717 replies to this topic

#641 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Will NHLers be playing in Sochi?

http://bleacherrepor...downs-usa-in-ot

Ovechkin says he'll skip a year of NHL if he has to, to go to Sochi. A lot of people figure Bettman is keeping the Olympics card in his pocket as a negotiating tool for the next CBA.

#642 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

Telling US supporters to put away flags or wind up in cages was done in Canada, by Canadians. If that doesn't make it Canadian, I don't know what would.

I suppose it makes it Canadian in the literal meaning of the word, but I should say that it doesn't make it very Canadian spirited, whatever that is now.

Perhaps the closing cermonies "Sorry" segment should have included an apology to Americans for asking them to put their flags away?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#643 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

As an American living in Canada, I'm sensitive to this sort of thing, so maybe I'm overstating matters, but I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw something done in Canada, by Canadians, that was met with the sneer "How very American!"

I'm sorry. ;)

#644 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

I'm sorry. ;)

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'd rather have the dollar...

#645 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

There is a new league for top level hockey players in the world to play in, the KHL, the Kontinental Hockey League. This is a new Russian hockey league with desires to expand into the rest of Europe.

Marcel Hossa, Alexi Yashin, Sergei Zubiv, Jaromir Jagr and others that could be playing in the NHL have chosen to play in the KHL. The KHL will allow players to play in the 2014 games. The KHL is still mainly Russian, Belorussian, and Kazah players. Their salary cap is high enough to be able to sign NHL players, especially given the exemption for one player to be a "franchise player" and not count towards the total. Their minimum is also much lower meaning they have some decent financial flexibility.

If the KHL gets teams in Czech republic, Slovakia, Finland and Sweden before the 2013/14 season, there is a potential of many decent European players playing there.

No NHL in 2014 and Canada and the US will be lucky to place in the top eight teams in the next games.

#646 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Good questions.

Arresting someone for waving the American flag on the grounds that they are in breach of peace or some crap like that before any breach has occurred is an outrage.

Can anyone confirm this actually happened? I was looking for the news story and I can not find it. Anyone with a link?

#647 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

Can anyone confirm this actually happened? I was looking for the news story and I can not find it. Anyone with a link?

Not sure if you can find it online..

On TV, an officer was being shown talking to someone with an American flag wrapped around their back. He was told to remove the flag "for his protection" and was threatened with arrest if he didn't. Afterwards, another officer on camera was saying that it could be dangerous for Americans to demonstrate their pride too loudly and anyone disobeying an order to put their flags away could be subject to arrest for breach of peace.

I don't know if you could find this online, but that's what was on TV.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#648 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

I thought the closing ceremonies were an embarrassment.

Moose, beavers, courier de bois, and every other stereotype.

How many Canadians have even seen a moose or a beaver let alone have it as their identity?

I was hoping for something a lot more cosmopolitan, classier, and contemporary.

Even if you showed some of the inventions through the years by Canadians that have effected more change than any moose or beaver. Telephone, penicillin, basketball, canadarm etc.

If you wanted to show a beaver, keep it clean guys, they could have showed the DHC2 Beaver that opened up the north and still flies today.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#649 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a live beaver (I think they have some stuffed ones at the musuem?), and I can't recall if I've ever seen a moose. If so, it wasn't in the last 20 years.

#650 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

Can anyone confirm this actually happened?

I can't confirm that it happened but I can confirm that the media reported it:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv...ishColumbiaHome

#651 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a live beaver (I think they have some stuffed ones at the musuem?), and I can't recall if I've ever seen a moose. If so, it wasn't in the last 20 years.

VHF you are lucky this is a family channel. :P

#652 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

I can't confirm that it happened but I can confirm that the media reported it:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv...ishColumbiaHome

Thanks, that's the one I was talking about.

#653 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Aired on nine television networks in eight languages, the game garnered an average audience of 16.6 million viewers, and 80% of Canadians (26.5 million) watched some part of the game.

http://www.marketing...01_175942_13532

#654 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

I notice Public Eye Online reported that the Olympic BC Ad got to the top ten viral videos list here: http://adage.com/dig...ticle_id=142392

I went to watch the rest of the videos but the seatbelt one made me cry.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#655 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

This video sums up the whole experience perfectly.

kz8tzP3oeDg&feature

#656 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

At least this is in line with our new council's usual policy of going ahead and commiting money to something then trying to get others to pay:

JSB
Olympic Torch security
Traveller's Inns

It's the new math.

So should I just check these off as the non-payments come in?

VANOC REJECTS VICTORIA’S REQUEST FOR EXTRA TORCH RELAY SECURITY MONEY

Mar 10, 2010

THE VANCOUVER OLYMPIC ORGANIZING COMMITTEE HAS REJECTED VICTORIA'S REQUEST FOR REIMBURSEMENT OF UNEXPECTEDLY HIGH COSTS FOR SECURITY DURING THE START OF THE OLYMPIC TORCH RELAY BACK IN OCTOBER.

[...]

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=12701

#657 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

So should I just check these off as the non-payments come in?

VANOC REJECTS VICTORIA’S REQUEST FOR EXTRA TORCH RELAY SECURITY MONEY

[...]

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=12701

Blame Langford. They were the ones that started the policy of counting nebulous grant and infrastructure money as revenue so that they could provide a balanced budget. Victoria is just taking this one step further.

#658 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

What if everyone in Canada flushed at once?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#659 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

CTV to broadcast Paralympic opening ceremony in B.C.

By: Darcy Wintonyk, ctvbc.ca
Date: Friday Mar. 12, 2010 4:15 PM PT

Citing an "overwhelming interest" in the 2010 Paralympic Games in British Columbia, CTV will broadcast tonight's opening ceremony live across the province.

The opening ceremony will broadcast live from Vancouver beginning at 6 p.m. The gala will be repeated again Saturday at 2 p.m. local time.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv...BritishColumbia

Which is all fine and great, except Shaw in BC doesn't air CTV Vancouver in HD.

#660 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

http://www.ctvbc.ctv...BritishColumbia

Which is all fine and great, except Shaw in BC doesn't air CTV Vancouver in HD.

Bit disappointing that it isn't in HD :rolleyes:

I'm amazed how packed BC place is for this. I would have thought they'd barely fill half.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users