• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#681 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

are you kidding? 

even if the average temperature was up 2 degrees (it's not) there would be a barely perceivable difference between february 1992 snowfall and february 2030 snowfall at whistler.  

why do so many smart people buy into this global warming nonsense?

Facetious - FA-SEE-SHUSS - adjective

- treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

As an aside as anyone who has ever lived in Vancouver (I have, twice) well knows, when referring to "the local mountains" the reference of course is to the North Shore mountains - not Whistler. Whistler is not considered "local" to Vancouver. And with regard to the NS mountains my comment stands....

#682 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

https://dailyhive.co...ities-potential

Other potential citie: Sapporo, Salt Lake City, Barcelona, Lillehammer 

#683 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

All the lakes and ponds in Victoria used to freeze solid. Heck, you could drive a car on Elk and Beaver Lakes, and people did just that. 

They don’t freeze at all anymore, but climate change isn’t real. 

OK - I guess?

#684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

I really don't want to continue to derail this thread, but I clearly recall in my childhood and youth in Brentwood Bay -  some 40 years ago - seeing roses bloom in my mother's garden at Christmas. Make of that what you will.

#685 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

All the lakes and ponds in Victoria used to freeze solid. Heck, you could drive a car on Elk and Beaver Lakes, and people did just that. 

They don’t freeze at all anymore, but climate change isn’t real. 

OK - I guess?

Every winter, all of them? I think we tend to focus on the outlier years a little more, and over time the outliers become the average, the normal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#686 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

Continuing off-topic here, my time in this region dates back to 1983.   In the 80s snow and freezing were not something that happened every year but at the same Panama Flats froze enough for skating numerous times in the last 20 years.   The time scales we are able to perceive as humans are not long enough to really see the changes of climate change when the changes are small on a local scale.  A 2 degree change locally would not remove winter cold snaps.   To see the changes locally you need to look at long term trends of such things as when certain flowers come into bloom..

#687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 02:49 PM

The province quashed the 2030 Olympics bid.

How desperate must the Olympics be to have to want to host the games in the same cities?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#688 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 02:51 PM

Possibly the most sensible decision the NDP have made in the past 5 years.

#689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:03 PM

It’s unlikely they’ll be at the party.

Know it all.

#690 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:34 AM

The province quashed the 2030 Olympics bid.

How desperate must the Olympics be to have to want to host the games in the same cities?

FN are leading the bid, screw the Province if they don't want to play. I am sure that the FN have a plan to move this forward regardless.

#691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:41 AM

FN are leading the bid, screw the Province if they don't want to play. I am sure that the FN have a plan to move this forward regardless.

Meaning taxpayers would still be on the hook for the costs.

• AllseeingEye and max.bravo like this

#692 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:48 AM

Meaning taxpayers would still be on the hook for the costs.

No no, FN will cover everything themselves. After all, they are leading the bid.

#693 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:59 AM

I'd love to hear a bleeding heart politician try to explain how supporting a FN bid to host a historical Greco-European turned global sports tournament furthers 'Reconciliation'. 

#694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 12:51 PM

I'd love to hear a bleeding heart politician try to explain how supporting a FN bid to host a historical Greco-European turned global sports tournament furthers 'Reconciliation'.

Not so fast:

B.C.'s decision not to support 2030 Olympic bid is a blow to reconciliation, First Nations say

https://www.cbc.ca/n...pdate-1.6632397

These kind of things have big money thrown around. That’s not lost on FNs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2022 - 12:51 PM.

#695 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 01:05 PM

Oh wow, that's an even more entertaining angle than I imagined.

Let's see if the Chiefs can explain exactly how this sets back Reconciliation.

"For our nation, this is 10 steps backwards in reconciliation," said Chief Jen Thomas of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation. 

Ok, how?

"We didn't come to the table asking for a blank cheque. We were [told] this ain't the right time. When will be the right time for Indigenous peoples to be at the forefront in this so-called spirit of reconciliation?" Williams said.

In other words, we didn't ask for a blank cheque [yet]. When do we finally get to ask for that blank cheque?

Chief Wayne Sparrow expressed disappointment on behalf of the Musqueam Indian Band. 

"When the minister mentioned it was not a priority… I mentioned it's bigger than 2030. It's reconciliation and it's working with the nations, government to government, to move forward," he said.

So... you didn't get the chance to act "government to government" because the real government didn't give you the money you'd need in order to pretend you're a real government. Got it.

Sounds like a teenager complaining they can't act like an adult because daddy didn't buy them a car yet.

Edited by max.bravo, 28 October 2022 - 01:20 PM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#696 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 01:09 PM

I have to wonder how something so clearly colonial and so absolutely settler in nature as the Olympics, can be considered a boon to reconciliation.

• max.bravo likes this

#697 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 01:19 PM

Reconciliation: It's about the journey, not the destination [since we have no idea where we're headed, any ole place will do. just don't ask questions, settler.]

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#698 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:52 PM

the inclusiveness & fair-play aspects of the olympics come to mind

#699 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:16 PM

I wish the Olympics would just disappear completely, too much greed and corruption involved nowadays. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#700 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:17 PM

Reconciliation: It's about the journey, not the destination [since we have no idea where we're headed, any ole place will do. just don't ask questions, settler.]

Exactly. Reconciliation has no end point.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users