BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

But tha does not mean that if it is passed by City hall that it should not go on the street. Personally I would like to see more pieces of public art around downtown and if it happens to be a statue to a man that revitalized a portion of Vic than I am all for it. Of course I have not seen the statue in question.

I do agree though we can't just have people putting up staues wherever they please. The possibilities of that make our fibreglass animals seem like works by Rodin.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:18 PM

I'm all for the statue. Few individuals like Williams are recognized by this city and quite frankly we owe a lot to them. The least we can do is acknowledge their legacy through public monuments.

Now I'm not saying that a statue is the right sort of monument for every situation, but that's what's proposed in this situation so lets live with it. Next time around the City can be more pro-active about public art instead of always being reactive (apart from declaring questionable objects are "heritage").

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

Why is this in the University thread though...

It has a whole new look!

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

Williams built his empire by playing by the rules and a revitialized Old Town is the beautiful result of his efforts. Let's not sully his reputation by flaunting City Hall and finding legal loopholes in which to force this statue on the City.

When I read this quote I had to laugh, no disrespect Holden West, but are we talking about the same Michael Williams? Remember when he waited until 4am when the police shift was changing and then lowered a pre-made shack onto public property under Johnson Street Bridge so the Apple Tree gang had somewhere to sleep? There was another story of when he told City Council they had no concept of what art was, and stormed out after being told that his buildings could only be painted in colours off the official "heritage" pallette? I remember him as a landlord who would buy his tenant's art in order to help them make rent. He was a lot of things, but a guy who played by the rules wasn't one of them hehe.

I can't think of any other wealthy men around Victoria who inspired people so much that they would fundraise for a statue like this. If there were more of them Victoria might be a lot more vibrant than it is.

The statue is being unveilled between 2-4 on Nov 9th. Come on down.
:)

(btw, I'd agree - The University isn't doing this, anymore than the City is. It is the guy's friends. I don't think it belongs on the University thread so much.)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

Just heard there's going to be a deal for a condo development at Sinclair and Cadboro Bay Road. I don't know the specifics yet.

#26 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

Just heard there's going to be a deal for a condo development at Sinclair and Cadboro Bay Road. I don't know the specifics yet.

The barber shop building?

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

Title: Aerial view of Gordon Head campus looking southeast.

Dates: 1962 Mar. 12.

Scope: Photograph contains aerial view of Gordon Head campus looking southeast, including views of the Army huts and Clearihue construction site in the top right corner below the treeline.

Title: Aerial view of Clearihue, the Student Union Building and Library construction site.

Dates: 1963 Jun. 1.

Scope: Photograph contains aerial view of Gordon Head campus, including views of the Library construction site, Clearihue and the Student Union Building.

Title: Campus under construction.

Part of: Archives Historical Photograph Collection.

Dates: 1964 Jan.

Scope: Photograph contains aerial view of McPherson Library under construction.

Title: Aerial view of Campus Services under construction.

Dates: 1965 Jun. 5.

Scope: Photograph contains aerial view of Campus Services building under construction.

Title: Aerial view of Campus and surrounding area.

Dates: 1964.

Extent: 1 photograph : b&w print ; 20 x 26 cm.

Scope: Photograph contains southwest aerial view of UVic campus and the surrounding area, with Elliot, Clearihue, McPherson Library, Student Union Building and UVic residences.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:58 AM

It must have been a desolate place for school back then.

It has a whole new look!

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

It seems weird to think if you were travelling to UVic in the mid-60s you could see the building you were going to from half a kilometre away.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#30 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

Uvic is beautiful for the air...round 2,000 feet and you can barely tell its a university and not a forest! :lol:

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

This is a rendering of the support services building that will be built across the road from the Econ building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

That one looks pretty good. Should have had another story on top, just like the base story.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

UVIC STUDENT SOCIETY LIQUOR LICENCE SUSPENDED

May 3, 2007

THE TAPS ARE DRY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA.

THE STUDENT SOCIETY HAS HAD ITS LIQUOR LICENCE PULLED, AND IT’S THE FIRST INCIDENCE IN B-C WHERE THE PROVINCE HAS FINED AND SUSPENDED A PREMISE FOR BREAKING LIQUOR LAWS.

THE STUDENT SOCIETY HAS BEEN SLAPPED WITH A 10,000 DOLLAR PENALTY AND A 10-DAY SUSPENSION OF THEIR LIQUOR LICENCE -- WHICH AFFECTS FELICITA'S PUB AND VERTIGO LOUNGE.

THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO THE SELLING OF OVERSIZED DRINKS AND ALLOWING INTOXICATED PATRONS TO REMAIN AT AN EVENT.

THE PROVINCE SAYS AN UNDERCOVER OFFICER AND A LIQUOR ENFORCEMENT OFFICER WITNESSED A LARGE NUMBER OF ROWDY, INTOXICATED PATRONS STILL BEING SERVED BY STAFF.

IT'S THE FIRST TIME LIQUOR CONTROL AND LICENSING OFFICIALS HAVE HAD TO GIVE OUT A FINE AND SUSPENSION, BUT THEY SAY THIS CASE WAS EXTREME.

A HEARING HEARD OF SIGNIFICANT OVERCROWDING, AT LEAST TWO PEOPLE UNCONSCIOUS AND OTHERS VIOLENTLY ILL.

THE 10-DAY CLOSURE BEGAN APRIL THE 28TH.

- RYAN PRICE

========

I've never boozed it up over there. Is it well known for slack management and easy-going tarbenders?

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Felicitas is always a good time!

It has a whole new look!

#35 valdez12

valdez12
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

Right after exams!

April 28th, everyone should have been done and the 10 days will be during the break between two sessions. Could'nt have beeen a better time to loose a license.

The $10,000 sucks tho.. I'm real happy I'm not a student any more!

PS: the Grad Lounge still has booze I'd imagine.

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

I still feel the library addition is a boring piece of work:

More pics:

http://gateway.uvic....2007photos.html

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

One sign of a slow thread is Oxford as the top page poster.

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

Whatever happened to that guy? And whatever happened to keyplan?

People don't just "disappear" like that.

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

I'm convinced Keyplan is amongst us under another identity. I have my theories who he/she is.
Oxford is lurking to this day, I'm sure; a slave to whatever odd principles and pride he had that is preventing him from actually contributing.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

**Silly comment that I decided to delete**

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users