Photo

CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#81 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

Susan Woods responds to cancellation of show: http://www.pugetsoun...l?m-1254956614/

Happy to say that after considerable discussion, an agreement has been reached between myself and CTV Chum Ltd.

Just to finish the story. Cheers Sue

#82 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:34 AM

I only usually listen to CFAX while in bed, either at night or in hte morning on my days off.

Got a call yesterday at 5 o'clock from CFAX asking me if I knew the newsmaker that hour.. I didn't win the $375 :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

Murray Langdon on CFAX this morning, at least from 11:30am to noon was a repeat of a program that aired before Christmas. They did not advertise or indicate it was a repeat.

They have hit a new low, repeating a weekday talk show.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

On the 2:30pm news today, CFAX repeated their report about the RCMP at the Powell River ferry terminal, but reported it as being today. Complete with a clip of Deborah Marshall explaining the situation. Now, I realize that today's news-speaker was likely off yesterday, but she ought to skim over yesterdays news, don't ya think? Then she would know the shat she is writing today is old news.

#85 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

I only usually listen to CFAX while in bed, either at night or in hte morning on my days off.

Got a call yesterday at 5 o'clock from CFAX asking me if I knew the newsmaker that hour.. I didn't win the $375 :(

:)Thanks for the smile. I wonder how many years they've had 'newsmaker of the hour'.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

CFAX started their "wake-up" show at 6am today, rather than the regular 5am. Can't tell if it is a permanent change, they did not say anything on the air about the different time.

Joe Easingwood is "away for a few weeks" (from his regular 9-10am slot) they say. No specifics.

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

CFAX started their "wake-up" show at 6am today, rather than the regular 5am. Can't tell if it is a permanent change, they did not say anything on the air about the different time.

Same again today, and another repeated segment on the Murray Langdon show today, from about 6 days ago.

#88 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Joe Easingwood is "away for a few weeks" bonus (from his regular 9-10am slot) they say. No specifics.

Why on earth would anyone want to be up at that time, it's all dark and ugly, at least that's what I am told.:D
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

I am up at 5:30 each day not by choice though.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

Murray Langdon show today at 10am is a repeat from about a week ago.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

OK, so I know I now sound like a broken record, but:

Last night from 9-midnight was a repeat Sportstalk show from October 2009.
Every talk-show today from 9am and right through to 9pm are repeats, some from just a few days ago, some a week or two old. I guess the only person they wanted to pay stat. pay to today was the news-reader, thankfully those were not repeats. In the past, CFAX ran their regular programs on statutory holidays, often they would do lots of "open-phones", as they thought that gave those that might normally be at work a chance to get on air. Now that I think about it, they don't do open-phones (no topic) anymore, unless Joes still does a few. None of the other hosts do no-topic shows. On many of the segments now they do not take callers, or on some they do not ask for callers, but they will take the odd call if someone does call in I guess.

#92 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

I have three words for you: see bee see.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

I have three words for you: see bee see.

I have a philosophical reason to not listen to that corporation that takes $1M of our taxpayer money every year. I can't seem to get around it. It's sort of like An Inconvenient Truth, I wanted to mock it intelligently, but could not bring myself to go watch it, if it was going to mean that Al Gore got some of my money. Granted, if I listen to CBC they get no more or no less of my money, but somehow it makes me feel dirty.

#94 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

I have a philosophical reason to not listen to that corporation that takes $1M of our taxpayer money every year. I can't seem to get around it. It's sort of like An Inconvenient Truth, I wanted to mock it intelligently, but could not bring myself to go watch it, if it was going to mean that Al Gore got some of my money. Granted, if I listen to CBC they get no more or no less of my money, but somehow it makes me feel dirty.

Are you sure about that figure, I thought it was a lot higher.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#95 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

^^No commercials, good regional, national, international coverage, great music (radio 2 and 3). My god man, you're philosophies are failing you!

Do you subscribe to this inner turmoil every time you go to the doctor or the library?:P

And yes I see the CBC as vital as medical coverage and free books. I'm weird like that.

\/ Oh hi davek!

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Are you sure about that figure, I thought it was a lot higher.

Whoops, I meant $1B. :(

#97 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

I can't go outside because taxes pay for the streets :(
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#98 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

VHF, i share your frustration. CFAX has hit an all new low with repeat broadcasts, and you're right, the 'open phone' segments are nearly non-existent. i think it's simply due to the fact that the on-air "talent" at the moment can't swing it. love him or hate him, Easingwood can can handle cold calls, and if he doesn't understand the issue he just argues about it. can be entertaining either way. Langdon is capable, but chooses not to do it. Stirling does nothing but interrupt everybody in his path, hoping to one day be Charles Adler, so even if he took open calls nobody would be able to speak. The only time open phones actually happen with real dialogue is when Stephen Andrew from A Channel guest hosts. i used to look forward to Stat Holidays just to hear him fill in for somebody.

as for the news today.....being New Years, slept in and tuned into the 11am news. no mention whatsoever of New Years Eve, apparently it didn't happen, which brings us back to the "police blotter" debate. but no worries, she had the story about the PCL labour settlement, which took place and was reported on before last night's festivities. always handy to have copy left over from the night before, saves having to find "new" news.

as for the CBC option.....yeah, they're great most of the time. and when they're not, they don't have to worry thanks to the Canadian Taxpayer. that's the difference to be remembered when comparing them to Private stations. Private stations rely on advertising revenue and when they drop the ball it's up to the public to call them on it, letting the advertisers know that their investment isn't working. if you think the CBC isn't carrying its weight (yes, loyal followers- it happens on occasion), go ahead and complain to its source of revenue. when you're done, wink at yourself in the mirror.

but back to the topic at hand, CFAX- as the legendary Ken Dobson would say......"oh, my shattered nerves."

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

Another new low. The 11pm news tonight was the canned national news that usually doesn't appear until 1am on weekdays, and 12midnight on weekends. I've never heard the 11pm not be local. Brutal.

#100 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

Rather than re-runs, I'm sure enough people here would be willing to volunteer. I think we could have a wide range of shows:

-The Libertarian Hour (Call-in)
-Swingin' Bachelor Pad (Lifestyle)
-It Was Better in the 1950s (History)
-Food Cart of the Week (On Location)
-Eye On City Hall (Politics)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users