Photo

Municipal Property Taxes

• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

#201 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

I just received notice from my mortgage holder that the property tax portion of my payments will be going down. This will reduce my annual taxes by $168.  :thumbsup:

• sebberry likes this

#202 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

^for now.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#203 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

I just received notice from my mortgage holder that the property tax portion of my payments will be going down. This will reduce my annual taxes by $168.  :thumbsup:

^for now.

I'll take what I can get, while I can get it.  :rtfm:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#204 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

Ha! I will be the only one to TRULY get your joke!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#205 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Anyone else get their post dated tax payment cashed early?

Bit of a bummer when your bank covers the funds from your checking account when you are out of the country.

Nothing like going to the ATM and getting no for an answer.

If you ever read your bank agreement, you actually can't post date a cheque.  I learned a lot about how banks operate internally when I sued two of Canada's largest banks recently.  You should have signed your cheque to the municipality with "Mickey Mouse" because it would go thru, I have it confirmed under oath it will.  What I learned overall was shocking

#206 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

^ I called the city manager's listed phone number to see who would square up with me for the bank charges. Got voice mail 3 times. Left voice mail 3 times. I should have made the cheque out to Mickey Mouse.

No response.

#207 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

We had a property manager once set up online bill payments for strata fees.  It was great. 

Then we moved to another one where this service wasn't provided, so everyone had to go back to writing post-dated cheques, or give pre-authorized debit access.  No thanks.  I ended up using Interac e-Transfers. 

Then the next management company didn't even accept e-Transfer but I managed to convince them to change their tune, at least for me.  One of our previous property managers helped themselves to several hundred dollars from an owners bank account to cover some damage without going through the proper procedures.  I've personally had post-dated cheques cashed early for something not property management related.

So now nobody has access to my bank account and I only pay things like the property tax online.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#208 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:54 AM

If you ever read your bank agreement, you actually can't post date a cheque.  

I could not find what you are suggesting in the Scotiabank Agreement. In fact on page 43 there is language regarding the bank not being responsible for the accuracy of a payment date on 'post dated" payments.

"You acknowledge that third parties may not treat payments as being received as of the date the instructions are given (or on the later date in the case of post-dated payments)."

http://www.scotiaban...vices/10970.pdf

#209 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

I had a quick look and CIBC and BMO will accept post-dated cheques but will charge a $3 clearing fee. TD recommends you don't do it because due to the high volume and nature of processing they can't guarantee it won't be cashed prematurely. It seems like one of those areas where what their legal agreement says and what they do in practice are two different things. 

#210 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

I could not find what you are suggesting in the Scotiabank Agreement. In fact on page 43 there is language regarding the bank not being responsible for the accuracy of a payment date on 'post dated" payments.

"You acknowledge that third parties may not treat payments as being received as of the date the instructions are given (or on the later date in the case of post-dated payments)."

http://www.scotiaban...vices/10970.pdf

I didn't read it cover to cover, but I didn't see it either with a quick scan

I just remember reading it in my lawsuit and we entered every banking agreement from the 6 largest banks as evidence.  Granted that was 10 years ago so the agreement could have changed

#211 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

I hold post dated cheques and deposit them when the date comes up, on the 1st each month. Simple...

#212 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:15 PM

I receive 12 post dated cheques every year from a client. I give them all to my bank at once. They deposit them each month on the first and charge me a small fee for doing so. Simple...
  • lanforod likes this

#213 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

Yeah I'm too cheap for that lol. Plus, the whole point of this discussion is that the banks %$&^ it up sometimes.

• Sparky likes this

#214 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:57 AM

How convenient.  The Victoria.ca website is not responding.  I'd like to pay my property taxes, please!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,176 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

Yes, it’s been down for quite a while.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#216 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

Presumably my mortgage holder (who pays the property taxes on my behalf) won't have any issues. I made my application to the CoV for my HOG a few weeks ago, so at least that is done.

Edited by Nparker, 30 June 2019 - 09:35 AM.

#217 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

It's back up and running.  Grant claimed and tax paid.  There's $1400 I'll never get any value from.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#218 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:44 AM

It's back up and running.  Grant claimed and tax paid.  There's $1400 I'll never get any value from.

I take it that was the school tax portion of your total?

#219 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:38 PM

How convenient. The Victoria.ca website is not responding. I'd like to pay my property taxes, please!

Why didn’t you wait until the last minute?
  • sebberry and GaryRanson like this

#220 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

My taxes have gone up about $800 the past couple of years :(

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users