Vancouver 2010 Olympics - General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#701 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:56 AM

I'm as big a supporter of reconciliation as the next person; in fact spent a great day in Nanaimo on the T&R stat talking with friends including some local FN about their lived experiences and they were thrilled someone was there listening and willing to learn a few things.

That said the notion of a 'missed opportunity' re: reconciliation all because the BCG opted not to spend a bucketload of $ on a sporting event rings rather hollow to me.

Of the ~ 200+ FN's in BC we have heard from exactly four of them since the announcement from the government - the Líl̓wat, Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. The latter three bands are currently involved in massive re-development plans for the Kits-Burrard- Vanier Park and Jericho Lands on the west side of Vancouver. Coincidence? Perhaps looking to speed things up by getting approvals and tax relief lined up while the BCG is in a mood to spend the estimated $200 million of taxpayer cash required had they supported the games? Who knows. Just a thought. 

I do know that right now, regardless, I'd bet that 99.9998% of BC residents would far rather see public money going to things like measures to...I dunno..... alleviate the cost of living, address the sad state of health care/doctor shortage, affordable housing, public safety, street level crime, the fentanyl crisis etc etc etc. I'd be further be willing to bet my next paycheck that, given all those pressing needs right now, the same % of BC'ers would have an Olympic Games prioritised at about the same level of enthusiasm as building a nuclear weapons facility in the Walbran Valley....

#702 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:58 AM

...building a nuclear weapons facility in the Walbran Valley....

Is that option on the table? How can I show my support?

• AllseeingEye and max.bravo like this

#703 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,348 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:06 AM

Who?

Marie-Philip Poulin voted The Canadian Press female athlete of the year for 2022. Dubbed “one of the greatest clutch performers this country has ever produced,” Canadian women's hockey team captain Marie-Philip Poulin has been voted The Canadian Press female athlete of the year for 2022.

#704 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:23 PM

Who?

Marie-Philip Poulin voted The Canadian Press female athlete of the year for 2022. Dubbed “one of the greatest clutch performers this country has ever produced,” Canadian women's hockey team captain Marie-Philip Poulin has been voted The Canadian Press female athlete of the year for 2022.

Not a hockey fan? By the time she retires Poulin may well surpass Hayley Wickenheiser as the greatest female hockey player Canada has ever produced, if not the world. She has scored the gold medal winning goal for Canada in 3 out of the 4 Winter Olympics in which she has participated and she has 3 gold and 6 silver medals in the Women's World Hockey championships as well as having won just about every award available in her NCAA career in four-year US college hockey. She's "legit"....

• lanforod likes this

#705 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:24 PM

Not a hockey fan? By the time she retires Poulin may well surpass Hayley Wickenheiser as the greatest female hockey player Canada has ever produced, if not the world. She has scored the gold medal winning goal for Canada in 3 out of the 4 Winter Olympics in which she has participated and she has 3 gold and 6 silver medals in the Women's World Hockey championships as well as having won just about every award available in her NCAA career in four-year US college hockey. She's "legit"....

Never heard of her though. 

See the difference?

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.12.28-16_25_32.png

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.12.28-16_26_08.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 December 2022 - 01:28 PM.

#706 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:26 PM

...By the time she retires Poulin may well surpass Hayley Wickenheiser as the greatest female hockey player Canada has ever produced...

Who?

#707 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:27 PM

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.12.28-16_27_34.png

#708 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:29 PM

I am aware of how Google Search works.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#709 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 02:03 PM

Never heard of her though. 

See the difference?

attachicon.gif screenshot-www.google.com-2022.12.28-16_25_32.png

attachicon.gif screenshot-www.google.com-2022.12.28-16_26_08.png

Sure: of course Davies also plays in the most popular sport on the planet which just concluded by far the most watched sporting event on that same planet, in addition he plays for one of the world's 'glamour' club teams at FC Bayern Munich. It wouldn't surprise me if half of those search IP's were European in origin. Bayern has almost 5000 registered fan clubs throughout the world, with nearly 150 of those located in North America.

