687 replies to this topic

#461 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,043 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 01:48 AM

First world problem:

Some Victoria residents going on six weeks without recycling pickup

Perfect storm of weather, high volumes, staff shortages and equipment repairs prolong delays

https://www.vicnews....cycling-pickup/

We really need to get that recycling to the landfill quicker.

What percentage of recycling actually gets recycled?

According to the EPA, Americans generate more than 267 million tons of solid waste every year. In 2017, only 94.2 million tons of that waste was either recycled or composted. That's only about 35 percent of the total amount, and when you take into account that only 8 percent of discarded plastics were recycled that year, things start to look more unsettling. 

https://www.greenmat...y-gets-recycled

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2022 - 01:51 AM.

#462 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 07:55 AM

Yeah but I have unlimited recycling and limited trash. It’s more just practical to recycle.

#463 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:01 AM

Now add the enormous amounts of water required to clean recyclables before they’re allowed into the system.

Maybe the CRD is on to something here.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#464 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,043 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:30 AM

Now add the enormous amounts of water required to clean recyclables before they’re allowed into the system.

We spend X amount of  money to clean the water to drinking standard.  Then we use it to rinse out a milk carton.  Then the rinse water which is 99.99% clean water and 0.01% cow milk is cleaned to some type of standard before we put back into the ocean with the whale and fish sh*t.

• newbie_01 likes this

#465 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:33 AM

Quite the thing, isn’t it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#466 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:33 PM

Jobs for the boys. 

• todd likes this

#467 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:05 PM

First world problem:

Some Victoria residents going on six weeks without recycling pickup

Perfect storm of weather, high volumes, staff shortages and equipment repairs prolong delays

https://www.vicnews....cycling-pickup/

We really need to get that recycling to the landfill quicker.

What percentage of recycling actually gets recycled?

According to the EPA, Americans generate more than 267 million tons of solid waste every year. In 2017, only 94.2 million tons of that waste was either recycled or composted. That's only about 35 percent of the total amount, and when you take into account that only 8 percent of discarded plastics were recycled that year, things start to look more unsettling. 

https://www.greenmat...y-gets-recycled

CRD diversion rate is much better. And because we generally do a good job at not contaminating the streams, we're able to find buyers for most recycled material.

#468 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:13 PM

🔹Milk and milk substitute container deposits, refunds at recycling centres, will begin this February🔹

The provincial government will institute a 10 cent deposit fee on milk and milk substitute containers starting February 1st. Milk containers will now be accepted at recycling centres to return deposits to consumers, just like the current practice of charging deposits on aluminum can and glass bottled drinks. More from the province:

As of Feb. 1, 2022, people in B.C. will be able to return milk and milk-substitute beverage containers for a refund to reduce waste as part of the Province’s CleanBC Plastics Action Plan.

Shifting milk containers to the deposit-refund system will capture the millions of additional plastic and fibre-based containers that were otherwise being thrown out, such as those from restaurants, schools and offices that did not have access to the residential recycling system.

At the time of purchase, a refundable deposit of 10 cents will be paid for each eligible container. Consumers will get their deposit back when they return their containers.

Clean and rinsed milk and milk-substitute (e.g., oat, almond, soy) beverage containers purchased on or after Feb. 1, 2022, will be accepted by the deposit-refund program. These containers should no longer be placed in the residential blue box.

Residents are encouraged to continue recycling containers that are not being added to the deposit-refund system, such as infant formula, meal replacement/dietary supplements, coffee cream, whipping cream, buttermilk or drinkable yogurt, through curbside, multi-family or depot services.

Returning beverage containers for recycling supports the CleanBC Plastics Action Plan to prevent plastic waste, keep more waste out of landfills, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and create a cleaner, better future.

Know it all.

#469 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:15 PM

Just another tax.

• Barrrister likes this

#470 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:32 PM

Just another tax.

How is a refundable deposit a tax?

• marks_28 likes this

#471 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:42 PM

How is a refundable deposit a tax?

The refund goes to the hobo that collects the containers.

• Nparker likes this

#472 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:43 PM

And what do folks who don't live near the Return It Centre do? Or those without transport? Should we waste all that gas to drive there for forty cents every couple of weeks? If the store is going to charge me a deposit, they should be required to take back the container and return my deposit to me. 

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#473 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:47 PM

And what do folks who don't live near the Return It Centre do? Or those without transport? Should we waste all that gas to drive there for forty cents every couple of weeks? If the store is going to charge me a deposit, they should be required to take back the container and return my deposit to me. 

That's exactly what you can do. You can take it back to the store you bought it from on your next trip.

#474 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:49 PM

The BC Recycling Regulation, Schedule 1, Beverage Container Product Category states: "a person may return for refund to a retailer not more than 24 containers per day that are of the same beverage container subcategory and brand that the retailer sells."

#475 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2022 - 04:09 PM

For crying out loud.  I already recycle all of that stuff as it is. I use so little of it anyway that it's not worth my time/hassle to return them though... this is just another tax to me.

• Barrrister likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#476 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 11:07 PM

The refund goes to the hobo that collects the containers.

at least one of those hobos is out there picking up cans and such for charity

they say around $3000/day of deposit containers goes in the recycling bin/trash every day in CRD

#477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 11:50 PM

...they say around $3000/day of deposit containers goes in the recycling bin/trash every day in CRD

And that's why it's just another tax.

#478 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 12:01 AM

That's exactly what you can do. You can take it back to the store you bought it from on your next trip.

No way I’m giving someone back their deposit at my restaurant. Lol.

Also, I have read that you must not crush plastic milk jugs if you wish to get the deposit back. Too thick for the shredding machinery. I hope I’m wrong on that one, it’s early days.

Edited by Matt R., 22 January 2022 - 12:07 AM.

• todd likes this

#479 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:38 AM

No way I’m giving someone back their deposit at my restaurant. Lol.

I don't think restaurants are meant to take them back. But retail like Save On, Thrifty, Costco, etc. all do.

#480 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 04:10 PM

From what I read about this new milk deposit, you can only get the deposit returned at the Return It Centre. The stores won't be taking back your milk cartons. https://www.burnabyn...e-feb-1-4966664

https://www.return-i...cling/milk2022/

Edited by mbjj, 22 January 2022 - 04:17 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users