Photo

Tim Hortons in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#101 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

Since it's one of the few places that don't serve burnt tasting dark roast, I love their coffee, but their baked goods are AWFUL!! They may look good behind the glass, but are tasteless and nauseatingly doughy

#102 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I was a Tim's coffee addict for years. Double,double. When I started drinking it black it dawned on me how crappy it was. I started searching for quick and easy alternative and have found that the fresh ground Americano from McDonalds is excellent, with the Seattles Best sold at the various Mac's Convenience Stores a close second. I refuse to have a baked item at Tims for the reasons cited previously.

#103 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

I could never understand the attraction to Tim's coffee. The fact that people would wait in a 10 minute line-up to get this swill left me wondering if they weren't putting something a little more habit-forming than caffeine in there. Seattle's Best level 5 is my cuppa tea but I still wouldn't line up for it...unless it came with a good breakfast/brunch.

#104 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

^ I think Tim Horton's has been cost cutting and turning out worse and worse product on the back of their great marketing campaign, not dissimilar to those used by Molson's, that convince the masses that Tim Horton's is the patriotic choice. I feel nostalgic for the early mornings next to the hockey rink sipping a Tim Horton's coffee, despite the fact that I have never had a coffee at a hockey rink. I suppose they are the only Canadian fast food chain. Feeling part of Canada, while getting caffeine, starch and sugar is a strong combination for many, it would seem.

As I've said before, I rather expect someone making fresh donuts and good coffee would attract a huge following in Victoria. One can only hope for that happy day.

#105 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

I've mostly gone off donuts now. I do enjoy a daily double-double and cranberry-raspberry-bran muffin in the early afternoon.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#106 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Are there any other donut shops in town?

#107 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

There is a guy making good dough-nuts and selling them at the farmer's market in Market Square on Wednesdays. He also supplies Spice Water (little coffee shop on Courtenay that used to be a Budget?) with some excellent products. He uses the name B'Red and used to be in that building on Tillicum (Bakery by day...pasta restaurant by night!)

Of course they are not as cheap as a Timmies product but I always go back to the price v value proposition :-)

#108 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

I've mostly gone off donuts now. I do enjoy a daily double-double and cranberry-raspberry-bran muffin in the early afternoon.

Have you checked the calorie count for that muffin versus the donut?

I'm guessing the muffin to be 50% more.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#109 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Probably :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#110 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

I could never understand the attraction to Tim's coffee. The fact that people would wait in a 10 minute line-up to get this swill left me wondering if they weren't putting something a little more habit-forming than caffeine in there. Seattle's Best level 5 is my cuppa tea but I still wouldn't line up for it...unless it came with a good breakfast/brunch.

I can't stomach the stuff. Last time I had one I swear it smelled like cat urine.

I'll only drink organic and have it black.

#111 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Have you checked the calorie count for that muffin versus the donut?

I'm guessing the muffin to be 50% more.

Calorie count?

Have you seen the fat and sodium levels?!

#112 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

I can't stomach the stuff. Last time I had one I swear it smelled like cat urine.

I'll only drink organic and have it black.

Tim hortons is a reasonable cup of coffee for a mostly reasonable price. Does Cafe Fantastico make better coffee? Of course, but it also costs more. I make much better coffee at home. When I'm out, Tim Horton's is better than any other fast food or convenience type store and better than most run of the mill restaurants.

#113 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Tim hortons is a reasonable cup of coffee for a mostly reasonable price. Does Cafe Fantastico make better coffee? Of course, but it also costs more. I make much better coffee at home. When I'm out, Tim Horton's is better than any other fast food or convenience type store and better than most run of the mill restaurants.

I still can't drink it. I won't drink Starbuck's either. It's my choice to support organic and fair trade products.

#114 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

I've definitely gotten an ammonia-like, cat-urine-esque odor off of Tim's before. Makes me wonder if they rinse the gear well enough after washing...

If I'm really desperate for a cheap cup o' joe, I'll take McDonald's over Tim's or Starbucks. Between the latter two, I don't know which is worse; they're both putrid in their own unique ways. Starbucks probably edges out Tim Hortons for how hilariously over-roasted their beans are.

#115 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

I still can't drink it. I won't drink Starbuck's either. It's my choice to support organic and fair trade products.

That's great, but Starbucks also offers organic and fair trade coffee.

#116 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well it certainly does sound like it's worth the extra money... http://en.wikipedia....ir_trade_debate

#117 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Tim's has dropped the egg salad sandwich from the menu :(

#118 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Does anyone remember what this location was before it was a Tim's?  I moved into the area in 2004, and, IIRC, it was Tim's then, but as a student in the 90's, I don't remember?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#119 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

According to the TC, the Tims behind the new Paragon office building at Shelbourne and Cedar Hill took over from Pizza Hut in 2006 while the University Heights Tims a few blocks north opened sometime between 2003 and 2006. They don't say what was there before. It may have been a new build.

Edit: this seems to contradict:

Jack Knox, 2001:

The new A&W in Colwood has [a drive-thru]. So does the A&W that opened near Costco last year. So does the new Tim Hortons on Shelbourne, and the one on Goldstream.

Edited by Holden West, 22 April 2014 - 02:24 PM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#120 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

And the other one by the Boston Pizza and Canadian Tire was a movie store.  I can't remember if it was a BlockBuster or something else.  They had a drive-thru video rental return. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users