BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#61 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

No bunnies?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qBfLLMSVsYo
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:20 AM

I saw some, I just did not photograph them.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#63 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:30 AM

Rabbit complaints multiply at UVic
Neighbours call the critters a scourge, so university appoints a task force
Kim Westad, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The University of Victoria has a new task force -- on rabbits.

To some, the fluffy creatures are a scourge on the community, pests hopping across Gordon Head Road from the UVic campus and "invading" residential properties.

To others, they're the unofficial mascot of the university.

The number of rabbits heading across Ring Road into neighbouring residential areas is on the rise and at a tipping point, says Gordon Head Road resident Peter Spurr.

[...]
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:55 AM

lol, Galv.

After clicking that link I no longer think trying to kill them would be a smart idea.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#65 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

Rabbits are [url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg:78ee1]deadly[/url:78ee1].

#66 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

What about rabbit birth control medication put into food put out for them?

Wouldn't that be the simplest option?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#67 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

We have to go back to using bunnies for pregnancy tests.

#68 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:15 AM

^ Ewwww.... but even if we did that, the pregnancy/ birth rate in Canada is too low to make a dent in UVic's rabbit population. Unlike human Canadians, they are breeding like ...well, rabbits.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#69 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:04 AM

Less babies, perhaps but not less sex--presumably the lower the birth rate, the higher the use of pregnancy tests. Surely the same granola-gals that buy peat-moss feminine protection can buy all-natural organic rabbit pregnancy tests. Especially when you read news like this.

Caramia, VHF and other Dollar Store fans beware!

#70 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

Well, we could shoot the idiots (irresponsible ex rabbit owners) who just dump the poor things to fend for themselves. Cant blame the rabbits for the stupid behavour of the human population. Unfortunately no municipal council has the guts to enforce a fine on those who discard their pets, like they were disposable diapers. In Austria (i believe), there are huge fines and jail sentences on those who abuse or neglect their pets. The university could develop some sort of adoption program, where bunnies are given to responsible people as pets (but then again how can one determine who is responsible). The other option is too spay or nutter a certain number of bunnies. Culling the bunnies wont solve the problem, it will only slow things down temporarly. You have to get to the root of the problem, owners dumping off their pets.

#71 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:36 AM

Hrmmm... thanks for the heads up about the dollar store pregnancy tests. I can't promise to stop using them entirely, but I will try cutting back.

As for the bunnies, when at a loss, it is appropriate to turn to God for answers. I quote:

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Perhaps I should be on this committee.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#72 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

I suspect Caramia may be a plant, shilling for Big Hand Grenade...

#73 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

i like the new floor-to-ceiling windows on the library. i think i like everything they've done recently. too bad i don't go to school there anymore. :-P a new earth & ocean sciences building is an excellent idea. that department is spread out all over the campus & when that building's done everyone will be under one roof.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

I was up there a few days ago and work has started on the services building immediately across ring road from the Econ building (where the econ bus stop used to be).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

Triviaqueen from Flickr shows us the latest view of the Mearnes Centre addition to the library:

#76 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

That sure is a sweet looking addition to the library

#77 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

I like it, too -- I'm intrigued by that "amphitheatre"-type arrangement outside. Will it be a performance space of some kind?

#78 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

Probably just another place for students to hang out and be cool.

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

I sure don't recognize my old campus anymore, but maybe that is a good thing. It is nice to see UVic continuing to evolve. Does anyone know what sort of rehab is taking place INSIDE the existing library as a result of this new addition?

#80 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

I'm not sure about the new addition - I think there will be new learning labs etc. There is more info here. What I'm excited about is the new coffee shop they are opening at the main entrance side of the building. Should be open January they claim.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users