685 replies to this topic

#681 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,373 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

are you kidding? 

even if the average temperature was up 2 degrees (it's not) there would be a barely perceivable difference between february 1992 snowfall and february 2030 snowfall at whistler.  

why do so many smart people buy into this global warming nonsense?

Facetious - FA-SEE-SHUSS - adjective

- treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

As an aside as anyone who has ever lived in Vancouver (I have, twice) well knows, when referring to "the local mountains" the reference of course is to the North Shore mountains - not Whistler. Whistler is not considered "local" to Vancouver. And with regard to the NS mountains my comment stands....

#682 RFS

RFS
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

https://dailyhive.co...ities-potential

Other potential citie: Sapporo, Salt Lake City, Barcelona, Lillehammer 

#683 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

All the lakes and ponds in Victoria used to freeze solid. Heck, you could drive a car on Elk and Beaver Lakes, and people did just that. 

They don’t freeze at all anymore, but climate change isn’t real. 

OK - I guess?

#684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,966 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

I really don't want to continue to derail this thread, but I clearly recall in my childhood and youth in Brentwood Bay -  some 40 years ago - seeing roses bloom in my mother's garden at Christmas. Make of that what you will.

#685 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 53,972 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

All the lakes and ponds in Victoria used to freeze solid. Heck, you could drive a car on Elk and Beaver Lakes, and people did just that. 

They don’t freeze at all anymore, but climate change isn’t real. 

OK - I guess?

Every winter, all of them? I think we tend to focus on the outlier years a little more, and over time the outliers become the average, the normal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#686 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,867 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

Continuing off-topic here, my time in this region dates back to 1983.   In the 80s snow and freezing were not something that happened every year but at the same Panama Flats froze enough for skating numerous times in the last 20 years.   The time scales we are able to perceive as humans are not long enough to really see the changes of climate change when the changes are small on a local scale.  A 2 degree change locally would not remove winter cold snaps.   To see the changes locally you need to look at long term trends of such things as when certain flowers come into bloom..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users