Photo

Vancouver 2010 Olympics - General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#161 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

I can't really see what Intrawest is complaining about - they just got a $600million subsidy on road improvements to their resort, and the whole Owelympics and VANHOCK deal could be construed as a massive advertising blitz for them...:rolleyes:
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

I can't really see what Intrawest is complaining about - they just got a $600million subsidy on road improvements to their resort, and the whole Owelympics and VANHOCK deal could be construed as a massive advertising blitz for them...:rolleyes:

Hmm, I did not know that the company that owns Intrawest (Fortress) was also the main lender to the Millenium Group that had to abandon building the Athlete's Village.

#163 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Olympic torch bearer knocked down
Torch not extinguished in fall, police say
Last Updated: Monday, December 28, 2009 | 3:57 PM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/ca...relay-fall.html

A 19-year-old protester is facing assault charges after an Olympic torch bearer was knocked to the ground Monday morning in Guelph, Ont.[...]

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

Scotiabank on thin ice with promotion featuring Olympian Cassie Campbell

By YVONNE ZACHARIAS, Canwest News Service
January 13, 2010

http://www.timescolo...8387/story.html

[...]

Cassie Campbell also happens to be married to a high-up exec with Hockey Canada, Brad Pascall (son of former BCTV broadcaster Bernie), so it's not as if this was not thought out first. Of course, Hockey Canada also aligned with Pepsi for a disastrous ad campaign for the World Juniors, even though Coke is the Olympics sponsor.

VANOC should take a hike, they can't decide what companies are going to support us cheering for our team.

#165 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

Meanwhile I am waiting anxiously for the start of the games. I love the winter games and will be glued to the screen for the duration. I will be seeing what tickets I can procure for not much money.

Yes, I am excited. There is a good chance that on Feb 13th the first Canadian will win a gold medal on home soil.

I will also be watching the paralympic opening ceremonies since I found out my nephew will be carrying the name placard for Canada at them.

Given that the Olympics are a bigger deal now than 22 or 34 years ago, the 2010 games in Vancouver are the biggest global event to happen in Canada

#166 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

Meanwhile I am waiting anxiously for the start of the games. I love the winter games and will be glued to the screen for the duration. I will be seeing what tickets I can procure for not much money.

Yes, I am excited. There is a good chance that on Feb 13th the first Canadian will win a gold medal on home soil.

I will also be watching the paralympic opening ceremonies since I found out my nephew will be carrying the name placard for Canada at them.

Given that the Olympics are a bigger deal now than 22 or 34 years ago, the 2010 games in Vancouver are the biggest global event to happen in Canada

I am more concerned about what is going to happen after the games. Lots of gossip within the public sector right now about massive cuts being announced shortly after the games are over.

#167 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

I am more concerned about what is going to happen after the games. Lots of gossip within the public sector right now about massive cuts being announced shortly after the games are over.

I ma curious what makes people think that or why people would think there is any sort of connection between the two.

#168 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

I ma curious what makes people think that or why people would think there is any sort of connection between the two.

LOL, please, Bernard, of all people you have to be joking with that statement? the City of Vancouver is strapped for cash, they are already laying off firefighters...FIREFIGHTERS. If you can't think for one minute that the financial boondoggle that is facing Vancouver will not transcend into the ranks of the provincial public service you must be living in a different reality than the rest of us.

#169 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

I like it! What better time to hold an auction than right in the middle of the Olympics!

Now THAT is marketing...

http://www.reuters.c...012353320100120

I'm unclear on how exactly Whistler works, I've never been. I mean like the village part, not the ski hill(s) themselves.

Is the whole village owner by the resort, like DisneyLand? Or is it owned by the resort, with business space leased out like a shopping mall? Or is part resort, part City, like does the resort own retail space in other's buildings, but sublet etc.?