Any real Canadian hockey fan - assuming they also follow the Olympics and World's - knows who M-P Poulin is. All media platforms in Canada have her plastered all over the airwaves, online and in print, during every Olympics and World Championships. Hard to miss - unless of course you don't actually follow hockey :)

#710 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:16 PM

I’d never heard of her until today.

I don’t watch women’s hockey though.

#711 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:38 PM

You probably don’t watch women’s sports period. Yet you have the gall to comment on a women’s sports award in Canada?

#712 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:42 PM

Gender is a social construct.

Not sure why we have separate awards.

https://www150.statc...220427b-eng.htm

Of the nearly 30.5 million people in Canada aged 15 and older living in a private household in May 2021, 100,815 were transgender (59,460) or non-binary (41,355), accounting for 0.33% of the population in this age group.

^ are those 100,000 Canadians eligible for any awards in your exclusive cis-gender system?

More than 1% of Canadians turning 15 in 2023 will be non-binary. Can they win your awards?

Or do you hate that community?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 December 2022 - 11:49 PM.

#713 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:49 PM

Whataboutism is something you’re good at, I noticed…
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#714 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:50 PM

The Quebec government says it will spend $870 million to replace the decaying roof of Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, but some sports economists say they’re skeptical of the government’s case. 

Tourism Minister Caroline Proulx said Monday the current roof is torn in more than 20,000 places and if nothing is done, the complex built for the 1976 Summer Games will have to close permanently within two years.

“This monument is one of the cornerstones of economic and tourist development for Quebec, and the east end of Montreal, and … it is being neglected,” Proulx told reporters in Montreal.

Colloquially known as the “Big O” and sometimes the “Big Owe” — in reference to the spiralling costs of the 1976 Olympics and the ensuing debt, which was not fully paid back until 2006 — the stadium has been marred with roof problems for decades. The original design — which called for a retractable roof suspended from an angled tower — wasn’t completed until 1987. It was replaced in 1998 with a non-retractable roof made of Teflon-coated fibreglass.

The stadium can only open between 120 and 180 days of the year due to the roof’s fragility, and events inside the building are cancelled if more than three centimetres of snow are forecast. For more than 20 years, the agency that manages the stadium has been calling for it to be replaced.

The new roof will allow the stadium to stay open year-round and “almost triple gross revenue, from $23 million to $61 million,” Proulx said. She added that she expects the stadium will be able to host around 150 major events a year, up from around 30 now.

The stadium will be closed during the four years it takes to replace the roof. Proulx said the work will be complete in 2028, with the new roof expected to last 50 years.

Proulx says preliminary estimates show that demolishing the stadium would cost $2 billion and would be complicated by the fact the structure is connected to two subway stations and businesses lease office space in the stadium’s tower.

https://toronto.city...c-stadium-roof/

https://twitter.com/...585198321164387

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.05-18_50_31.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 February 2024 - 03:51 PM.

#715 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 08:19 PM

Honestly it’s not that hard to imagine if the structure is intricately linked with many other pieces of infrastructure and retail / office spaces in a CBD. This isn’t the same as a stand-alone stadium on the outskirts of Houston surrounded by a massive parking lot.

#716 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 08:29 PM

There is no way to justify a $2 billion :eek: demolition cost for le Stade Olympique. This sounds like the same kind of math used by the CoV to ensure the replacement rather than the refurbishment of the JSB.

• lanforod likes this

#717 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 09:40 PM

Go research the history of Quebec's construction industry including everything from corruption, collusion, bribery etc., and you'll get a fair idea of how and why especially public projects like the Big Owe evolved and turned out like they did in terms of eye popping cost and colossal cost overruns.

Although mostly a thing of the past that history included extensive mob involvement, union and even public official corruption. Nothing surprises me whenever you hear of inflated $'s when it comes to any infrastructure project in that province be it a highway, a bridge or especially this stadium.

Remember when Jean Drapeau famously said the 1976 Olympics could no more run a deficit than a man could have a baby? Well here we are - 48 years later and that albatross of a sporting palace is STILL unfinished and costing Quebecers literally billions. 

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#718 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 07:49 PM

^And the woke left are insisting that men can have babies.

• dasmo likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users