Photo

Times Colonist

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

Poll: The Times Colonist: Will it survive? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

The Times Colonist: Will it survive?

1. Yes - The TC will always be here as a daily paper (17 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. Yes - but not a daily (26 votes [32.10%])

Percentage of vote: 32.10%

3. Yes - but Internet only (13 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

4. No - it is no longer viable (25 votes [30.86%])

Percentage of vote: 30.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#601 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Christ, Holden.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#602 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Christ Olsen would just turn the other cheek. Nobody needs to worry about firing him.

#603 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

Today is an example of what's wrong with the TC. They have been off for two days, yet today's business section has zero local stories, just wire stories.

Lots of local sports, but most of it is from Saturday (Highlanders) or Sunday. Very old news.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#604 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Another gem:

Police say the three from Qualicum Beach were unfamiliar with the river and entered the water with their inflatables above the falls at Stamp River Provincial Park.

The dead man has been identified as Cory Donald Heinz, 22.

Each tuber unexpectedly went over the dangerous falls and was unable to remain on their float,” said Port Alberni RCMP spokeswoman Cpl. Jen Allan.

RCMP issued a warning in late June about the river after a tubing mishap in which a woman almost died when she was pinned under a log.

About 4 p.m., Port Alberni RCMP received a call from a woman on the banks of the Stamp River, saying she had just seen a body floating down the river in an area known as Money’s Pool, Allan said.

Money's Pool is over 7 river km upstream of the falls. How did that happen?

#605 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Unusual choice of page layout on page 4 of todays TC.

Story titled "Man behind machete attack sentenced to four years"

...and directly below it, "Human leg found under Vancouver bridge"

#606 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

TC workers are voting on a new contract this week. They had been without a contract for over a year.

The Joint Council and Company agreed on a four year contract which will expire on January 2, 2015.

There were no concessions.

Term:

2011 0%
2012 0%
December 1, 2012 $250.00 signing bonus
January 2 2013 1%
January 2, 2014 1.5%

http://vving.ca/

So a 5-years experience reporter will earn $82,300 in the last year of the contract. Most clerical positions will pay $45k-$50k per year. I think that compared to general inflation over the last 20 years, TC salaries are down by about 20-30%.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#607 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

TC workers are voting on a new contract this week. They had been without a contract for over a year.

Victoria Vancouver Island Newspaper Guild – Local 30223

So a 5-years experience reporter will earn $82,300 in the last year of the contract. Most clerical positions will pay $45k-$50k per year. I think that compared to general inflation over the last 20 years, TC salaries are down by about 20-30%.

Compared to a the position a lot of local employees find themselves in right now those terms are generous. Add to that the fact that the newspaper industry as a whole is in the tank.

#608 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Last week they stooped to publish a letter-to-the-editor from one of those chemtrail nutbar conspiracy theorists. It wasn't even local content, it was a reprint from some community rag in Maple Ridge.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#609 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

What iis the chance of this happening?
This was in Tuesdays paper

#610 saanichrealestate

saanichrealestate
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

One would think that the editor would connect the two people...

#611 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Maybe one of VV's members should play Good Samaritan and get in contact with these two people... ;)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#612 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

As someone on the I (heart symbol) Downtown Victoria's facebook page said, it restores faith in humanity - until you realize the folks at the TC office decided not to make the calls and instead charge these people for placing the ad.

(I'm assuming there's a cost for the ad)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#613 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

There is a cost for LOST ads, none for FOUND.

#614 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Currently there is a title on the TC homepage which implies Halloween happened last night. Lovely.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#615 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

"Capital region revellers keep police busy Saturday before Halloween"

I'm not an expert on grammar or the shortened way or writing newspaper headlines, but this seems fine to me.

#616 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

They must have updated it because it read "Halloween Night" when I looked earlier.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#617 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Yes. It said "...kept police busy on Halloween Night". They've corrected it.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#618 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

HEADLINE:

Victim's blood linked to accused's shoe in 2012 Fernwood murder

Now, the remainder of the article talks about a 2010 murder, but never mentions the area (Fernwood?) or street name, or any other indicator of the location.

Leslie Hankel's DNA was found on the top of a Nike running shoe worn by Samuel Mcgrath during a break, enter and robbery in the early morning of March 3, 2010, an RCMP forensic scientist testified Thursday in B.C. Supreme Court.

Tony Brown, a scientist who works at the RCMP forensic lab in Vancouver, gave expert evidence on forensic DNA analysis at the second-degree murder trial of Mcgrath and Andrew Belcourt. The accused have pleaded guilty to robbery with a firearm and breaking into Hankel's apartment. The jury must decide whether they are also guilty of murdering the 52-year-old Victoria man.

Read more: Victim's blood linked to accused's shoe in 2012 Fernwood murder

#619 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

The TC online has a front page article claiming that Victoria's job picture has brightened by adding 1,400 jobs since September. Bruce Carter then goes on to claim that the local economy has been steadily improving.

Checking the exact same source that Duffy references in his article (below), it is plainly stated that Victoria shed 300 jobs last month and that the number of people employed has dropped every month for the past 6 months.

I find that this is happening more and more often with the TC. Are staff too overworked to actually check data that they print or are advertisors simply demanding that stories be presented a certain way?

It drives me nuts that you can't even rely on the local media to publish the truth any more.

Labour Force Statistics - BC Stats. Check page 16 for Victoria data.

#620 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Indeed I can see how year-over-year has improved, but yes, we have 6 straight months of job losses there and I have no idea where they can come up with the 1400 new jobs figure.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users