Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#101 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Home Port Advantage – The balance between benefits and costs would be enhanced if the Ogden Point terminal became the home port for some cruise ships. However, to cap the socio-environmental costs, which would be higher for home-port visits due to provisioning transportation, the overall number of cruise ship calls would need to be significantly reduced.

See, that's the problem. Victoria isn't a home port, so it's not getting a big enough piece of the cruise ship pie. Victoria needs to become a home port if it really hopes to reap the benefits. Sadly, becoming a home port would also necessitate a reduction in the number of cruise ship visits. But you're just not in the big leagues unless you're a home port, and that's what they really want when you get right down to it.

So would they also want a fancy new terminal and a major new hotel or two at Ogden Point as part of this evolution toward becoming a home port?

#102 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

Health care costs associated with higher levels of community noise are also studied. The fact that traffic noise is the second highest source of community frustration, and leads to stress, hypertension, and the possibility of strokes, suggests that the health costs of traffic noise could easily amount to $3 M per year.

An awful lot of supposition, I'm not getting the feeling that this is an entirely unbiased study.
  • aastra likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#103 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

I think a large portion of the front facades of buildings such as the Falls, the Wave, the Juliet, Astoria, Shoal Point, the Reef, etc. should be covered in a big warning that advertises the stroke risk.

#104 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

Being a home port would mean moving people from the airport to the terminal which would also be through James Bay. Perhaps we need to build a tunnel under James Bay.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#105 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

Health care costs associated with higher levels of community noise are also studied. The fact that traffic noise is the second highest source of community frustration, and leads to stress, hypertension, and the possibility of strokes, suggests that the health costs of traffic noise could easily amount to $3 M per year.

Oh my god, I just laughed until I cried.

They just need to spend a night in my place.

Now please excuse me while I go curl up in preparation for my nightly stroke.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#106 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

I have real troubles with people that moved next to a marine industrial zone complaining about noise and such. This is where many BC Ferries were built, where oil rigs were built and where generally there was a lot to smelly loud industries. Ogden Point today as basically no impact compared to the past.

It remains the single largest remaining dock facility within the harbour. Imagine if there someone were to use it to ship containers - that would add a lot of semis to the streets, like there once was.

We have got to wake up and understand that lands around the harbour have a primary role for industry and it should not be restricted by other uses that can be done in all manner of places.

I still am annoyed Dockside Green is going ahead. That land should have all remained industrial.

#107 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

James Bay and Vic West folks will enjoy having a sewage plant plunked right at the harbour entrance - just 500 metres west of Shoal Point - but it might help dissuade some of the cruise ships too?

Recently-died community activist Bernice Levitz Packford was perennially concerned about the gentrification of Victoria Harbour and I recall she seemed to go on a lot about the need for a dirty noisy industrial workspace on the harbour in order to keep industrial jobs around. She might have chuckled to see the rather nasty ship-breaking project in the yard near Dockside Green. Of course, the Steel Pacific Recycling is close enough to lend some sights and smells to the area too.
:)

#108 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

I still am annoyed Dockside Green is going ahead. That land should have all remained industrial.

One of the primary philosophies of DG was to embrace the existing industrial zones in the surrounding area.

Regarding the land itself, there was nothing but dead land where DG was built.

If there was a market for continued industrial on the DG, it would still exist today.

#109 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

Here is a novel idea.

Plug the rascals into the grid like they do in San Fransisco.

http://www.epa.gov/R...Shore-Power.pdf

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

James Bay Neighbourhood Association "The Ultimate NIMBYs". :mad:

#111 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

Oops....posted this puppy in the wrong que

Here is a novel idea.

http://www.epa.gov/R....hore-Power.pdf
Edit/Delete Message

#112 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

Then they'll all be complain about their lights dimming and TVs shutting off :P

I thought that was already looked at here and they determined that there wasn't enough power available in the area.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#113 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

All posts on the JBNA Study have been consolidated here.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#114 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Here is a novel idea.

http://www.epa.gov/R...Shore-Power.pdf

It's not a novel idea at all.

The questions is how much will installing shore power cost and who is going to pay for it?

I think it will eventually get done because a financial case can be made and it is the right thing to do. Even though electricity costs are increasing substantially, it is always cheaper to buy grid power than to produce your own.

This sounds like it could have been a great Infrastructure Stimulus Funding project! :(

#115 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

I had Brian Scarfe as an Economics prof at UVic. Boy-o-boy is he an awful teacher...90% of the class didn't even show up. His lectures were so far beyond unbearable I can't even begin to describe them...

#116 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

One of the primary philosophies of DG was to embrace the existing industrial zones in the surrounding area.

Regarding the land itself, there was nothing but dead land where DG was built.

If there was a market for continued industrial on the DG, it would still exist today.

If the land had remained zoned industrial, there would be people using it. Once the zoning changed, there is no longer available. Though I should note the City levies very high property taxes on industrial lands.

Dockside Green is a location that could have made use of the E&N for movement of goods. I could have also offered the desperately needed warehouse space in this region.

There is no more pressing need in this region than industrial. Ogden Point is zoned industrial but has not been made available for new users. The thoughts of the Harbour Authority have been moving towards rezoning and that is a major problem.

#117 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

The cruise ships are only here for 7 months of the year, so I don't think Victorians should complain to loudly about the pros and cons of their presence, or they will find another location to make their mandatory port of call in Canada.

Port Alberni has been suggested as a stop over in the past.

I wonder what the chances of the laws being amended so that foreign ships are not required to stop here at all? See the Jones Act and Cabotage Laws.

http://www.cruiseco....es/cabotage.htm

http://www.cruiseco....s/jones_act.htm

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

I could have sworn they say "100 days" somewhere in that study. I can't be bothered to go back and check.

#119 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

I would much prefer light industrial noise over what I hear now.

I think I would enjoy watching the cruise ships coming and going.

If anyone has a nicely reno'd james bay condo overlooking the cruise ship terminal I'd be happy to discuss a trade.

#120 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

Ogden Point Cruise Schedule 2011

Begins on April 16th and ends on September 26th.

see schedule:
http://www.victoriah...pseacruises.php

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users