Photo

Recommend a restaurant - anniversary dinner for two.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

^ I like Rathskeller too.
Although, I just heard from one of their employees that Rathskeller's "draft" beer is actually beer from a can. Makes me wonder what other fraudulent claims they're making about what they serve.

#22 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

My husband ate once at Rathskeller, he hated it. From what he said, the beer isn't the only thing from a can.

I distrust any place that tries to give itself "authentic" airs by adding an "olde" H to a word that in the modern language no longer has it (it's Ratskeller - Rat, meaning "counsel" - in the 18th and 19th century it might have been spelled "Rath," but when I see stuff like that, it sets off the kitsch alarm bells, sort of like "olde Englande"...). Just thought I'd throw that in. (We criticize the olde English stuff, I don't see why olde German should get a pass.)

Oh by the way, Bernard wrote a blog post ripping this place to shreds. It sounded like he had every reason to.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#23 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

I don't care if the food is scary, it is comfort food in a weird way. And I love the kitch. You just have to be into the experience for the experience's sake. Sometimes over the top is fun.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#24 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

Oh by the way, Bernard wrote a blog post ripping this place to shreds. It sounded like he had every reason to.

Well, I'm not going to dispute Herr von Schulmann's taste in German food. I do recall that my last meal at the Rathskeller a few months ago was not as good as ones I'd had before, so perhaps it's slipped.

Looking over Bernard's blog, it seems he didn't much like any of the places he's dined at except for Café Mexico, which takes a back seat to Adriana's Cocina Mexicana in my books. Are there any other places in the centre of town, aside from pubs, where one can get a good meal for less than $20?

#25 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

Not exactly the centre but not vey far either, Jade Fountain delivers excellent taste and value.

#26 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

I always enjoy Il Terrazzo (Italian), but this year I'm trying Matisse (French) thanks to several great recommendations from friends.. I hear the service, attention to detail as well as the food is excellent. Enjoy wherever you go!

#27 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

I know you mentioned he does not like fish - but they had the best lamb last time I was there. Oysters rockefeller are to die for.

Pescatore's Fish House and Grill - 614 Humboldt - 385-4512

#28 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

The Empresss ;)

I enjoy it but I'm a senior.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

I know you mentioned he does not like fish - but they had the best lamb last time I was there. Oysters rockefeller are to die for.

Pescatore's Fish House and Grill - 614 Humboldt - 385-4512

Pescatore's also gets my vote.

#30 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

I really need to try Pescatore's - never been, but you ppl keep giving it the thumbs up. However, as an early adopter of the economic downturn, I've found my dining out options somewhat constrained...

I did eat at The Empress a couple of years ago, and was surprised at how good it was (I guess I thought "big hotel kitchen = generic food," which was completely wrong: it was excellent). But it's really expensive.

Which again brings up Jacques Cade's question:

Are there any other places in the centre of town, aside from pubs, where one can get a good meal for less than $20?

I can't think of anything for dinner, really. Love Zambri's, and for lunch that's definitely well under $20. But as soon as you hit the dinner menu, the prices go up.

For an anniversary dinner you're already willing to look at a higher bracket, though...

We (family) have gone to The Blue Crab (James Bay) in the past - had some good dinners there, but the atmosphere is stiff-ish. And I don't mean Empress stiff, because at the Empress you sort of expect it - the whole dining room is so over-the-top baronial and feudal, it's almost like being part of a timewarp or a play. I mean subdued in a kind of funeral parlor way.

Too bad Sanuk is closed. I liked their food a lot.

Second the recommendations for The Superior, which has a nice decor, too.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Good dinner under 20 in centre of town? 20 a person or total?

If per person than I will recommend Adriana's Cocina on Amelia. Most entrees 12 to 16 throw in a mexican beer and your at 20 bucks.

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Not exactly the centre but not vey far either, Jade Fountain delivers excellent taste and value.

I would caution bringing your wife on her anniversary to a restaurant that has a strip club in the same building. If one of the restaurant staff says "hey guy--don't see you on this side of The Red Lion that often!" don't say I didn't warn you.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#33 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Yes Ms B, you really need to try Pescatore's - entrees are over $20, but for my money if you can fork out $120+ for an incredible dinner for 2 (with a cheaper bottle of wine), nothing beats it locally.

For Savannah's anniversary - it's too bad the weather is not warmer. I would suggest putting together a really good picnic hamper, grab a decent bottle of champers or (and?) 'plonk', a large blanket, and (screw the outdoor drinking laws) do a picnic.

#34 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

I would caution bringing your wife on her anniversary to a restaurant that has a strip club in the same building. If one of the restaurant staff says "hey guy--don't see you on this side of The Red Lion that often!" don't say I didn't warn you.

But it would show his wife that he still has a pulse! It might warm him up for the main event, post-dinner.;)
Seriously though, you can go to JF without ever realizing there's a strip joint next door. And the JF staff are Chinese, mainly women and don't really speak to diners.

#35 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

has anyone here been to Niche in James Bay? I went just over a year ago and loved it.

My last night out for food was to Aura at the Laurel Point Inn (now called the Inn at Laurel Point). My wife and I only had appetizers and a couple of cocktails and we loved it all.

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

Well, I'm not going to dispute Herr von Schulmann's taste in German food. I do recall that my last meal at the Rathskeller a few months ago was not as good as ones I'd had before, so perhaps it's slipped.

Looking over Bernard's blog, it seems he didn't much like any of the places he's dined at except for Café Mexico, which takes a back seat to Adriana's Cocina Mexicana in my books. Are there any other places in the centre of town, aside from pubs, where one can get a good meal for less than $20?

I was hoping to get something at the Rathskeller as good as your basic bland run of the mill restaurant food I would have found in Prague in 1991 when Jacques Cade worked there editing the Post. Well done stodgy pork covered with sauce and a side of dumplings and sauerkraut.

I will admit I am picky on what I expect from food in a restaurant and I have had some awful luck of late. Fundamentally I expect to get a better meal in a restaurant than I could do at home. I have four kids and a busy schedule but can still cook something decent to eat. If a restaurant can not do better than a busy father on a school night, then they really should not be in business.

Maybe my standards are simply too high, though I have yet to find anywhere in town that can do BBQ even partially as good as I can do at home.

I have been meaning to go to Adriana's again, which is good, but life has gotten in the way.

Vista 18 is a place I like, though pricey but worth the money for the food, view and money.

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

My last night out for food was to Aura at the Laurel Point Inn (now called the Inn at Laurel Point). My wife and I only had appetizers and a couple of cocktails and we loved it all.

Coincidentally (unless hotdoglegz is Pam Grant) Aura was reviewed today in the TC: four and a half stars.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

Here's our dilemma:

The whole family, grandfolks and all, will be dining out after seeing the Butchart Gardens Christmas display.

Med Grill on Royal Oak Dr. is booked up before 7:30. The Fireside Grill across the street is too pricey for everyone.

The shortlist is down to White Spot and God help me, Smitty's.

You can understand my desperation. Please give me names of reasonable family restaurants in the Brentwood/Royal Oak area.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

Romeo's Broadmead?

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

^That's not a bad idea.

One of the drawbacks to family dining is most everyone has to be in bed by nine... :/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users