Photo

Recommend a restaurant - anniversary dinner for two.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

if you going to be in Royal Oak, skip the Med Grill and head across the street and up a bit to Rosie's Bistro. it's in that little strip mall next to the Petro Can. don't let it's non-flashy outside appearance fool you- this place is great. be sure to call ahead for reservations, it fills up quick some nights. one of the best kept secrets for quality, fresh food in that area.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

if you going to be in Royal Oak, skip the Med Grill and head across the street and up a bit to Rosie's Bistro. it's in that little strip mall next to the Petro Can. don't let it's non-flashy outside appearance fool you- this place is great. be sure to call ahead for reservations, it fills up quick some nights. one of the best kept secrets for quality, fresh food in that area.

Ya, Rosie's is great. But not large, timing will be key for a large group.

#43 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

Romeo's Broadmead?

As a fellow member of the hospitality industry, I am disgusted with you for recommending Romeo's.

There are some decent restaurants in Sidney that you might consider.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

As a fellow member of the hospitality industry, I am disgusted with you for recommending Romeo's.

There are some decent restaurants in Sidney that you might consider.

I know, but we are talking limited stuff in the geography. They don't want to go north, after they leave the Gardens, they want to eat relatively close then all go their own ways home.

#45 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

I know, but we are talking limited stuff in the geography. They don't want to go north, after they leave the Gardens, they want to eat relatively close then all go their own ways home.

HAHA, I know - I just hate what they do to food. There are some restaurants in Brentwood/Saanichton - what about the Blue Coyote or something to that effect near the ferry to Mill Bay?

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

HAHA, I know - I just hate what they do to food. There are some restaurants in Brentwood/Saanichton - what about the Blue Coyote or something to that effect near the ferry to Mill Bay?

Pretty sure Bleue Coyote is 19+.

#47 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Pretty sure Bleue Coyote is 19+.

I think I may have meant Bleue Bayou. In any rate, here's a list of restaurants in Brentwood: http://www.tripadvis...h_Columbia.html

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

I think I may have meant Bleue Bayou. In any rate, here's a list of restaurants in Brentwood: http://www.tripadvis...h_Columbia.html

Blues Bayou, more expensive than Fireside.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

Hm, Bleue Coyote is indeed over 19. And Sunday night is NFL football so that's out. I'll go another time. I'd love to try Sidney but yeah, it's too far.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

Never been there, but what about The Olive Grove?

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

There is Becklens in Cordova Bay.

http://www.beklens.ca/

#52 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

For the mix of ages, number of people and price limitations why not go to the White Spot at Mr. Newton X Rd?

It has a fairly decent menu for all ages at a resonable cost and is close to Butcharts.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#53 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

How about the new Roadhouse Bar & Grill on West Saanich, near the Prospect Lake intersection? You can always drive back to Victoria that way from Butchart, just head down Wallace and there you are.

Actually, there's a little cafe on that corner which gets rave reviews, too, but I forget the name of it.....

Have fun, the lights are quite nice, bring your scarf and mittens!

#54 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:32 AM

Olive Grove is nice, competent Mediterranean food - appears to be family owned, has friendly thorough service. Not a huge place, so you might not get a big party in during the rush. Nothing earth-shattering like La Piloa, but satisfying nonetheless.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

How about the new Roadhouse Bar & Grill on West Saanich, near the Prospect Lake intersection? You can always drive back to Victoria that way from Butchart, just head down Wallace and there you are.

Actually, there's a little cafe on that corner which gets rave reviews, too, but I forget the name of it.....

Have fun, the lights are quite nice, bring your scarf and mittens!

...that's a good idea, that place gets pretty good reviews.

#56 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Every time I drive by there it's closed. I keep thinking it's gone out of business.

#57 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

The Wild Saffron next to Swans. The prices aren't outrageous, the food is fantastic, it isn't usually too busy, the wine selection is marvelous. You can pick a table by the fire, or comfy couches, or a more traditional table seat. The menu includes both cheese and chocolate fondues for two which are a lovely.
Here's a link You can access the menus from there.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

Blues Bayou, Blue Coyote were mentioned but we ended up going to Mary's Blue Moon Cafe!

(No wonder the Times Colonist mistakenly called the Blue Coast in Oak Bay the Blue Moon. And what about the Blue Carrot?)

So, yes there was a little backtracking involved as the cafe is right next to the airport but in everyone's opinion it was worth the drive. They were able to seat our large party and the food and service were quite good. Portions were generous and the entrees averaged around $11.

They also had a larger-than-average selection of beers on tap which is always a plus.

If you ask why we simply didn't eat at the Butchart Gardens dining room, plates there average around $31.

I'm interested in trying the Olive Grove one day. I haven't had Greek food since Periklis closed.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#59 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Every time I drive by there it's closed. I keep thinking it's gone out of business.

If that's true, you just made my Christmas...

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Looking for someplace to eat in the Gordon Head area. Any recommendations

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users