BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#401 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

in 2011 tuition really only made up 20% of university revenue.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2019 - 02:33 PM.

#402 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

in 2011 tuition really only made up 20% of university revenue.

Sorry by a few years ago meant I graduated in 2018, finishing school late 2017. This wasn't that long ago.

#403 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

So in the grand scheme of things how much does an international student pay per year based on a full course load?  My niece is attending one of the top 10 universities in the world and her tuition as a citizen of the country where the university is is 72k CAD per year and that is just tuition, no residence fees, etc included

• rjag likes this

#404 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

So in the grand scheme of things how much does an international student pay per year based on a full course load?  My niece is attending one of the top 10 universities in the world and her tuition as a citizen of the country where the university is is 72k CAD per year and that is just tuition, no residence fees, etc included

According to UVic currently international students shell out slightly north of $21K in the first year sliding on up closer to $28K by the fourth year.

Purely out of curiosity it would interesting to know where your niece is attending university. We looked briefly at foreign schools for mizz ASE, the most expensive in the world according to the 2019 rankings (we were looking in 2016) is the University of Chicago postgraduate PhD program, clocking in at $57+K USD or just over $76K Cdn, for both domestic and international students....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 29 March 2019 - 07:36 PM.

#405 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

Just tallied up the first year of my daughters Masters in London UK 10 months in to her 2 year program I'm out $30k for fees and $12k accommodation. She has a UK passport but is paying the international rate for fees as she has to be resident in the UK for 3 years to be eligible for the reduced rate of $20k per year. 

I figure she will be $100k for this and another $50k for her PhD but she'll be able to hang her shingle anywhere in the world and pull in solid 6 figures so its money well spent as she'll need it to look after me when I'm old and crotchety

Her fiance is in Germany working on his Masters in Astrophysics and he isnt paying a nickel for tuition but approx $1k per month in accommodation. And he's Australian

• Matt R. likes this

#406 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

Rotman business school in Toronto charges $100k for an MBA program.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#407 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

Rotman business school in Toronto charges $100k for an MBA program.

The numbers I quoted were tuition only LJ, per year (no books, labs or service or ancillary university fees, all of which are on top of the annual tuition); Rotman isn't charging $100K for each year of their MBA program, that is the total cost, all in...

#408 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

Just tallied up the first year of my daughters Masters in London UK 10 months in to her 2 year program I'm out $30k for fees and $12k accommodation. She has a UK passport but is paying the international rate for fees as she has to be resident in the UK for 3 years to be eligible for the reduced rate of $20k per year. 

I figure she will be $100k for this and another $50k for her PhD but she'll be able to hang her shingle anywhere in the world and pull in solid 6 figures so its money well spent as she'll need it to look after me when I'm old and crotchety

Her fiance is in Germany working on his Masters in Astrophysics and he isnt paying a nickel for tuition but approx $1k per month in accommodation. And he's Australian

So, like....any time now then, right? Rachel better hurry up and graduate soon..... :)

• rjag likes this

#409 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:40 AM

The fees I quoted of 72k per year is tuition only, first year undergrad, no books, no accommodation, nothing.  If UVic charges international students 21k per year then its a real bargain.  Maybe Canadian universities need to start double or tripling their foreign tuition?

#410 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

$21k per year is a bargain compared to the USA. Out of state tuition in the US is around $30k for most schools.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#411 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

The numbers I quoted were tuition only LJ, per year (no books, labs or service or ancillary university fees, all of which are on top of the annual tuition); Rotman isn't charging $100K for each year of their MBA program, that is the total cost, all in...

That's kinda what I said, MBA program, not yearly, I know, I paid it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#412 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

$21k per year is a bargain compared to the USA. Out of state tuition in the US is around $30k for most schools.

Yup, I had a couple Americans in my cohort at McGill who chose a Canadian school because it was cheaper than staying in the States. Quebec schools are even more confusing since there is a Quebec resident rate, a Canadian and French rate, and an international rate (French citizens previously paid the Quebec rate, but I think they now pay the Canadian rate). 

• Bob Fugger likes this

#413 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

Yup, I had a couple Americans in my cohort at McGill who chose a Canadian school because it was cheaper than staying in the States. Quebec schools are even more confusing since there is a Quebec resident rate, a Canadian and French rate, and an international rate (French citizens previously paid the Quebec rate, but I think they now pay the Canadian rate). 

Hey, a fellow Redman!  Not that many of us in town.  What vintage?  I remember all of the students coming from countries with which Quebec had bilateral agreements getting to pay the Quebec student rate, while we payed the surcharge.  Lots of Americans when I was there.

#414 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

^ 2013-2015, just a short stint for a Masters in Urban Planning. Our cohort was roughly 1/3 Quebecois, 1/3 other Canadian, and 1/3 international, which apparently that particular program tries to achieve every year.

#415 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

Another protest today. Blockading/blocking access to the Michael Williams Building (MWB) where the Finance and VPs/Executive work out of. Signs are mostly of the 'Fees for Food' and 'Cassels' variety. Sounds like it may go all day.

#416 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

Interesting. The tuition fee hikes when I went to UVic (2004-2008) were supposed to be the end of public education as we knew it, not to mention lead to mass starvation. 

#417 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

So were the ones in 2001 when I was in school.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#418 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

Ditto for the fee increases in the mid-80's when I was there. Rinse. Repeat. Move along now, nothing to see here....

• Nparker likes this

#419 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

UVic Student housing and dining project schedule fast-tracked to be completed one year earlier

An accelerated schedule for the university's new student housing and dining project will propel it to completion in early 2023, 16 months earlier than originally scheduled. The student housing and dining project—the first significant capital project since the Campus Plan was renewed in 2016—will create housing for an additional 621 students currently living off campus and help to address the acute regional need for housing. The two new LEED Gold and Passive House-certified buildings will feature a 600-seat dining hall, two 225-seat classrooms, an Indigenous student lounge, and meeting and conference spaces. Early site preparation work began this spring, at the site between the Student Union Building and Cadboro Commons.

https://www.uvic.ca/...g-schedule news

• Mike K. likes this

#420 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

What happens if a non indigenous student enters the indigenous lounge? Do they call security?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users