^My God man, are you flensing whales?

#422 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:24 AM

^My God man, are you flensing whales?

Don’t judge me I’m an octopus.

probably 40% is paper towels.

Edited by todd, 18 August 2021 - 09:29 AM.

#423 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 August 2021 - 11:39 AM

What I've seen Victoria do is a garbage guy runs ahead of the truck and pulls the bins to the curb. So it's a three man crew; curb runner, driver and a guy unloads the bins in the back of the truck.

In Saanich it appears to be a one-man operation. Residents put the bins on the curb and the driver unleashes the big claw that dumps the bins in the top of the truck.

X2 trucks (one for each type). So 2 man operation overall.

#424 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:13 PM

Saw this today at Bottle Depot on Quadra near McKenzie:

Bottle Depot Quadra in Saanich.jpg

#425 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:04 AM

“Scavenging and identity theft”

“Three tips to reduce risk of scavengers rummaging through your recyclables:

Do not include refundable beverage containers. Return to depot, retailer or donate to bottle drive or community donation bin.

Remove any personal information and shred sensitive paperwork. Place shredded paper inside a paper bag or box (e.g. cereal box, shoe box) to keep it secure and prevent litter.

Place your recyclables at the curb in the morning (by 7:30am) on your collection day”:

https://www.crd.bc.c...lue-box-program

#426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:07 AM

The bottle and can recycling more or less pays for the rest of the recycling pick-up at our doors, doesn’t it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#427 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:18 AM

What is the best bottle depot? The one on Queens is big and is a good facility, always an eye-opening experience often times get into a conversation. but I do fear for safety a bit

#428 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:22 AM

The bottle and can recycling more or less pays for the rest of the recycling pick-up at our doors, doesn’t it?

not really sure.  but i'm sure it costs lots more that $3k per day to have trucks and drivers on the routes daily.

what do they do with the refundable deposit containers?  they have in the past just smashed and landfilled the glass anyway. 

#429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:29 AM

I believe jars and such, but the beverage containers would have resulted in payment back to the collector.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#430 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:30 AM

I like giving them to the Scouts. The local troop or Camp Barnard usually does a drop and go about three or four times a year unfortunately no dates right now but I bet towards Christmas they will.

just drop and go: http://www.campbarna...draising/events

Edited by todd, 26 September 2021 - 07:52 AM.

#431 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:38 PM

Consumer Reports just did a study on recycling in the US, only about 8.7% is actually recycled, another 18% is burned for energy production and the rest goes to a landfill. Only categories 1 and 2 are recycled.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#432 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:56 AM

I can’t bring myself to use recycled toilet paper or paper towels. I know it’s disinfected and re-processed but it still bothers me

#433 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 02:35 PM

Greater Victoria residents are being asked to hold onto their glass items for now as recycling operations join the list of sectors impacted by B.C.’s disastrous floods.

Recycle BC said Thursday that all depot and curbside collection of glass bottles, glass jars and foam packaging will be temporarily suspended starting Nov. 22. The recycling organization asks that people hold onto these items until processing resumes.

The primary end market for glass is currently underwater due to this week’s unprecedented flooding, Recycle BC said in a statement. The non-profit added it can’t move glass from receiving facilities due to road closures and the flooding has also impacted the availability of trucks for hauling material.

https://www.vicnews....-to-b-c-floods/

Honestly. What a ridiculous system we have.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 November 2021 - 02:37 PM.

#434 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 02:45 PM

My condo building hasn't accepted glass for recycling in over a year.

#435 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 02:48 PM

I’m sure you save it up and once a year take it to a depot.
  • todd likes this

#436 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 03:11 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• phx and Matt R. like this

#437 kirk

kirk
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:15 PM

My condo building hasn't accepted glass for recycling in over a year.

Unfortunately for several years now, no condos or apartments in Victoria have their glass recycled (other than refundables). Glass is only recycled in the city blue box system.  It's because there is no market for glass recycling on the island (too heavy to ship out). I'm surprised this is not talked about more.  

I live in a condo & our old provider stopped picking it up so we switched to a new one because of it (but when I called the new provider & asked we realized they are picking it up but just putting it in the garbage) - I tried to make signs so at least people are aware (as it's unfortunate that people are unaware & think it's being recycled) 

I now buy all pasta etc in tin cans instead.  Wrote the city about it a few years ago (about it filling up city landfills but they basically wrote back to me that glass is inert.) 

There are a few TC articles about it in the past:  https://www.timescol...e-glass-4668727

1f615.png

#438 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:43 PM

...there is no market for glass recycling on the island (too heavy to ship out). I'm surprised this is not talked about more...

I'm not surprised. Talking about this would be tantamount to admitting that recycling isn't the panacea it is touted to be.

• LocalMom likes this

#439 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:50 PM

I'm not surprised. Talking about this would be tantamount to admitting that recycling isn't the panacea it is touted to be.

there are reasons why reduce and reuse are listed first...

Attached Images

• rrr.jpg

• vortoozo likes this

#440 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:30 AM

there are reasons why reduce and reuse are listed first...

I used to reuse my plastic grocery bags...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users