Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#821 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

Dare I say, it's wonderful when the cruise ships are not in town...  :cheers:

Whatever you say, Marg. ;) 

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#822 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

20151111_153151.jpg

#823 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

A new double-decker electric-powered bus will be the “cornerstone” of transportation initiatives for cruise ship passengers pulling into Ogden Point in James Bay this year.

“The objective here is to mitigate the impact, as much as possible, upon the neighbourhood in which we connect through to Ogden Point,” Ian Robertson, president and CEO of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, said Tuesday.

“The challenge is finding that economic, social and environmental balance that fits.”

This year, 228 ship visits are scheduled between April 3 and Oct. 28. Most cruise ships serve the Alaska market and many arrive on afternoons and weekends. Neighbours have long complained about noise, emissions, and clogged traffic from buses and other vehicles carrying passengers to downtown and local attractions.

The 88-seat bus is being leased for one year by CVS Cruise Victoria, a charter and sightseeing company. CVS has the option to lease the bus for three years and buy it for about $1.2 million US, company spokesman David Roberts said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.awRp3FIi.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#824 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

1.2 million for 1 bus? I'm in the wrong business.

• http likes this

#825 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

1.2 million for 1 bus? I'm in the wrong business.

I was thinking that too.  How much of that price tag must just be to meet certain regulations?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#826 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

Good to see we're finally doing something about all of that clogged traffic on the Ogden Point side of James Bay.

#827 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Good to see we're finally doing something about all of that clogged traffic on the Ogden Point side of James Bay.

The fumes, the noise, it's a zen experience.

#828 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

The article says 100,000 people walk from the ships.  Is that good?  1 in 5...

#829 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

It will be better if we actually David Foster it all the way from Ogden to the Empress.  Put some coffee shops along the way too.  Maybe a bike share with a helmet law exemption.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, jonny and 2 others like this

#830 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

It will be better if we actually David Foster it all the way from Ogden to the Empress.  Put some coffee shops along the way too.  Maybe a bike share with a helmet law exemption.

What ever happened I wonder to those buses?  They seemed like a good idea, and the guy was running them for free, but he either never got approval, or the buses were rejected.  We do allow those low-speed vehicles in Victoria, right?  

pl2534740-eleven_seat_low_speed_electric

• nagel likes this

#831 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

We do allow those low-speed vehicles in Victoria, right?  

I thought we actively encouraged low speed vehicles in Victoria.

#832 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

Seems like Victoria certainly allows them, at least if bicycle powered or equestrian powered.

#833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

A diesel fuel spill of upwards of 20 litres occurred this morning at Ogden Point.

The Harbour Authority has issued the following statement:

At approximately 9 a.m. this morning, the EV Nautilus, while docked at Ogden Point, was involved in a fuel incident due to a faulty gasket on their diesel generator. The generator was located dockside and was being used to power their vessel.

The majority of the fuel spilled on the dock. However, a sheen was noted on the water and efforts were made to contain it with disposable boom equipment. Initial review indicated that less than 1 litre of fuel reached the water. It was later determined that approximately 10-20 litres of fuel may have leaked.

Since the initial spill, a small amount of the fuel moved beyond the boom equipment. The Western Canada Marine Response Corporation and Canadian Coast Guard were notified of the spill by the ship captain. The generator company has been called to service the machine, which will remain off until properly repaired.

More: http://www.gvha.ca/s...den Point_0.pdf

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#834 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

The EV Nautilus.  Not the most reassuring name for a vessel.

#835 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

Acres of Ogden Point parking lot could become one of Victoria’s largest development projects, featuring a hotel, stores, cruise-ship and other marine services, parks, walkways, and maybe even a home for the Maritime Museum of B.C.

Next week, the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority will unveil some of its ideas for what Ogden Point could look like in 30 years.

The authority is looking for input on how the site, which now serves as a cruise-ship terminal, should evolve.

“This has the potential to be one of the largest projects in Greater Victoria,” said harbour authority chief executive Ian Robertson, noting that Ogden Point is pretty much a blank canvas.

Robertson said the images are a reflection of input from the first part of a consultation process that began in April 2015.

There will be several more meetings and open houses with key stakeholders, First Nations, the James Bay community and the broader public before Stantec develops a final master plan.

The goal is to have it complete by the end of this year. Work so far has earned the approval of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce.

Robertson said while cruise ships will be the anchor of any re-designed Ogden Point, plenty of space is available for commercial and retail tenants, First Nations cultural and retail opportunities, exhibition space and industrial use.

He said the cruise industry has suggested the site be built for the community — if residents like it, cruise-ship passengers will like it, too.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Lrq6H0rJ.dpuf

#836 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:40 AM

This development could become a "white elephant" if the The Passengers Vessel Services Act is ever repealed, and cruise ships are no longer required to stop here.

https://en.wikipedia...ces_Act_of_1886

#837 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

4-page-0001a-2-jpg.jpg

2-page-0001-jpg.jpg

3-page-0001-jpg.jpg

5-page-0001-jpg.jpg

6-page-0001-jpg.jpg

1-page-0001-jpg.jpg

http://www.timescolo...point-1.2172141

#838 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

You can put a bandaid on a scab but Under the covering it's still a scab

#839 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

Victoria likes to dream big, but produce small. Throw in the James Bay Neighbourhood Association and here is what we'll probably see at Ogden Point in 30 years:

OP1.jpg

OP2.jpg

OP3.jpg   OP4.jpg

• AllseeingEye, sebberry, Bingo and 2 others like this

#840 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

Haha so true especially when it comes to billing itself as a cruise designation instead of a Jones act requirement which it is if the Jones act is evey recinded the only cruise ships victoria will see are the ones in the brochures in the malls at travel agencies
  • 57WestHills likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users