BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#481 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:43 AM

I was wondering about this "Fraser" building myself. I don't remember it being there when I went to UVic (of course that was in prehysteric* times)

*pun intended

• AllseeingEye likes this

#482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:57 AM

Ok, i see. I was wondering why the name didn’t ring a bell.

The Fraser building was named in honour of Murray and Anne Fraser.

Murray Fraser (1937-1997) was the University of Victoria's (UVic) founding law dean. He served as vice-president academic from 1983 to 1988.

Anne Fraser is a nationally syndicated CBC radio commentator who spearheaded efforts to preserve Halifax's historic waterfront buildings. She developed innovative continuing studies courses at UVic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#483 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:23 AM

Next thing you know they'll drop "Vikings" as the sports teams names...

Cultural appropriation is perfectly acceptable as long as it's the right kind of cultural appropriation.

• Nparker likes this

#484 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:29 AM

Anne Fraser is a nationally syndicated CBC radio commentator who spearheaded efforts to preserve Halifax's historic waterfront buildings.

Somebody should install a plaque in her honour down on Victoria's Wharf Street parking lots.

#485 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 November 2022 - 02:39 PM

Jeepers, this isn't exactly new news. The building was renamed over 20 years ago: https://www.uvic.ca/...spring2001.pdf 

• GaryOak likes this

#486 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 02:53 PM

What's old is new again. Especially on VV.

• Matt R. likes this

#487 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:02 PM

I'm still seething about that whole Constantinople/Istanbul thing.

• Nparker, lanforod and grantpalin like this

#488 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 11:28 PM

They cut down a large swath of trees between the Fraser building and Ring Rd today for site preparation. It was sad seeing the greenery get chopped down, but to be fair most of it is only as new as the Fraser Bldg itself.

The rendering on the new National Center for Indigenous Law are on UVic’s website here: https://www.uvic.ca/...s-law/index.php

Between this, Buildings 1 & 2, the BC Transit Bus Loop (which is poorly designed), and the upcoming Civil Engineering building, UVic has been a veritable hive of development activity.
  • Mike K. likes this

#489 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 November 2022 - 11:43 PM

Is the bus loop actually bad? It’s an improvement on the previous iteration I think.

#490 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:02 AM

Is the bus loop actually bad? It’s an improvement on the previous iteration I think.

The new shelters that were added are terribly placed. The covered areas are almost all by the drop off bays where nobody actually waits for buses. The busiest route, the 4, got no shelters whatsoever, nor did the 14. The 15, which is getting to be a very popular route, is closest to the main covered area, but still too far away. Also, half the benches face into a grassy area instead of a sidewalk, so absolutely no one uses it.

The pavement and concrete pads for buses a good basic upgrades, but the actual shelter options for people are abysmal and totally misplaced. It’s embarrassingly bad. It gives off the vibe that whoever designed the layout had no idea what they were doing and just guessed at where they should put all the shelter infrastructure.

Edited by BikeLaneLover, 30 November 2022 - 02:05 AM.

• Sparky likes this

#491 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:09 AM

Oh oh.

Could you snap a photo for us next time you have a chance?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#492 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:29 PM

Oh oh.

Could you snap a photo for us next time you have a chance?

I might be heading there later today, so I can try to snap one then (unless someone here snaps one before I do!).

I never really realized the lack of shelters for the 4, 14 and 15 stops until now; I wonder if it's because those stops are the closest to the bookstore that perhaps it's too narrow of a pathway to install shelters there? Otherwise, I totally agree that the sheltering at both bus loops are awful as each bay only has one, and people typically crowd under them when it's raining or hot, leaving others waiting either soaking wet or scorching. if only we had what UBC has with shelters extending the full length of the walkway...

bays-1-3.jpg

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#493 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:58 PM

I was looking at that photo and thinking dang, that’s real nice. What’s the problem?! Then I read your post :)

Well, we tried. As long as you try, you still get a pass. I think you guys should connect with campus planning and ask them why they botched the work. Get answers. You pay for that stuff.

Know it all.

#494 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:02 PM

That's a great photo, MW!

#495 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:21 PM

Whoops, I should have added a link to the original photo, but I'll take the credit for finding that great photo!  :lol:  https://buzzer.trans...w-ubc-exchange/

The funny thing about the UVic one is that they do have similar (but shorter) extended shelters like the UBC one, but they're used exclusively as shelters for the bike racks. As much as I would like to rally up my peers and provide feedback to campus planning though, I think it was BC Transit themselves that funded and oversaw the construction so we might not have that much sway  ;)  plus, it seems like everyone (including myself) is slowly warming up to it and will eventually accept it as is, much like when the second bus loop on the SUB side was first built.

#496 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:47 PM

Kids today. This architectural wonder was the bus shelter for most of my time at UVic (bike racks have replaced the wooden benches)

bus shelter.jpg

#497 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 01:19 AM

…it seems like everyone (including myself) is slowly warming up to it and will eventually accept it as is, much like when the second bus loop on the SUB side was first built.

The first phase of the bus loop that was done (quite a few years ago now) at least had shelters more or less in front of where the buses pick up the passengers (although the 26 should have had a much larger shelter).

I’m not against shelters for bikes (see my username) but it makes absolutely no sense to spend what I assume cost tens of thousands of dollars to house a handful of bikes for some of the year, while literally thousands of students have to stand in the rain for six months of the year.

As for your observation about the bookstore’s proximity, Mystical Warrior, I’m sure they could have done a one-sided shelter that didn’t compromise or conflict with building codes. To me, the issue is the planners and designers trying to shoe-horn in the existing ‘style’ to match the other side rather than considering what was actually needed by the users of the service itself. Students (ironically) aren’t very good at advocating for themselves, so I doubt anything will change (unless I do something as Mike K suggests).

Edited by BikeLaneLover, 01 December 2022 - 01:21 AM.

• MysticalWarrior likes this

#498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:59 AM

I’d raise it with the SU. Or the Martlett people. I’m sure they know what doors to knock on. It might make for some good content.

Know it all.

#499 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 06:52 PM

As promised, here is a snapshot of the renovated bus loop! Nothing too special, really. The lack of shelters, however, is pretty apparent; the same goes for the other side.

IMG_7726.jpg?width=895&height=671

• Mike K. likes this

#500 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 07:12 PM

If it's unusual for large numbers of people to be waiting around during the rainy months then the lack of shelters was probably the right call.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users