903 replies to this topic

#401 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

^What were you expecting, Coors Lite?

It wouldn't be a day ending in "Y" unless she was complaining about something.

ADMIN: BOB, your post has nothing to do with beer....it's off topic and demeaning. Please refrain from personal comments.

#402 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

^What were you expecting, Coors Lite?

Nope. When I picked it up from the liquor store I scoured the bottle for the term 'IPA', which it the only type of beer that is completely rejected by my mouth. Since I stupidly didn't realize that the advertized extreme hoppy-ness = IPA, I bought it thinking I was safe. Lesson learned!

#403 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Extreme hoppyness does not mean IPA. IPA is a fermentation method that usually contains lots of hops. That said I am sad that you poured that beer out. I had it and it was one of the best I have had all year... :(

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#404 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

the 111 IBUs was a dead giveaway, but then again that would be even more obscure to the non-beer-geek. & the fact that it's a phillips anniversary beer :\

#405 mik

mik
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

I was lucky enough to take a slow drive to San Fran' and back this past spring. Tasted A LOT of craft beer. That being said... Pandamonium from Phillips and Singularity from Driftwood are the two best beers I've had this year. The IPA's that Half Pints were pouring at the Beer Fest were very impressive as well...and the Saison from Great Lakes!

just mt 2 bits.

#406 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

At beer fest I enjoyed Russell('s?) Lemon Beer. I also drank a lot of IPA's which were good. Apricot Heff was good, although I dont remember the brewery.

Of note "The Three Musketeers" (in french) brewery from Brossard, Que, was TERRIBLE. They should taste the beer before they let it in, it was undrinkable.

#407 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

I didnt bother to note the breweries.. but of the 20 samples I had of various beers there were 3 I had to pour out. Im a big fan of microbrews.. couldnt bring myself to drink anything else, really... but some of the stuff produced is truly foul :)

Had a nice blackberry porter.. and a chestnut ale.. a nice lemon one too.. and then a bunch of standard ipas and porters that were good.

cakes..

#408 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Apricot Heff was good, although I dont remember the brewery.

Okanagan Springs, I believe. Didn't go to Beerfest, but had one in a sampler pack. Tasty, but maybe just a tad too fruity for me.

#409 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

:eek:

In honour of BC Craft Beer Month The Strathcona Hotel is putting eight (8!) casks during the month of October. I forgot to write down the time for these cask nights. Oops.

On to the list:

Oct 2nd – Vancouver Island – Hermannator – Games Room
Oct 4th – Lighthouse – Dry Hopped Switchback – Clubhouse
Oct 9th – Hoyne – Wet Hopped Ale – Games Room
Oct 11th – Driftwood – Wet Hopped Ale (Sartori 2012?) – Games Room
Oct 16th – Phillips – Krypton IPA – Games Room
Oct 18th – Vancouver Island – Stormwatcher – Clubhouse
Oct 23rd – Lighthouse – Uncharted Belgian IPA – Games Room
Oct 25th – Hoyne – Espresso Stout – Clubhouse

Strathcona Cask Series for October

With much fanfare, other than a facebook and twitter blurb, Hoyne brewing is the second Victoria brewery to release a 2012 fresh hopped beer. Moon Under Water was first. Phillips is working on one and I’m sure Driftwood’s Sartori is on the way.

Not to take any steam away from the Hoyners; this “Wolf Vine Wet Hopped Pale Ale” will be available tomorrow in finer CBAW stores and in growlers from the source. No details were mentioned about what hops were used or from where.

Hoyne Brewing Fresh Hop Pale Ale Release

#410 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

is canoe still brewing their summer wheat beer or espresso stout? if they do, it's a flagrant violation of the purity law they proudly claim they follow. the wheat beer has wheat & honey in it, the stout has coffee & possibly unmalted barley in it (which afaik isn't allowed either). & since they also claim to "naturally carbonate" their beers (I guess that means cask- or bottle- condition) I hope they use unfermented wort from the same batch rather than priming sugar or anything else, which also isn't one of the four ingredients. it's actually crystal clear:

Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, markets and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail.

Reinheitsgebot

germans take this pretty seriously but to whoever put that on their website it seems like no more than marketing gimmick (call me crazy)

#411 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

^I guess they would say their "Seasonal Specialties" don't count. Sticking to the purity law is a great way of guaranteeing quality but it does prevent you from offering popular items like wheat beers. You're right, that they should clarify it on the menu.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#412 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

makes perfect sense that they would do this with centennial & cascade hops. if you look at these tables you see that neither type keeps very well, so it's best to use them as soon as possible after picking:
USA Hops

philips made a really good bitter a couple years ago with fresh cascades, but I think it was just a one-off. Looking at that list I wonder if we'll see anyone make a pilsner with fresh Mt Hoods? :rtfm:

Driftwood Sartori Harvest IPA 2012 beer review – Brewed Awakening | The Province

http://www.canadianb...wet-hopped-ale/

#413 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

actually since we already have pilsners here maybe a helles or dortmunder would be even better

#414 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

is canoe still brewing their summer wheat beer or espresso stout? if they do, it's a flagrant violation of the purity law they proudly claim they follow. the wheat beer has wheat & honey in it, the stout has coffee & possibly unmalted barley in it (which afaik isn't allowed either). & since they also claim to "naturally carbonate" their beers (I guess that means cask- or bottle- condition) I hope they use unfermented wort from the same batch rather than priming sugar or anything else, which also isn't one of the four ingredients. it's actually crystal clear:

Reinheitsgebot

germans take this pretty seriously but to whoever put that on their website it seems like no more than marketing gimmick (call me crazy)

Reinheitsgebot is pure marketing. The 1516 statute only limited barley, hop and water. As in malted or unmalted barley. If it's a stout then it has roasted barley in it, which is unmalted.

I do love a good Dortmunder. The mineraliness and the aggressive hop bitterness works in delightfully weird way.

Also, did not like Sartori this year. Last year was a revelation.
http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#415 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

At beer fest I enjoyed Russell('s?) Lemon Beer. I also drank a lot of IPA's which were good. Apricot Heff was good, although I dont remember the brewery.

Of note "The Three Musketeers" (in french) brewery from Brossard, Que, was TERRIBLE. They should taste the beer before they let it in, it was undrinkable.

They were one of the better breweries.

Their latest baltic poter was top notch.
http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#416 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Reinheitsgebot is pure marketing. The 1516 statute only limited barley, hop and water. As in malted or unmalted barley.

nope, unmalted isn't allowed either. it took about 10 seconds to find out:
https://www.google.c... reinheitsgebot

#417 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Voltage Espresso Stout from Hoyne Brewing

#418 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

This is a beer I am looking forward to! Any idea how we can find out when and where these will be available? I always am too late for these specialty, one off beers. They sell out fast in this town.

#419 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

^ it's been out for a while now, & still available I think

http://vimeo.com/51777725

#420 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

this amber ale was pretty tasty... for a homebrew :P seemed pretty similar to a pale ale maybe with some toasty flavours, but whatever it turned out pretty well

Super Release! | Phillips Beer

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users