BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#461 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 02:00 PM

I think the death star has more glazing, doesn't it?

I'd say this esthetic in moderation could have been pretty cool. But it's the same problem that we see on the tower for Hudson Place 2. The esthetic itself isn't necessarily awful, but by going "all in" with it they make it seem more overwhelming and oppressive than it needed to be. The same designs could have been much better with even a bit of variation in the mix.

If you had shown me some samples of this UVic cladding I probably would have liked it. And then as I was walking away you could have muttered something like, "Glad you liked it, because you're going to get a lot of it."

#462 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 02:32 PM

...The esthetic itself isn't necessarily awful, but by going "all in" with it they make it seem more overwhelming and oppressive than it needed to be. The same designs could have been much better with even a bit of variation in the mix...

It also looks nothing like the rendering.

#463 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:04 AM

you guys don't know what you want. maybe you would have preferred that pam madoff was in charge of that one?

Edited by amor de cosmos, 17 July 2022 - 07:04 AM.

#464 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:25 AM

I never thought there’d come a day when View Towers looks less depressing than a university dorm.

But how many underground interrogation levels does that thing have? That’s what I’d -really- like to know.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#465 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 July 2022 - 01:23 PM

I still think it looks far better in person than those pics

#466 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 02:34 PM

It would almost have to.

#467 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 01:27 AM

Definitely looks way better in person, especially if you still remember well the days when that site was nothing more than an open field and a pathway.. I might just be biased though because I too walk by this building frequently for classes, haha. Both buildings especially look great when looking towards the SUB from University Centre; it makes that area of campus look pretty dense!

Speaking of the other building, here is a photo from today:

IMG_7415.jpg

• Mike K. and corvus like this

#468 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:03 AM

One thing's for sure, these updates are great! Thank you.

• MysticalWarrior likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#469 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:05 PM

The new building (or Building One as the sign outside says) is now partially open! Managed to snap some pics in there while I was exploring it:

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

And of course, an update on Building Two:

IMG_7521.jpg

• Mike K. and corvus like this

#470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:15 PM

Great photos Warrior!

• MysticalWarrior likes this

#471 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:16 PM

When do the inmates arrive?

• Matt R., dasmo, dkuitu and 1 other like this

#472 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:22 PM

Thanks, MW!

Note how the original rendering was of a structure not nearly as imposing: https://vibrantvicto...-22#entry555249

• Nparker and MysticalWarrior like this

Know it all.

#473 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:25 PM

Thanks, MW!

Note how the original rendering was of a structure not nearly as imposing: https://vibrantvicto...-22#entry555249

The rendering has a bit lighter colouring, and the ability to see the glazing through the metal shades, but otherwise the real building looks pretty much like the rendering.

I don't think there is enough inside seating though, based on how full I saw it today, with just staff/faculty and some late summer/early fall courses running.

Edited by lanforod, 23 August 2022 - 02:31 PM.

#474 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:34 PM

Always a pleasure!  :)

I was certainly surprised how much thicker the metal shades were compared to the rendering given you can barely see the front-facing windows, but overall, I can't really point out much difference between the end result and the rendering IMO.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#475 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:08 PM

The original rendering appears to be light tan/beige. The finished product is dark grey.,

#476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:27 PM

Oh yeah, an even earlier design was very light coloured.

Know it all.

#477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:28 PM

You mean like the image at the top of this thread?

• Matt R. likes this

#478 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 07:27 PM

I like the darker colour.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#479 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:40 AM

The Fraser building on the UVic campus is getting an expansion of over 26,000 square feet.

The expansion’s construction is underway as of November 8th and it will house the new National Centre for Indigenous Laws.

*snip*

The project is being led by a 100% Indigenous owned architect firm, Two Row Architect, in partnership with Teeple Architects and Victoria-based Low, Hammond, Architects.

The National Centre for Indigenous Laws will be the home of the first ever joint degree in Indigenous legal orders and Canadian common law. The four-year program where graduates will achieve a Juris Doctor (JD) and a Juris Indigenarum (JID) upon graduation.

https://www.victoria...ndigenous-laws/

#480 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:34 AM

Fraser Building? What happened to "Begbie"? Oh...never mind, let me guess: Begbie aside from being a bad old white guy was deemed not sufficiently progressive and so his name was despatched and consigned to the ash-heap of history in favor of someone more palatable for modern sensibilities. Is this Simon Fraser, or some other inoffensive Fraser person?

Next thing you know they'll drop "Vikings" as the sports teams names because it sounds too warlike and masculine and.....oh....never mind. Sigh....

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users