BUILT
Era
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 726-746 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Condo units: (loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 15-storey Era condo and ground floor commercial tower is located in the 700-block of Yates Street. The pro... (view full profile)
Learn more about Era on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Era | Condos | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2015

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1299 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

And I am doubting the veracity of it. I think they may have "demolished most of it and left a skeleton of the last two floors which were then "constructed". Unless of course it was meant to look just like it. I have been wrong before...

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

Surveyors were on-site today.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Did anyone make it to the public meeting that was held tonight...?

#44 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

It's a boxy glass office building, 11 floors. The facade of the building currently housing the English Sweet Shop is retained but the rest of the building goes. Parking entrance is at the west end of the site. The widened thru-block walkway on the west side of the site has several retail spaces. Seemed alright to me.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

Two gentlemen with blueprints were walking around the site this afternoon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

Land use application sign up for the site is up.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

Is rezoning required for the new proposal?

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Yup as the application includes the buildings between the current site and Odeon Alley.

Also they want to build Office/commercial and the old application was for office/commercial/residential.

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

Ahhh, mais oui! Merci, l'homme de "G".

#50 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

i like the stuff about millie's lane:

12-storey office building proposed for Yates Street
By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
June 17, 2009 7:56 AM

Concert Properties hopes to fill a hole in the 700-block of Yates Street with a 12-storey office building.

The company, which has had success with such projects as the Marriott Hotel and the Astoria and the Belvedere condominiums in the Humboldt Valley, as well as the Chelsea in Fairfield, owns the vacant lot at 726-728 Yates. It also has conditionally acquired the adjoining properties to the east, including the English Sweet Shop up to Millie's Lane.

Concert is looking to rezone the properties to build the office tower with ground-floor retail stores and two levels of underground parking.

[...]

http://www.timescolo...3918/story.html

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Coun. Pam Madoff, who sits on the city's new planning and land use standing committee, is looking forward to examining the proposal in some depth tomorrow.

In general, she said, she's not a fan of proposals that call for saving only a facade of a historic building, but said Concert seems to be working hard to make this work.

In general I'm not a fan of the complete destruction of heritage landmarks but I guess we all have our bugaboos.

This project sounds good so far though I will hold judgement till I see a mock up. The idea to improve Millie's Lane is a winner though.

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

Here's hoping the commercial spaces on this one are better than the commercial spaces in the Y-lot. Methinks it would be quite easy to muff it.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

Here's hoping the commercial spaces on this one are better than the commercial spaces in the Y-lot.

Those spaces, and to a lesser extent the ones across the street in front of the Aria, suffer from ridiculously large setbacks. I have no idea whose idea it was to create vast plazas in front of these buildings, but it certainly is no boon to the people trying to run businesses in these locations. What is Victoria's obsession with setbacks anyway? REAL cites promote interaction between the street and the ground level of buildings, while many of our newer buildings seem to shun this (see The Wave for a ground level needlessly setback). I can see no historical precedence for this, as most of our heritage buildings were built flush with the sidewalk, thus encouraging pedestrian interraction.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'm starting to think that half of retail spaces along the new Humbolt strip from Douglas to Blanshard should have been townhouses or something. There obviously isn't a population to support that much more retail. Nor will there be for a long, long time.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Methinks the population in that area isn't going to increase by much from here on out. Maybe one or two more medium-sized buildings here or there and that'll be it.

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

While we are off-topic I might add that these retail areas are new and the population not yet topped out (Aria just finished, Falls almost finished and Parkside almost finished. On top of that retail areas need many years to develop. Look at Lower Johnson, that took almost 100 years to be a vibran shopping street. With the right mix of tenants, a good project sometime in the future on the Apex site and this will be as good as any area downtown.

That said the crazy setback plaza was a mistake.

#57 DesignStyles

DesignStyles
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

... What is Victoria's obsession with setbacks anyway? REAL cites promote interaction between the street and the ground level of buildings, while many of our newer buildings seem to shun this (see The Wave for a ground level needlessly setback).

It's for all the street people to sleep at night.

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

It's for all the street people to sleep at night.

Perhaps one of the implemented suggestions from the (former) Mayor's Task Force on Homelessness. :P

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

I had to laugh at the following comment regarding this proposal from the T-C online:

That's cool. But PLEASE for the love of god make it more interesting than the CIBC building, the building at 747 Fort, or some of the other ugly things going up lately. And no, please NO more Bay Centre-esque fake facades . . . just keep it simple. Glass and concrete.

Let's see, the writer believes that both the CIBC and 747 Fort Street (The Rohani Building) have "gone up lately " - both have been part of the downtown scene for at least 30 years. He complains that they are not interesting enough, which I take to mean too glassy-concretey and modern. But then he wants the new building to not have any fake facades, but to have simple glass and concrete. Does this not COMPLETELY contradict what he said about the former buildings? Just what WOULD he like to see?

PS: Mods: this proposal is now for a 12-storey building. Should the title of this thread be updated?

#60 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

No I think I get what he is saying... More interesting in shape or interaction with the street would not be hard based on his two examples. The next sentence clarifies that by interesting he doesn't mean faux heritage.

So.. keep the simple materials of the Rohani Building but make the design more interesting.

And he listed two older buildings, then referenced some of the newer buildings with an "or"
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users