BUILT
Turnberry
Use: subdivision
Address: Champions Court at Bear Mountain Parkway
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Turnberry is a two phase, 51 home subdivision at the Bear Mountain development in the municipality of Langford... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turnberry on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford + Highlands] Bear Mountain | 4,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
2177 replies to this topic

#61 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

GumGum

i'm curious as to why you see langfords vision as penis envy against victoria??

I wouldn't say they have penis envy towards victoria, or else wouldn't they be having to go soo big??

I'm starting to think of it as a different city into its own right. I understand this might feel wierd but people will get use to it. perhaps they are trying to create something unique that will stand out on the south island, for this i cannot blame them.

for example you have san francisco and oakland which are in the same metro however they feel totally different and are in their approach to these matters.

Not so much penis envy against Victoria, but penis envy. They want to be something too quickly and it may bite them in the ass in the end.
All the power to Langford, as I say. I have no doubt that some of the things about Langford will be better than they are in Victoria, but that's the case in many, many suburban communities, such as Orleans and Kanata, both outside of Ottawa - the communites are young and new with the richness of room to build whatever they want. But guess what? Ottawa is stilll a healthy, much desired place to live.
Part of what's happening in Langford is a natural reaction to inflated property values; but the rest is just plain greed.

#62 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

Reading these posts I'm wondering why this website isn't called vibrantlangford.ca!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#63 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:33 PM

reading the tital of this thread it's called The West Comms.

If you want to read things in the City of Victoria log in the Core section.

Don't blame us for posting langfords vision vrs what Victoria has neglected. If it bothers you that much write City Hall and tell them to get their ass in gear. Better these things are happening in Langford than in Nanaimo which they are.

Have you read Nanaimo's Conference Center's name???

Yeah it's called The Vancouver Island Conference Center. It's five times the size of Victoria's.....I am upset with that too...but don't get mad at the person posting the info....get mad at the crap job our City Council is doing allowing for other places to steal what should be Victoria's Glory.

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

It's five times the size of Victoria's.

Sounds like Nanaimo is going to need a bigger airport.

#65 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

They do need a bigger airport.

Also Victoria needs a bigger runway too.

I was working out at the airport in the 90's during the Victoria Air Show.

I was so amazed when a b-52 bomber landed there. I was like....you gotta be kidding me. But it landed with not to much room to spare.

But we do need a bigger runway. I heard one is in the planning.

I will restart this topic on the airport thread....sorry...hhahaahaa

All I have to say is it was a fun time working out there. It was at he Gov't air services before they got shut down.

#66 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

Yeah it's called The Vancouver Island Conference Center. It's five times the size of Victoria's.....I am upset with that too...but don't get mad at the person posting the info....get mad at the crap job our City Council is doing allowing for other places to steal what should be Victoria's Glory.

No one's getting mad. Chillax dude.:)

#67 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:18 PM

I wasn't mad either....hope I didn't sound mad...maybe a little intense but I wasn't mad...sorry if it sounded like it.

#68 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

Well, Nanaimo is trying to revitalize itself from being the **** hole that it is already. It's Victoria's fault for letting something that size out of it's grips. They should have asked for more money, and found a better site. But no, it's the old B.S. going on.

Bah...Bear Mountain should just open up one. Seems everything is going out in Langford anyway.

#69 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:01 AM

From the website for the Vancouver Island Concerence Centre: 38,000 sqft and 1300 people. Victoria Conference Centre: 40,000 sqft and 2500 people.

Now back to Bear Mountain...!

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

Both Scaper and Galvanized mentioned that buildings from 8 to 20-storeys are pending for the tallest portion of Skirt Mountain. If those plans do indeed come to fruition this is what we could be looking at:

I think it looks silly. Those towers stick out like sore thumbs out there atop the mountain. However, the development of these structures might start changing opinions about building highrises and prominent structures where they undeniably belong: downtown.

I don't mind highrises in the burbs so long as they're connected to amenities and transportation nodes, but building such towers with a disconnect from the rest of the community? I dunno...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

Question: there's already an ~8 story building on Bear Mountain, right? The Westin resort? Can it be seen from anywhere?

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:08 PM

The Westin is six storeys and an 8 or 9-storey building is in the early stages of construction. And no, you can't see see the Westin as its in the valley. The folks at BM say that not even the 23-storey Soaring Peaks will be visible from the south as its within the Skirt Mtn valley. Ditto for the 14-storey Highlander. From Highlands and perhaps other points north those taller towers might poke through.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:00 AM

You may not be able to see Soaring Peaks or the Highlander from Vic... but if you drive west on McKenzie Ave from Finnerty (alongside the Stadium) you can clearly see a crane for one of them :!:
If you can see the crane, then I wouldn't be surprised if the propsed 35-storey towers would be visible :wink:

NANAIMO... I used to say the nicest thing about Nanaimo is being able to drive around it!!! Then I went and married a girl from Nanaimo...

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

I found an Edmonton condo guide on the bookshelf in my building's common area. I noticed one building that looks very similar to the Tudor highrise going up on Bear Mountain. The Bear Mountain one is a little more detailed, but they're very similar. Can't remember the name of it and I didn't keep the book, but I was wondering if there was a connection.

Condo design in Edmonton leaves much to be desired. The best looking buiding in that entire magazine wouldn't even make the top ten in Victoria.

