CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#1421 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:25 PM

there is a letter in today’s TC from a Pamela McColl on salt spring.

https://www.timescol...irms-1.24351799

I wonder if that is the former CFAX staffer and talk host.

Oh hold on. That’s McCall and she is in Utah now.

https://www.linkedin...-mccall-624b558

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 August 2021 - 01:26 PM.

#1422 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 08:34 PM

Stephen Andrew will be on CFAX with Al Ferraby, Friday morning at 8:20.

• On the Level likes this

#1423 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:32 AM

Heard a general Amazon ad on CFAX today.   "Shop Amazon for kids clothing, save money" etc.

Interesting.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2022 - 10:33 AM.

#1424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:49 AM

Yes. I thought it was a Walmart ad.

The tag/phrase is very similar too, same construct. Walmart’s is Save More. Live Better.

Amazon’s is Spend Less. Smile More.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1425 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 06:36 PM

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

#1426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 07:45 PM

Ok, that’s good.

Stirling is focusing now on all of the attacks against non ~TV~aligned council candidates.

It’s getting really bad. Much of the vitriol is focused on Janice Williams.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 10:21 PM

...It’s getting really bad. Much of the vitriol is focused on Janice Williams.

Of course it is. That is how the TV-ers aka SJWs operate.

• Barrrister likes this

#1428 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 07:07 AM

#1429 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 04:46 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.12.13-07_45_35.png

#1430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 07:46 AM

9-1 now, that’s one heck of a long format for talk radio. I guess Toronto must really like the guy.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#1431 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:34 AM

9-1 now, that’s one heck of a long format for talk radio. I guess Toronto must really like the guy.

It is although back in the day when CKNW ruled the airwaves in Western Canada, especially the talk format, heavyweights like Gary Bannerman, Bill Good, Rafe Mair, Phil Till etc would go that long essentially from 9am through the broadcast day right to 6pm, just swapping out hosts periodically after 3-4 hours.

• Mike K. likes this

#1432 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 01:18 AM

Looks like someone couldn't handle a bit of parody and got an account suspended.

Attached Images

• FtrhktNaQAEmDhu.jpeg

#1433 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 01:45 AM

Parody is one thing, and it's fine. 

But that account was trying too hard to impersonate Stirling, and that's not allowed.

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.04.15-05_48_13.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2023 - 01:48 AM.

• sebberry likes this

#1434 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 08 June 2023 - 09:08 AM

Stirling is back after a sick break. Yup, talking Langford as if he'd never left. Too much else going on in the region / world to listen to this crap over and over. Somebody let me know when he moves on. C'ya CFAX.

Edited by Lorenzo, 08 June 2023 - 09:09 AM.

#1435 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 08:08 PM

Why has Stirling turned off comments on his twitter feed?

#1436 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 24 June 2023 - 08:51 PM

Why has Stirling turned off comments on his twitter feed?

Because of this post I went and checked his Twitter feed.

Two things struck me:  1) His incessant, never ending rambling about all things Langford made absolutely no difference in the election outcome.

and 2) The poor guy is probably sitting home on a Saturday night serial tweeting when in reality nobody G's AF.  

#1437 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 07:55 AM

Are you sure?

Langford council had intimated they were voted in by a ‘greener’ Langford population, who are more environmentally conscious. Stirling argued it was the product of a strong ground game with indirect help from the BC Greens vs. general voter apathy because most residents expected Stew et al to win like they did for 30 years.

In the by-election, Stew’s candidate and the development industry’s candidate (Parmar) stormed the election.

How does that make Stirling wrong? If Langford had turned green, would Parmar have taken over 50% of the vote, with the Greens falling behind the Conservatives? The election was a flop for the Greens, and now Furstenau is at risk of losing her base when her riding is split in the next general election as Sooke/Metchosin is heavily pro-NDP. Her base is in the Shawnigan area.

