timescolo...point-1.1935014

I wonder how much the taxi companies pay for the right to pick up?

And if you are friendly with one other couple onboard, why would you wait for the $10 shuttle and not just whisk into town in a cab.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#767 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

From Doug Clement:

Ogden.jpg

• sebberry and Bingo like this

#768 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

Some tragic news that will prevent Holland Americia's  936' Westerdam from arriving in Victoria today.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Alaska emergency crews will attempt Friday to recover the remains of eight cruise ship passengers and a pilot who were killed when their sightseeing plane crashed in a remote and rugged area of southeastern Alaska.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Lauren Steenson said the agency received a report around 2:15 p.m. that the plane was overdue. Troopers said an emergency locator transmitter activated in the Misty Fjords National Monument, and a helicopter pilot spotted the downed aircraft above Ella Lake, about 800 miles southeast of Anchorage.

Promech Air, an airline based in Ketchikan, operated the shore excursion sold through Holland America Line, the cruise ship company said in a statement. The eight passengers were guests on the Westerdam, which is on a seven-day cruise that departed Seattle on Saturday.

http://news.yahoo.co...-003600347.html

#769 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

Some tragic news that will prevent Holland Americia's  936' Westerdam from arriving in Victoria today.

Yes this is very sad and I am sure people are already lining up to sue Holland America and its parent company Carnival Corp. :(

#770 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

Ya, no doubt some people met these folks onboard.  Those that met them must be a bit sad.  What can you do though.  They did cancel some type of up-beat social event onboard last night, which seems appropriate 

#771 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

The aircraft?

de Havilland Turbine Otter

dh-otter.jpg

Promech Air operates single-engine turbine Otter aircraft.

This aircraft is our largest, most powerful aircraft and is the cornerstone of our fleet.

It has a useful load of 2200 pounds with seating for 10 passengers.

During 2005, our Turbine Otters underwent a fleet enhancement program, which increased the quality of a flight by reducing interior noise. This plane was specifically designed to operate in rugged bush country and in cold weather operations.

#772 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

MEDIA RELEASE: NEW BREAKWATER OPEN AIR MARKET AT OGDEN POINT DEBUTS ON JULY 5TH VICTORIA – The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) is partnering with the James Bay Market Society to bring Victoria’s newest community open air market to Ogden Point every Sunday in the summer starting on July 5.
The market will operate on the lawn adjacent to the Breakwater Café and Bistro and will feature homemade, handmade and homegrown products such as local specialty-foods and artisan crafts. Live musicians will entertain visitors and special events are scheduled throughout the season including craft beer and wine tastings. “Ogden Point is both an important maritime gateway as well as a vibrant staging ground for community events and festivities,” says GVHA CEO Ian Robertson. “As part of our mandate to continue to improve this iconic port property, we are pleased to welcome the new Breakwater Market and hope that it will become a favourite haunt for both locals and tourists during the summer.” With views overlooking the historic breakwater, beautiful First Nations murals on the Unity Wall and the majestic Olympic mountains in the distance, the Breakwater Market will be the perfect place for visitors to pick up a unique gift and sample delicious local food while watching the comings and goings of the over 200 cruise ships calling at Ogden Point this season. “The market will be able to take advantage of a unique landmark setting that is visited regularly by locals as well as by tourists,” says Carole Elliott, Chair of the James Bay Market Society. “This superb location will enhance and benefit the market, its vendors and the community.” The Breakwater Market will open every Sunday from 11am to 4pm between July 5 and August 30 with the exception of August 9. There is ample parking available in the lot next to the market. For more information and vendor application forms please visit: http://www.breakwatermarket.com/

http://gvha.v3.ca/up...watermarket.pdf

#773 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

The market will operate on the lawn adjacent to the Breakwater Café and Bistro

What is with these people and their fetish for putting markets on grass? Why destroy grass and make life difficult for wheelchairs, strollers and other mobility issues? Markets belong on pavement.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#774 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

What is with these people and their fetish for putting markets on grass? Why destroy grass and make life difficult for wheelchairs, strollers and other mobility issues? Markets belong on pavement.

There is not much lawn there, I'm guessing most of the visitors will be on pavement.

#775 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Yes this is very sad and I am sure people are already lining up to sue Holland America and its parent company Carnival Corp. :(

Don't know what claim you would have against Holland America. You would probably have as much luck suing the travel agent who sold you the ticket.

#776 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

I spotted this off the coast yesterday. Neat how she arrived in port all cloaked in fog.

Cruise-ship-arriving-in-Victoria-cloaked-in-fog-July-12-2015.jpg

• Nparker, sebberry and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

I spotted this off the coast yesterday. Neat how she arrived in port all cloaked in fog...

They are testing out a new Romulan-style cloaking device, but haven't quite worked out all the bugs just yet.

• sebberry likes this

#778 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

I spotted this off the coast yesterday. Neat how she arrived in port all cloaked in fog.

I like the park bench on wheels.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#779 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

News Release

July 13, 2015

COAST GUARD CREWS SEARCH FOR CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER OFF PROTECTION ISLAND, WASH.

SEATTLE — Coast Guard crews are searching for a cruise ship passenger northwest of Protection Island in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Monday.

Coast Guard crews from Air Station Port AngelesCoast Guard Cutter BluesharkCoast Guard Cutter Wahoo and Station Port Angeles are conducting a search of the area.

Sector Puget Sound watchstanders received a call around 10:55 a.m. from a Holland America vessel agent reporting a passenger aboard the Statendam, a Netherland-flagged passenger ship with Holland America, was unaccounted for after the vessel arrived in Seattle this morning.

The missing 65-year-old man, a U.S. citizen, was confirmed aboard the ship by vessel staff when it departed Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, at 11 p.m., Sunday.

Coast Guard crews were launched to initially search the vessel's route, but were diverted after Holland America personnel reported a review of shipboard security footage.

Crews conducting the search include an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Port Angeles, the crew of Coast Guard Cutter Blueshark, an 87-foot patrol boathomeported in Everett, the crew of Coast Guard Cutter Wahoo, an 87-patrol boat homeported in Port Angeles, and a 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew from Station Port Angeles.

"The Coast Guard is working closely with Holland America staff to locate the missing passenger," said Petty Officer 2nd Class Derik Schaefer, situation unit watchstander at Sector Puget Sound. "Mariners transiting through the area are urged to keep a sharp lookout for any signs of distress and report it to the Coast Guard."

Saving Lives and Guarding the Coast Since 1790. 
The United States Coast Guard -- Proud History. Powerful Future.

http://www.uscgnews....c/4007/2559414/

Edited by todd, 13 July 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#780 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

it isn't easy to fall overboard on a cruiseship. . jumped maybe?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users