#75 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

yes I agree, yet the scaring thing is that there is a handful more in the woodworks and like hungryryno said above....they are over 30 stories...

So I do believe you will be able to see these towers.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

Gold rush at Bear Mountain
Albertans Dean and Jacquie Mein purchased their second condominium at Bear Mountain yesterday.
Photograph by : Bruce Stotesbury, Times Colonist
Jeff Bell, with files from Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist
Published: Monday, November 13, 2006
Albertan Dean Mein signed on for his second Bear Mountain condominium yesterday before heading out for 18 holes on the rain-soaked golf course.

"Why not, I'm a die-hard," he said of his golfing plans. "I golf in all kinds of weather."

[...]
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

The third building is Soaring Peaks, planned for 23 stories.

After these condo offerings, the developers are expected to concentrate on building the village centre, modelled on a Whistler concept.

Peggy Prill, a Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. analyst, said Greater Victoria is looking at a seven-year high in condo listings.

But, the practice of selling condos before there is even a hole in the ground and for some developments to be sold and never built, is making it difficult to get accurate comparisons, she said.

"Seven years ago there wasn't that trend, so we're not really comparing apples and apples," she said.

"It's difficult to tell whether there's going to be a shift in the market from these things."
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#78 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

From that article, I think this bit is really intriguing:

...the crowd was much smaller because most buyers stayed home and did their shopping via computer, Sproule said.

Sales worth tens of millions of dollars were made through the Internet "almost sight unseen," he said. Online tours of the yet-to-be-built condominium buildings were the norm, as were remote purchases. "We've invested heavily in the graphic aspect of things and computer-generated models."

That allowed people from around the world to look take part, Sproule said.

"We have people in Egypt, Scotland and Ireland who have virtually seen the building," he said. Not all were buyers, although a sale did go through to Irish buyers who heard about Bear Mountain through friends.

If small potatoes online shopping (so to speak and [url=https://www.spud.ca/index.cfm?action=logout&t=5:d2d2a]literally[/url:d2d2a]), as well as sites like [url=http://secondlife.com/:d2d2a]Second Life[/url:d2d2a], make it feel increasingly "natural" to buy and sell online, why not real estate, too? At that level, it comes down to trust and the vendor's reputation for getting a top-quality product into the system. If the vendor captures that trust (based on testimonials -- i.e., conversations by other buyers, now easily overheard online), then there's nothing he or she can't sell. "Markets are conversations," as the folks at [url=http://www.cluetrain.com/:d2d2a]Cluetrain Manifesto[/url:d2d2a] (David Weinberger, Doc Searls, Chris Locke) already told us nearly a decade ago...

In that academic paper I pointed to in one of the other threads ([url=http://www.unesco.org/most/martinot.htm:d2d2a]The new social morphology of cities[/url:d2d2a]), Guido Martinotti writes:

The main point is that today, large cities the world over are compressed in the superimposition of two great technological cycles: the one based on material transportation and the one on information transmission. The succession of these two cycles can be conceptualized not in terms of straight substitution, as many erroneous evaluations hinted in the past, but in terms of competing functions. Up to now it can be said that the cost of any transported unit has tendentially decreased. From now on this is probably not true anymore, if real costs with externalities are taken into account. It is fairly certain that the cost of any information unit transmitted will rapidly decrease, and will probably continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Hence, we can expect a future re-adaptation of many social and economic activities, the depth of which cannot be underrated, but the quality of which still has to be evaluated.

If previously we depended here, on Vancouver Island, mainly on resource exploitation (and therefore the material transportation of goods), we're now feeling the squeeze or force of that other technological cycle, the one based on information transmission. The cost of transmitting information is decreasing all the time, while (if externalities are taken into account) the cost of transporting real goods increases. Ok, Victoria and Bear Mountain aren't "large cities" as referenced by Martinotti, but I think part of the "holy cow, what's happening here?" aspect of development in "lifestyle choice" communities like Bear Mountain is being shaped by the fact that "lifestyle" is information, which gets transmitted really quickly -- and bought and sold nearly as fast, too.

Eco-tourism can exploit the same aspects... Economic success depends on delivering a great product and on making sure that customers have "conversations" (testimonials, buzz). It's all information.

Sorry if this totally off topic and not a little obtuse. I'm just really interested in this particular aspect (information, how it spreads, what it means economically)...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

Ok, so I guess it'll soon be official: the tallest building in the capital regional district will rise in Langford, on Skirt Mountain of all places! Who would have thought?

Know it all.

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:11 AM

Nanaimo wants it own Bear Mountain.

Interesting note about the rezoning process taking 6 months in that city. But certainly not in Victoria, where it takes around two years for a single building!

Nanaimo takes cue from Bear Mountain
CanWest News Service

NANAIMO — Nanaimo could be on par with Victoria and get its own version of the spectacular Bear Mountain resort.
Cable Bay Lands Inc. want to develop a golf course, town centre, marina, and a broad range of residential housing, including single-family homes, multiple-family homes and highrise condominiums near the Duke Point Highway.
The hugely successful Bear Mountain resort generates millions of dollars from condo sales, and draws tourists from around the world.
The proposed development would require city council members to alter the land use from rural resource to a suburban neighbourhood and resort centre designation.
The review process typically takes six months and involves public consultation and public hearings, said community planning manager Andrew Tucker.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users