Photo

Times Colonist

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

Poll: The Times Colonist: Will it survive? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

The Times Colonist: Will it survive?

1. Yes - The TC will always be here as a daily paper (17 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. Yes - but not a daily (26 votes [32.10%])

Percentage of vote: 32.10%

3. Yes - but Internet only (13 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

4. No - it is no longer viable (25 votes [30.86%])

Percentage of vote: 30.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#581 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

^Sorry, I don't see the problem. Enlighten us?

I think his point is that that particular sentence is stating the obvious.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#582 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

I think the sentence mostly tells us that the husband was there at the time, that's all. People might wonder if there was a spouse, other family at home etc.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#583 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

I think his point is that that particular sentence is stating the obvious.

Well, that's what reporting is. You go there and report what you see. A man can react in any number of ways upon learning of his wife's death.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#584 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

Well, that's what reporting is. You go there and report what you see. A man can react in any number of ways upon learning of his wife's death.

I believe the attending physician later describes George Costsnza's reaction to his fiancées death at the hand of cheap wedding envelopes as "restrained jubilation."

#585 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

http://www.timescolo...6733/story.html

Andrew Offord, left, and Dennis Atkinson demonstrate one of their newly invented milk spouts.

Originally from the U.K., Offord, 44, ...

As a jeweler, Atkinson, 60, ...

Who says they have this the wrong way around?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#586 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

I think a main issue is that even with a web presence the Times Colonist still does not report on issues until days after they have occurred. Nothing like seeing something on the news, and then finally reading about two days later.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#587 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,426 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

It's no secret the media of this city skim off each other for stories. Of the main media in town you'll find CFAX leads, followed by CTV, followed by Chek, and finally followed by the TC. I find that Vic News/Black Press cover the bases very well even though their papers come around only twice a week.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#588 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

It's no secret the media of this city skim off each other for stories. Of the main media in town you'll find CFAX leads, followed by CTV, followed by Chek, and finally followed by the TC. I find that Vic News/Black Press cover the bases very well even though their papers come around only twice a week.

CFAX leads with what?

They lead off their 5am news with everything they read in the TC. Then as the morning goes on, they find the time to get some of their own stories off the wire or from local press releases.

#589 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

I thought they all got their ideas from VV

#590 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

I think a main issue is that even with a web presence the Times Colonist still does not report on issues until days after they have occurred. Nothing like seeing something on the news, and then finally reading about two days later.

It has ever been thus; when I was living in Vancouver 20+ years ago it was very common to read a story in the Vancouver Sun in the BUSINESS or INTERNATIONAL sections especially, then come to Victoria to visit family a week (sometimes more) later only to read the same article in the T-C. It was kind of like living in a time warp, which of course is precisely how my Vancouver friends did and still do generally view the island....

#591 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have always thought that the T-C motto is "Yesterday's news tomorrow."

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#592 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

I have always thought that the T-C motto is "Yesterday's news tomorrow."

LOVE it! :P

#593 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

http://www.timescolo...6733/story.html

Andrew Offord, left, and Dennis Atkinson demonstrate one of their newly invented milk spouts.

Who says they have this the wrong way around?

I win the bet. Dennis is on the left according to a person that works with him at the airpoirt.

#594 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Today:

http://www.timescolo...9802/story.html

...The issue over a woman banned from visiting her son in the hospital should be resolved quickly and calmly for the good of all concerned.

Shirley General Hospital on May 17 after she tapped a nurse on Spence, 73, was banned from Victoria the head to get her attention...

:badpc:

#595 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,426 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

D'oh.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#596 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

The TC is running CFAX radio ads, urging people to subscribe to the physical print edition of the TC, saying you might like "the feel of paper in your hands", getting the comics and inserts, and calling it the "original generation" and informing you that if you buy it, you also get the "next generation" online access too.

#597 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

http://www.timescolo...5939/story.html

Clark fired former CTV journalist Christ Olsen in February, replacing him with MacIntyre.

:rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#598 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

^I would never fire someone that could turn water into wine.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#599 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

^ :)

#600 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

^I would never fire someone that could turn water into wine.

Epic

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users