Quite frankly creating the Juan de Fuca-Malahat riding really does look like gerrymandering with an agenda.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

#1438 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 09:33 AM

Stirling is back after a sick break. Yup, talking Langford as if he'd never left. Too much else going on in the region / world to listen to this crap over and over. Somebody let me know when he moves on. C'ya CFAX.

I don't understand the hate for Langford council and some of the trivial issues he keeps droning on about. I think that if Adam broadened the scope of people he was listening to he would find that in general Langford voters are willing to give the new council a chance. Sure nobody likes a 12% tax increase but even Stu told folks to expect 8%+ when he was Mayor and that was before the pool and other issues came to light.

I have to imaging that Victoria council is quite happy though, they are pretty much getting a free pass these days!

Edited by spanky123, 25 June 2023 - 09:34 AM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#1439 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 09:36 AM

We all seem to be trading in anecdotes, though. The only real data is the election. Parmar was the development industry’s candidate.

Know it all.

#1440 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 25 June 2023 - 09:45 AM

Are you sure?

Langford council had intimated they were voted in by a ‘greener’ Langford population, who are more environmentally conscious. Stirling argued it was the product of a strong ground game with indirect help from the BC Greens vs. general voter apathy because most residents expected Stew et al to win like they did for 30 years.

In the by-election, Stew’s candidate and the development industry’s candidate (Parmar) stormed the election.

How does that make Stirling wrong? If Langford had turned green, would Parmar have taken over 50% of the vote, with the Greens falling behind the Conservatives? The election was a flop for the Greens, and now Furstenau is at risk of losing her base when her riding is split in the next general election as Sooke/Metchosin is heavily pro-NDP. Her base is in the Shawnigan area.

Quite frankly creating the Juan de Fuca-Malahat riding really does look like gerrymandering with an agenda.

Mike, I will never go toe to toe arguing Langford politics with you. You are obviously better informed and connected than I'll ever be. I speak as a lifelong non political Langford resident who just calls things as I see them.

Langford Council is wrong. They can say all they want but they were voted in on voter apathy to be sure, as well as a heavy dose of Stew fatique. At least in the case of my average, middle class Langford 'hood.

I always assumed that Parmar was a card carrying BC Liberal. I never figured him to be a NDP'er. Was actually quite surprised when he announced his candidacy. You mentioned he was Stew's candidate. Got me wondering about a Trojan Horse scenario. I wondered how Parmar could be Stew's candidate, yet be a dipper. But I guess if you are sitting on all that juicy School District land, it all makes sense.

Langford will never be Green in my lifetime. I say this tongue in cheek as a lifelong Langford resident, but there still way too much plaid here to be anything but NDP for awhile yet. 

The Greens didn't get "flopped". They did as well as I and everyone else expected they would. I was surprised at the Conservative result. A bit of an eye opener.

Parmar would have taken 50% of the vote regardless.

I agree that Furstenau is in trouble.

Gerrymandering....they all do it.

As this is the CFAX thread, I'll weigh in on Stirling. I don't think he is as influential as he thinks he is. He may carry more weight at the Municipal level, but is he willing to keep his foot on the Langford gas pedal for another three years? What does he hope to accomplish? His show has deteriorated to an absurd level. He is just the mouthpiece for a small but whiny group of disgruntled voters and regular callers.

I used to be an avid Stirling fan. Didn't always agree with him but was willing to listen to what he and his guests had to say. He started going off the rails around the time he perceived the NDP was going to call an early election. It became an obsession. Then after the Langford results, he thought he smelled a rat and started down that path. He was really miffed that Goodmanson wouldn't come on his show. Seemed to take it personally. His show has just slid down a bizarre rabbit hole. I hope he finds his way back, for the sake of the entire Greater Victoria area.

I used to listen every day. Now its one, maybe 2 days a week, and quite often turn it off as soon as I hear "Langford", or any of the aforementioned callers.

Edited by Lorenzo, 25 June 2023 - 06:09 PM.

• martini likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users