Tippa_t
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:59 PM

Northern Quarter is the best kept brunch secret in town! Weekends only though

#42 EvnKas

EvnKas
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

Okay... I am in shock.. Has no one mentioned Jam?

Jam has one of the best, if not the best breakfasts in town! And their Caesars?! AMAZING. 

Edited by EvnKas, 03 February 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#43 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

Okay... I am in shock.. Has no one mentioned Jam?

Jam has one of the best, if not the best breakfasts in town! And their Caesars?! AMAZING.

They have (IMO) the best fried chicken in town and their pancake dishes are excellent. I was a bit disapointed by their breakfact bowl though (the charlie bowl). It's kind of just a bit soggy bowl of starch.

#44 EvnKas

EvnKas
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

They have (IMO) the best fried chicken in town and their pancake dishes are excellent. I was a bit disapointed by their breakfact bowl though (the charlie bowl). It's kind of just a bit soggy bowl of starch.

Oh my gosh, I adore the Charlie Bowl haha!

#45 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

Oh my gosh, I adore the Charlie Bowl haha!

Haha, to each their own I suppose. Overall I'd say it's an excellent brunch place. Well worth the line up if you have the time!

#46 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

been to Jam a few times, it's good but I hate lining up outside in the bad weather.  We like breakfast at Spinnakers.  pulled pork hash....mmmmm.

#47 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Checked out Ruby's at Hotel Zed this morning; in spite of the buzz from my other 3 breakfast mates - consider for several years we've been exclusively Kitty's loyalists :) - I found it ok but nothing particularly spellbinding. Had the ground chorizo eggs benny & hash-browns which was fine but it didn't leave me begging for more. I will say our server was good so there was no issue with the service. The food IMO was ok but nothing to write home about.

That said clearly its a got a following as we got there at 9:30 while the 'regulars' continued to file in up to the time we left at 10:45. I do like the funky retro furniture and furnishings not to mention the two classic "Zed" VW buses in the parking lot. I'd go back but will certainly happily check out other establishments as well.

#48 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

been to Jam a few times, it's good but I hate lining up outside in the bad weather. We like breakfast at Spinnakers. pulled pork hash....mmmmm.

I am so over pulled pork.... 🤢
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#49 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

Waiting in line for breakfast is dumb.
  • Baro, Matt R., GaryRanson and 2 others like this

#50 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Agreed- but no dumber than lining up and paying over $4.00 + for a coffee. We are at the whim of advertisers. Listen to "Satisfaction" by the Stones. Words still true today and maybe even more so. Sneakers $200 and line up. Newest phones $400 and line up. And on and on it goes.

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

Checked out Ruby's at Hotel Zed this morning; in spite of the buzz from my other 3 breakfast mates - consider for several years we've been exclusively Kitty's loyalists :) -

Kitty's by the pool used to be one of our favourites, but after Kitty left it was just oh-hum and we haven't been back.

The James Bay Inn does a good breakfast.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#52 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

Zambri's (on Sundays) and Agrius are my choice when I don't want to wake up early or wait in line.  Reasonable prices for high quality ingredients, and a nice change from the usual breakfast offerings at most other places.  

• Mike K. likes this

#53 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Kitty's by the pool used to be one of our favourites, but after Kitty left it was just oh-hum and we haven't been back.

The James Bay Inn does a good breakfast.

Yeah its ok and I'm fine going but it doesn't stand out like it used to before Kitty retired and moved back to Vancouver.

• Bingo likes this

#54 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:27 PM

Check out Frankie's Modern Diner...

They serve fresh squeezed orange juice!  In fact all their sauces/compotes/relishes are made fresh in house.  It's a popular place with good food.

DSC06442.JPG

• AllseeingEye and Hotel Mike like this

#55 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

Check out Frankie's Modern Diner...

They serve fresh squeezed orange juice!  In fact all their sauces/compotes/relishes are made fresh in house.  It's a popular place with good food.

DSC06442.JPG

Second that; worked on a contract at ICBC next door last year and popped into FMD occasionally for breakfast which was always tasty.

#56 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

Yup. Been in Frankie's a number of times with a group for breakfast. Good service, good food, and good location.

#57 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

Frankie's also does spiked shakes, which gives them a special place in my heart. I went to Frankie's for my birthday meal this year, and got a grilled ham and cheese with seafood chowder and a chocolate shake (spiked with Kahlua). I was so full but happy.

I'll have to check out their breakfast. My current faves are Spoons and Floyd's.

• Mike K. and johnk like this

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

I learned from Mike that with a discreetly hidden flask, any beverage is "spiked".

• johnk likes this

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Hey!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

We do a nice breakfast with right here at home with some fresh duck eggs, garlic roasted potatoes, grilled tomatoes, sausages from the Galloping Goose guy, some quadruple smoked bacon and shiitake mushrooms from the Root Cellar, and a harvest loaf from Cobs, fresh coffee and an assortment of fresh squeezed juices.  :banana:   

• Mattjvd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users