#170 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,646 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Meh - its all the same to me; besides I managed to score tickets this week to the Canada-US Men's hockey game. Let the games begin :D

#171 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

I will be watching the paralympic games opening, my nephew will be carrying the placard with CANADA on it in front of Team Canada. He will be the first person into the stadium as the 60,000 people cheer for Canada.

I am getting excited about the Olympics. Though I am worried that CTV will have a mediocre feed online for the games. CBC was great for Beijing.

#172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

Is the whole village owner by the resort, like DisneyLand? Or is it owned by the resort, with business space leased out like a shopping mall? Or is part resort, part City, like does the resort own retail space in other's buildings, but sublet etc.?

Anyone? :confused:

#173 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

It's like a fancy village with expensive hotels, shops, bars, restaurants and a couple of grocery stores.

#174 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

It's like a fancy village with expensive hotels, shops, bars, restaurants and a couple of grocery stores.

Ya, I understand how it looks, but that also descibes Oak Bay, and it can't go bankrupt all at once, like Whistler has. Do they own the acres of village space and do they own every hotel, shop, bar, restaurant and grocery store (like DisneyLand), or do they own all the acreage and buildings and lease them out like a shopping plaza/centre operator?

#175 hoi polloi

hoi polloi
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

I like it! What better time to hold an auction than right in the middle of the Olympics!

Now THAT is marketing...

http://www.reuters.c...012353320100120

I'm unclear on how exactly Whistler works, I've never been. I mean like the village part, not the ski hill(s) themselves.

not clear either, but the venues are part of the drama and that is just much needed giddy making fun. :D until i learn otherwise, will self amuse with worst case scenarios. :cool:

#176 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

Check it out. A municipality with Mayor and council, property taxes and utilities.

http://www.whistler....ntpage&Itemid=1

I think the area for sale it the mountains slopes.

#177 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

This is my understanding, and I might be wrong. The current Whistler-Blackcomb resort area came from four land sales of Garibaldi Provincial Park sold to private holders. Whistler mountain started as a ski hill in the late '60s from the first, in the early 80's two more section were sold. The first to the then owners of Whistler which became the village, and to a separate company that started Blackcomb. In the late 80's a fourth section was sold off by the province which I believe it the area to the South of the village and Blackcomb was bought by interwest. Then in the mid nighties Interwest bought Whislter mountain and merged them. So Interest now controls both mountain and most of the Village. As for the Village They own most of it and rent it out, but I believe have sold off plots of land all over the place. So Interwest is by far the largest property owner in the village, but they don't own it all. I remember reading right before the credit crunch that the municipality was petitioning the government to disperse more crown land to expand, but no idea what came of that.

#178 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

What is for sale by creditors is a all or parts of Interwests Assents, which are alot more than Whistler:

• Blue Mountain, Ontario
  • Mountain Creek, New Jersey
  • Panorama Mountain Village, British Columbia
  • Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort, Florida
  • Snowshoe Mountain, West Virginia
  • Steamboat Ski Resort, Colorado
  • Stratton Mountain Resort, Vermont
  • The Village at Squaw Valley, California
  • Mont Tremblant Resort, Quebec
  • Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia
  • Winter Park, Colorado

They also own come sports and clothing companies related to ski and boarding but a quick google search has failed me.

#179 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:44 AM

In other Olympics-related disasters:

http://www.facebook....n?ref=nf&v=wall

2012 OLYMPICS LOGO (cost $800,000) LOOKS LIKE LISA SIMPSON GIVING ...

A segment of animated footage released at the same time as the logo was reported to trigger seizures in a small number of people with photosensitive epilepsy. The charity Epilepsy Action received telephone calls from people who had had seizures after watching the sequence on TV. In response, a short segment was removed from the London 2012 website.[48] Ken Livingstone, then London Mayor, said that the company who designed the film should not be paid for what he called a "catastrophic mistake".[49]

http://en.wikipedia....r_Olympics#Logo

#180 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

This guy predicts the medal count with amazing accuracy.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users