Photo

Recommend a restaurant - anniversary dinner for two.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Looking for someplace to eat in the Gordon Head area. Any recommendations

Naughty Nellies for fish and chips.

Tropical Island for asian food.

#62 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

Haven't been to Tropical Island yet--Mrs. West wasn't in the mood for Asian. Naughty Nellies is a good reliable place but we were in the mood for something different. We ended up heading into Royal Oak thinking if Med Grill was busy we'd go across the street to Rosi's Tuscan Grill, which is where we ended up.

It looks like an ordinary strip mall Italian joint from the outside but it's surprisingly upscale. We thought the service and food were decent. It's not cheap but I'd say it's a reasonable value.

To get the thread back on track I'd recommend Rosi's for an anniversary dinner, especially for those on the Peninsula not wanting to make the trip into town.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#63 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

The Wild Saffron next to Swans. The prices aren't outrageous, the food is fantastic, it isn't usually too busy, the wine selection is marvelous. You can pick a table by the fire, or comfy couches, or a more traditional table seat. The menu includes both cheese and chocolate fondues for two which are a lovely.
Here's a link You can access the menus from there.

Mrs. Fugger and I went to Wild Saffron last night as part of Dine Around, and I have to say it was one of the most frustrating dining experiences I've had in a long, long time. We actually tried going there Wednesday evening, but we needed reservations. Now, it was nearing 7PM and the house was about 1/4 full. I certainly hope all of those covers showed up. Based on last night, where 1/2 the restaurant was empty, I doubt they did.

So we had the $30 Dine Around table d'hote. As mentioned, it was about 1/2 full. Mrs. F ordered an Arctic Ale - which we were informed that they were out of: odd, since they serve Swan's beer, which is the brewpub in the same building. How is a brewpub ever out of its lightest offering?

Anyways, it was all downhill from there. The first course was decent enough, although I expected something altogether different when I ordered the duck confit - it was more like mashed or pulled duck. My wife's boulliabase was tasty, though.

Then came the infuriating part - the next course came about 45 minutes later. Again, it was a 1/2 full house - I don't see how this place could cope with a full house. They also have this TV screen that shows what the chef's are up to. I think the server must have sensed the amount of time passed, and informed me that they were very busy in the kitchen. BS! It looked like they were going about 1/2 speed.

Well, what we got was not worth the wait. My nut-crusted venison was sprinkled with a couple of nuts, not crusted. As well, I have no idea what the chef was attempting to acheive with the weird mix of vegetables and fruits on the plate, and the spätzle was bland. My wife's ahi tuna was good, but the salmon risotto was also bland, with a hint of fishiness at the finish.

Dessert was the best course; however, it took them about 20 minutes to make it (thanks to the TV screen, I could see that the chefs were busy cleaning the oven, rather than working throught the avalance of bills they eventually pulled off the printer). Then they sat on the pass for an additional 15 minutes. The busser/hostess was hovering over it, having a drink. The waiter was about to serve another table, but walked over, I assume after seeing the desserts sitting there. The two then proceeded to have a 5 minute conversation, resulting in the waiter walking away empty-handed! ARGH!!

When the bill came, I did something I have not done in at least a decade - I flat out stiffed the server: not even a nickel. Under tip, I wrote $0.00. Being in the industry, such a throw of the gauntlet is not something I do on a whim. But it was well deserved. They also had the gaul to put a comment card with the bill - needless to say, I needed both sides.

I think for restaurants that participate in Dine Around, it's a great opportunity to reach out to new clients. I went in there because I heard good things about the ambiance and the food. Not only will I never return, it has prompted me to go out of my way to tell people how $hitty an experience I had there.

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

^ Do you think the server turned in the comment card?

#65 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Your timing sucked Bob, they are just changing chefs. I am sorry you had a crappy experience. Hopefully the new chef gets it together, but I'll be waiting to find out where the old chef went to, and following him there.

If I was to recommend a place right now for a romantic dinner, I would go with Stages.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#66 Sara

Sara
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

My sister and her husband have been there on two occasions. Both times were a disaster. Slow service and below average food. The only reason they went the second time was it was a Christmas staff dinner. Not only was the service slow AGAIN but 5 out the 12 got food poisoning.

#67 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Anyone ever been to the restaurant in the Traveller's Inn City Centre (or whatever it's called now. The one with the pool beside White Spot) at 1961 Douglas.

Mrs. West's grandfolks are taking everyone to Easter Dinner. They called it the Imperial and I'm starting to suspect they haven't eaten there in some time. When I think of fine dining, Traveller's Inn isn't the first thing that comes to mind. I just want to know what I'm getting in to.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#68 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

Anyone ever been to the restaurant in the Traveller's Inn City Centre (or whatever it's called now. The one with the pool beside White Spot) at 1961 Douglas.

Mrs. West's grandfolks are taking everyone to Easter Dinner. They called it the Imperial and I'm starting to suspect they haven't eaten there in some time. When I think of fine dining, Traveller's Inn isn't the first thing that comes to mind. I just want to know what I'm getting in to.

I've been to "catered affairs" *ahem* hosted in their meeting rooms. If is the same kitchen, the food as I recall was uninspired, pre-packaged North Douglas crap.

#69 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

^BTW, the food and service were surprisingly good! The "restaurant" is a small banquet room off the swimming pool. The Easter special was turkey dinner--small portion but tasty and presented in an artful manner. Despite the fact that the only other guests were a couple of employees on breaks (the action was over in the bar next to the lobby) we had a good time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users