Photo

CTV - local, BC and national TV

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#241 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 04:20 PM

Short answer is he can't and didn't: that went all the way to the CEO's (Karine Moses') office, guaranteed.

Moses isn't the CEO, she's a VP.

However, it's been reported that the move, although initiated by Melling, was approved by Moses along with Wade Oosterman, the president of Bell Media and Bell Canada CEO Mirko Bibic.

Edited by vortoozo, 26 August 2022 - 04:21 PM.

#242 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 07:12 PM

Moses isn't the CEO, she's a VP.

However, it's been reported that the move, although initiated by Melling, was approved by Moses along with Wade Oosterman, the president of Bell Media and Bell Canada CEO Mirko Bibic.

Right, I can never keep my VP's and CEO's straight....

But to my point a decision of this magnitude rarely stays at the level of an operational (VP) exec - it almost always goes up the flagpole to the very top at the senior executive level. Regardless, whoever ultimately green-lighted this decision is probably in for a very nasty roasting at the hands of the BCE board, assuming of course (s)he even manages at all to keep his or her job.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 26 August 2022 - 07:12 PM.

#243 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 07:18 PM

It appears that Melling will take the fall. The rest of the newsroom staff are making sure of it.

CTV executive Michael Melling taking a leave after Lisa LaFlamme’s dismissal - The Globe and Mail

Later Friday evening, Bell Canada CEO Mirko Bibic put out a statement saying that Mr. Melling “is on leave effective immediately, pending the outcome of the workplace review that is proceeding.”

Richard Gray, who is the regional general manager for the Eastern Region, will become the acting vice-president of news.

On Monday, journalists within the CTV newsroom, through human rights lawyer Paul Champ, sent a letter to Mr. Bibic, Bell’s board of directors and Wade Oosterman, the president of Bell Media, expressing a lack of confidence in Mr. Melling’s leadership.

A copy of this letter was obtained by The Globe.

In a cover note from Mr. Champ, the lawyer says that he was acting for “a large number of CTV News journalists who have serious concerns about the recent dismissal of Chief Anchor Lisa LaFlamme and the toxic work culture that has developed at CTV over the past eight months.”

Mr. Champ wrote that these journalists had concerns about “denigrating comments and adverse treatment in the workplace, with intimidation and reprisal being a common response to any who question the decision-making or processes of the new Vice-President of CTV News.” Because of the deteriorating workplace culture and fear of reprisal, the letter writers have chosen to remain anonymous, it continued. The letter is signed “Members of the CTV News family.”

#244 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 07:23 PM

This story was covered for the first time last night on CTV's 11pm newscast. Until they, they had only made vague mention of Lisa leaving and Omar taking over. Last night, pointing to the Wendy's and Dove brand's support of Lisa, they covered the whole story including Lisa's goodbye video.

A good little test, no doubt, from the newsroom staff to see how editorially independent they truly can be while making a statement to Bell.

Well done.

#245 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,318 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 03:47 AM

Canadaland:

Richard Gray, regional manager of the eastern region will take on Melling’s role as acting vice president of news.

On Wednesday night, a source at CTV News tells Canadaland that the National News team was instructed to send a news script to Gray, an executive they had no prior experience with.

The piece, by reporter Heather Wright, concerned the ongoing fallout from the LaFlamme controversy, with consumer brands like Dove capitalizing on the incident to publicly support LaFlamme in their marketing campaigns.

According to two CTV sources, the piece was “gutted” by Gray, who ordered changes to the reporting, including, according to one source, the removal of Lisa LaFlamme’s Twitter video, in which she announced her exit from CTV.

The CTV National News team was so upset with the resulting piece that they did not air it.

On Thursday, they returned to the story, and this time did not submit it to Richard Gray. It aired unadulterated.

#246 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 07:38 PM

^I was pretty surprised at that article airing, I thought "oh good for them, they are finally going to comment on it with some substance."

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#247 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 07:40 PM

I guess Sandie Rinaldo can feel pretty secure now, doing the weekend news.

#248 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 09:36 AM

Globe and Mail, two page open letter:

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.08.28-13_35_14.png

via:  https://twitter.com/cathmckenna

#249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 09:46 AM

I didn’t know we had “trust” in news anchors that was a special kind of trust.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 09:57 AM

screenshot-vibrantvictoria.ca-2022.08.28-13_57_17.png

^ That's likely jumping to conclusions a bit.

Having said that, take a look at CNN (Erin Burnett, Robin Meade) or Fox (Emily Compagno, Ainsley Earhardt).  Somebody has likely decided that younger and prettier is a good business model.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2022 - 10:01 AM.

#251 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 12:16 PM

If Lisa LaFlamme is so great, she will surely be hired right away by another news organization.
  • spanky123, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#252 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 01:17 PM

I didn’t know we had “trust” in news anchors that was a special kind of trust.

Agreed. The anchors read whatever pablum their corporate owners want to feed to the public. There were times that I wondered how someone like Lisa, who presumably had a degree of integrity, could read what was on her teleprompter knowing that it was complete BS.

#253 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 01:19 PM

^ That's likely jumping to conclusions a bit.

Having said that, take a look at CNN (Erin Burnett, Robin Meade) or Fox (Emily Compagno, Ainsley Earhardt).  Somebody has likely decided that younger and prettier is a good business model.

If you look at the popular 'talk' formats like the View, The Social, etc you will find that attractive middle aged white woman has been replaced with women of all shapes, colours and sizes to better represent the demographic advertisers are selling to. 

#254 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

The Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) said it has concerns about journalistic freedom at CTV National News, the Bell-owned network's nightly newscast that has been the focus of scrutiny following the departure of chief anchor Lisa LaFlamme.

A TV story about Dove's "Keep the Grey" campaign that was scheduled to air on Wednesday didn't run because management ordered the removal of images or video of LaFlamme, according to three CTV sources who spoke to CBC News on the condition they not be named because they weren't authorized to discuss the issue publicly.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...t-ctv-1.6564313

A bit laughable in that they see no issue with almost every news outlet taking government money.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2022 - 02:31 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#255 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,399 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 02:32 PM

...A bit laughable in that they see no issue with almost every news outlet taking government money.

And regurgitating government press releases as "journalism".

#256 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 August 2022 - 07:31 PM

I’d never heard or known who she was until she was fired. Am I the only one?

#257 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 07:35 PM

Yes

#258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 08:31 PM

I’d never heard or known who she was until she was fired. Am I the only one?

I’m guessing we’re more or less the same age, and the cable cutting generation?

I knew of her name, but if quizzed would not have been able to say she worked for CTV.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#259 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 09:02 PM

Last time I watched ctv news it was Lloyd Robertson.

Edited by Matt R., 28 August 2022 - 09:02 PM.

#260 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 09:03 PM

Me toooo!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users