Photo

Cuff Report

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

Do we have a thread (or post) on the Cuff Report yet? South Island 2020 just posted this question,

The Taxpayers of Victoria Deserves answers now - Release the Cuff report

The people of Victoria have waited long enough for the findings of the Cuff Report which was to be released last June then delayed or blocked by some on Council. We need to know how well our city hall is functioning and how productive they have been. We are calling for the Cuff Report to be release ASAP and stop playing games with the timing - the report should be released before the election. (emphasis added)

From what I heard and remember (thru the grapevine), part of what George Cuff investigated was the relationship between Community Associations (CAs) and the City / Council, and I understood that Cuff concluded that Victoria was the worst situation he had ever seen/ encountered, insofar as CAs in this city meddle in municipal governance.

So, yeah, what happened to his report, and is this another instance of sitting on something (vs. releasing it), because it wouldn't be convenient for some vested interests to have transparency?

If the city hires a consultant to prepare an expensive report, is it ethical not to release its findings to the public as soon as they're available?

Anyone have any other info on this?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

^ It truly bizarre how much power unelected people in the community associations have.

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

I hope the election doesn't have anything to do with the delay because if there is trouble in City Hall, voters deserve to know about it before casting a ballot. There were a lot of interviewees who had a lot to say. I was interviewed twice by Cuff, once with the other CA Chairs and once individually. I'm looking forward to the report. I'm sure it will be enlightening.

#4 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

I hope the election doesn't have anything to do with the delay because if there is trouble in City Hall, voters deserve to know about it before casting a ballot. There were a lot of interviewees who had a lot to say. I was interviewed twice by Cuff, once with the other CA Chairs and once individually. I'm looking forward to the report. I'm sure it will be enlightening.

could someone briefly explain the issue as I am sure, like myself, many are uncertain what this is regarding, and why it is important.

#5 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Do we have a thread (or post) on the Cuff Report yet?

ohhhhh man I want to see this too!!

#6 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

I didn't fill out Cuff's questionnaire, but here's one sheet of questions asked of CA-involved people:

Questions Relative to Neighbourhood Associations

By way of introduction, my firm has been retained by the City to assist it in conducting a Governance Review. This is being carried out under the auspices of the office of the City Manager. As a part of what I am looking at, I would like to gain a more complete understanding of the role played by the neighbourhood associations. Would you please complete the attached survey and return it to me? The results are only viewed by my firm and a report based on my observations on the whole matrix of City governance structures is made available to Council and senior staff. Should you have any questions feel free to call me at 780.960.3637 or speak with the Assistant City Manager Mike McCliggott or Rob Woodland, Director of Legislative Services. Thank you.

1. How was your organization formed; has it been legally incorporated as a society?”

2. Was the Association formed in response to certain conditions that were in existence at that time? What were those conditions?

3. Is there an established protocol with the City Council and/or administration that gives your Association a role in reviewing planning matters? If so, could I please see the mandate?

4. Is there an established process and format for receiving input from the Community Associations? If so, what does that look like?

5. Could the City administration and Council proceed on a matter that directly impacts a particular Association without consulting the Association? What is the likely result if that were to happen?

6. How many residents are there within the boundaries of the area represented by the Association? How many members does the Association have? Does your Association also represent businesses and non-residential property owners?

7. How frequently does the Association meet? Do Council members and/or staff of the City attend your meetings on a regular basis; are they expected to be there? Do they simply show up? What role do they have at a meeting? Can the Association executive “direct” members of City staff (including members of the police)?

8. What range of services does the Association offer to your membership? To the community?

9. What is the principal source of your financial base? Do you receive or rely upon funding from the City? Do you receive other “gifts in kind” such as access to city-owned facilities for your meetings?

10. Are there other pieces of information that you think I should have which would enable me to better understand how you interface with the City. Feel free to attach that with your e-mailed response or if the information is hard copy only, please leave this with Susan Whitehead at the City Manager’s office at City Hall.

Thank you.

George B. Cuff, FCMC

President

PS: This questionnaire was circulated last summer (June/ July?).
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

I hope the election doesn't have anything to do with the delay because if there is trouble in City Hall, voters deserve to know about it before casting a ballot.

Absolutely right.

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

Wow, I really would like to see this report.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#9 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

Wow, I really would like to see this report.

WOW - is this just for City of Victoria, or does it apply to CRD as a whole. I could add one other question - 'do any of your board of directors have a contract with the city' (so many versions of that it would take pages)

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

This is hot stuff. Thank you for posting, Ms. B.

VV has blogged this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

So how do we put pressure on council to release this before the election?

#12 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

I was wondering that, too.

Anyone know the city manager (Penny Ballantyne) well enough to ask her? :-)

#13 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

^ It truly bizarre how much power unelected people in the community associations have.

Myself and mat need a better understanding of this report, and also what you know of this.

#14 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:04 PM

^ From what I understood (and it's 3rd hand, so I need verification from ppl actually involved), Cuff asked all the CAs to respond to the questions in the document I posted, above. He was hired, as per what I heard, to report on the role of CAs and how what they do affects city hall.

The explosive bit is that additional hearsay suggested that he found Victoria's CAs to have too much power to interfere in city governance.

That was last summer, and I haven't heard anything since -- not confirmation nor refutation.

But reading South Island 2020's post reminded me of the whole thing, and like they, I'm now very curious as to what happened to the report.

I'd like to see it.

#15 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

^thank you. Very interesting. I was unaware of this connection between city hall and CAs.

#16 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

^ From what I understood (and it's 3rd hand, so I need verification from ppl actually involved), Cuff asked all the CAs to respond to the questions in the document I posted, above. He was hired, as per what I heard, to report on the role of CAs and how what they do affects city hall.

The explosive bit is that additional hearsay suggested that he found Victoria's CAs to have too much power to interfere in city governance.

That was last summer, and I haven't heard anything since -- not confirmation nor refutation.

But reading South Island 2020's post reminded me of the whole thing, and like they, I'm now very curious as to what happened to the report.

I'd like to see it.

Thanks Ms B. - my emails and letters to the editor will go out tomorrow over this. It is a major issue as accountability and transparency in municipal politics/legislation affects all of us. How many C/A's does Fernwood have? How much influence? (as an example)

This is not to detract from the goals and often positive results of neighbourhood/resident associations, and the role they can take in making councils aware of important issues. However, transparency as to influence on council decisions should be a priority.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:40 PM

Take Crystalview as an example.

What exactly is happening with this project? The James Bay Neighborhood Association (JBNA) has maintained opposition while the community at-large championed the rejuvenation of the site and a new satellite art gallery.

To the average observer it would appear as though the interests of one group outweighed the interests of others, and further to that, city planners at one point decide to halt the progress of the project without releasing any details to the public. So what's really happening? Is one community association the only organization worthy of input on such a major project? Are city planners under political and community (JBNA) pressure? We deserve to know what is really going on and why some constituents appear have more clout than others.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

Send an letter to Council as an active on-line community of interested citizens and candidates requesting that the Cuff report be released to the public proir to the election. Include your intentions to notify the media if the findings are not released before Nov 15th. That should cast some light.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

I'm fairly confident that with South Island 2020 posing this question and VibrantVictoria discussing it, regular media organizations will be quick to knock on city hall's door.

Know it all.

#20 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

Thats good to know. Can you fill me in on South Island 2020. Its the first time I have heard of this. I assume it's a forum as well? Thx Sue

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users