Photo

City of Victoria - 2014-2018 Mayor and Council General Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#101 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:23 AM

Meanwhile here is her inaugural address. http://bit.ly/1tS0XH1 Not too shabby.

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

perhaps Lisa was thinking about moving forward. perhaps she is thinking that if she is going to do anything
significant she needs to work with the first nation bands in town which she referred to often and actually
opened her speech by quoting a FN representative. The whole thing is pathetic and it shows how the media can
divert our attentions away from things that matter so they can sell some air time.

Don't blame the media.  We go to news sources we want to.  They are very good at knowing what we like.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Ever?

#104 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

I was much more flummoxed by: “I have nothing against the Queen, but I do strongly support the Songhees and Esquimalt nations. This is their territory and if there’s anything to emphasize, it’s that.” - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.skLWSI8D.dpuf

So, I guess I don't understand what the practical implications are when a mayor would say that the land she helps to  govern is actually part of another nation.  

• jonny likes this

#105 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

yes vic hockey fan, just like a heroin dealer knows what their junky likes. it doesn't make it functional. And jklymak I agree and suggested in another post that Lisa and the other councilors, based on their comments, should be giving their houses and any other property they own back to the first nations if that is their position.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#106 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

yes vic hockey fan, just like a heroin dealer knows what their junky likes. it doesn't make it functional. And jklymak I agree and suggested in another post that Lisa and the other councilors, based on their comments, should be giving their houses and any other property they own back to the first nations if that is their position.

How many of them own houses?

#107 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

Don't be ridiculous. Although I am uncomfortable with the language "This is their territory" it is the truth. Blame the forefathers of not importing enough diseased blankets or signing some legal contracts....

#108 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

good question. next time we record a LG&E I will ask Lisa after we have a good laugh at all the hulla balloo
she has caused. maybe next time she will run in Esquimalt so she can avoid the issue all together.
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#109 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

I really want to know how Helps will actually govern the city, how she will vote for potentially controversial projects.  I want to know about where her allegiance to nimby groups or individual neighbourhoods vs the greater good of the city lies.  Great, she's made her feelings on allegiance to the queen clear, wonderful, next issue, maybe one that actually matters.  I've heard nothing but wishy washy middle of the road buzzwords when it comes to important issues like density and height or expensive and lengthy development processes.  Are we going to get another Fortin who will go on and on about how much he supports density in the core then be absolutely spineless when it comes to anything even remotely controversial, or are we going to get an actual leader that makes some tough choices that might slightly upset some vocal special interests in the short term but  benefit everyone in the long term?

• Nparker and jonny like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#110 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

good question Baro. she often talks about having a plan and sticking to it (ready by end of feb 2015), so issues that arise that lie outside of that plan can be "shelved" for a later date, but she also advocates community input even in situations where the OCP is clear and but still she feels public input is necessary.

I voted for her, I stick by my vote and all I can say is she is a fluid thinker looking for the right answer.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#111 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

I think this is just the beginning of hippie commune peace love and Helps-fulness.

Oh and I am not implying this to be a good thing.
  • Nparker, concorde, LJ and 1 other like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#112 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

I think too many people are really wanting to read too much into this.

#113 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Don't be ridiculous. Although I am uncomfortable with the language "This is their territory" it is the truth. Blame the forefathers of not importing enough diseased blankets or signing some legal contracts....

Victoria, Esquimalt and Saanich are actually some of the few areas where a negotiated deal with the first nations was undertaken by Sir James Douglas so most of us are not in fact living on occupied land.

http://en.wikipedia....ouglas_Treaties

I am surprised that the Mayor of the City, who has a masters degree in Canadian history, would mistakenly state that Esquimalt and Songhees First nations own the local lands and that the remainder of us are occupying it.

Edited by spanky123, 05 December 2014 - 03:34 PM.

• Nparker, rjag, LJ and 1 other like this

#114 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:59 PM

So just blame them for not enough diseased blankets then.... She should have said "traditional territory" if you were to criticize. Note, she did not say "lands". I was aware of the Douglas treaties but was under the impression they were flawed somehow. When I get some time I'm going to do some reading on this! Thanks Spanky for the nudge in that direction. 

#115 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Victoria mayor gives qualified apology for not making oath to the Queen

[...]New Victoria mayor Lisa Helps says she’s sorry for any offence caused by her decision not to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen, but that doesn’t mean she’ll call for a re-do.

“I apologize for causing offence,” she said on Upfront. “Am I going to call the judge back and take the oath of allegiance today? I’m not.”

“I think what people want in a leader is someone who’s going to be willing to say, ‘hey, we disagree, and I’m really sorry this disagreement has called offence,’ at the same time, people want a mayor who’s going to be strong in her convictions.”[...]

http://bit.ly/1yUIspM

Not wishy washy.

Edited by gumgum, 05 December 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#116 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

I further sense between her and Isitt there is gonna be a lot of renaming in the coming years to "traditional" names.

I see the oath, and her response to those upset as a line drawn in the sand.

Oh, you don't have to like our agree with me, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends!

#117 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

I wouldn't paint Issitt and Helps with the same brush.

#118 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

Oh... You may not, but I will.

And I shall paint them tie-dyed.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 05 December 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#119 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

I apologize for causing offence,” she said on Upfront. “Am I going to call the judge back and take the oath of allegiance today? I’m not.”

“I think what people want in a leader is someone who’s going to be willing to say, ‘hey, we disagree, and I’m really sorry this disagreement has called offence,’ at the same time, people want a mayor who’s going to be strong in her convictions.”[...]

It is exactly those convictions that worry me.

• sdwright.vic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#120 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

I did a little reading. Turns out the problem with the Douglas treaties isn't with them in particular. It's that he established the grounds of Aboriginal title with those agreements screwing the rest of BC. So we are good here in Victoria. 

"In concluding the Vancouver Island treaties, Governor James Douglas had recognized Aboriginal title, consistent with the principles of the Royal Proclamation of 1763.(5) However, denial of title subsequently became the enduring position taken by successive colonial and provincial policy makers.(6) After its 1871 entry into Confederation,(7) British Columbia did not subscribe to the federal government’s view that policies applied in the prairie provinces recognizing and extinguishing Aboriginal rights should extend to the province."

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users