Vancouver 2010 Olympics - General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#561 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

[quote name='LJ'][quote name='spanky123']

I was impressed that several Canadian athletes have chosen to donate the funds they are being paid for receiving medals to charities. That is the true spirit of the games in my opinion.

quote]

They don't mind giving up the paltry 10k to look good, they know they are going to make 100 times that with endorsements.[/quote]

It is $25K for a gold not $10K

#562 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

Can't believe anyone cares about the Canadian Team drinking beer after the game :(

They cared because a few of the players were underaged.

#563 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

They cared because a few of the players were underaged.

As if it was the first time they drank under age.. :rolleyes:

I think I had my first taste of wine when I was all of 6 years old. Always had a little bit at special/family occasions. I rarely drink at all now.

These girls having a drink to celebrate an Olympic gold medal is just fine in my books.

Did Jon Montgomery catch **** for drinking beer from a pitcher in public in Whistler? :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#564 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

We pulled into 3rd for medal standings over Norway. Yippee!

#565 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Men's hockey....not crap

#566 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

We pulled into 3rd for medal standings over Norway. Yippee!

Or first. Officially its golds that count for country standing according to the IOC.

#567 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

I don't even remotely get it either.

Beer, cigars. I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you! Its the slippery slope to utter moral degeneracy.

What next, premarital sex?:o:o:o

#568 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

^ Nope, it's *gasp* dancing!:o
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#569 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:43 AM

I'd like to see the figure skaters drinking beer and smoking cigars.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#570 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:46 AM

So Monday will be the busiest day in the history of YVR. People sure don't stick around once the party ends, eh?

#571 klukkluk

klukkluk
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Can't believe anyone cares about the Canadian Team drinking beer after the game :(

<sarcasm>Well there are rules in this country. Those have to be obeyed, no matter what!! They won't do that in Europe. I'm sure.</sarcasm>

I know, it's because those thight asses from the IOC that enforce those rules..

#572 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Beer, cigars. I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you! Its the slippery slope to utter moral degeneracy.

We have drinking laws to protect young people from going down that slope, but should they be applied to everyone no matter what?

I mean, Olympic athletes, especially those who just won gold are high achievers. Do they really NEED protection from that slippery slope?

To clump them in with the rowdy fans drinking their faces off on the street is absurd.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#573 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

^ Nope, it's *gasp* dancing!:o

Then we absolutely must ban sex if it leads to dancing.:eek:

#574 klukkluk

klukkluk
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

Canada now has the most Gold medals so they are on top of everybody!

It is not the most medals that count, but the most Gold medals. 1 Gold is worth more than 2 Silver. Because it is about being an Olympic Champion.

<from Wikipedia>The silver medal was awarded to the winner of each event during the 1896 Summer Olympics. The current system of gold, silver, and bronze medals was not implemented until later Olympic Games</from Wikipedia>

#575 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Silver means first of the losers. Bronze is the losers' silver.;)

This Olympics sure made me a fan of the short-track speed skating. I love the speed and the strategies and the relays are a blast with many bodies out there. Great stuff!

#576 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

So now that it looks like we will have more GOLD than anyone else, doesn't that mean we have owned the podium? Or at least the top step?

We can argue that yes, we did not get the most medals, as we are a small country, but the athletes we have are the very best, as evidenced by all the gold we got. We just don't have extra bodies hanging around to fill those lower rungs.

#577 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hopefully with all the medals (gold, specifically) we've won, this'll put the naysayers of the 'Own the Podium' program to rest.

With 3 more medal events left, if we can get 2 golds, we'll break the Winter Olympic record for most golds won by a country.

#578 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Obviously we should have started complaining about how bad the "own the podium" name/program is well before we started the games, then we'd be even further ahead. What's wrong with people, with the delay in griping?

#579 klukkluk

klukkluk
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

I'm still very opposed to how the Own The Podium program was marketed.
It's great to give the athletes the support they deserve, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

But there was much more to win in the long end, if we would have focused more on hosting the Games the best we can. Like being flexible with some administrative rules. Because the stickiness of the red tape countries experienced will be remembered.
Not that Canada has won the most Gold medals, that's just jolly for us.

No doubt that Canada owns the podium these games. But we could have owned it all.

#580 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Men's Curling update, half way through 8th end... Canada 5.....guys in pajamas....2

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users